Sponsored by:

Clutch Smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch Smell

I got my clutch replaced 400 miles ago which was around 37,000 miles on my 07 C2S. I gave it a run through the gears getting on an onramp and noticed a burning clutch smell in the cabin. I was shifting around 6k in each gear. Do you think this is just a new clutch getting broke in or is there another problem? I never drop the clutch or do any high rpm take offs. On another note, I've noticed my new clutch is a lot easier to push in which I'm not sure I like. Has anyone noticed that kind of difference after getting a new clutch? I had all the work performed at dealer.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Two issues strike me with this question. First, you have replaced your original clutch at 37,000 miles. This reflects clutch abuse. These cars should go easily to 100,000 miles before you replace it.

When you state that you smell a burning clutch smell post-clutch repair it's clear that you know that smell. Shifting around 6,000 rpm is not the issue. The issue to me appears to your footwork at 6000 rpm.

Are you stopping your accelerating with the 'go pedal' when you put your foot into the clutch pedal? If you continue to use the accelerator in any way when you start to activate the clutch, you are accelerating your clutch wear. Manual transmission cars can be extremely reliable and relatively low maintenance if you are careful to observe certain rules of foot work. First, you should minimize the amount of time that you are using both pedals simultaneously. There is an art to this.

So far as a difference after getting a new clutch the only thing most owners will notice is where the clutch appears to be disengaging the tranny from the engine. Sometimes it takes more or less pedal action to accomplish full disengagement. A great element of this has been eliminated on the S models in that there is a self-adjusting clutch which as the clutch wears should result in a seamless change in the pedal feel.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm for sure coming off the gas when I'm shifting. I've been driving manual cars for 20 years and have never had to replace a clutch so I doubt it's abuse. I see quite a few people people on this board who have had to replace their clutch earlier than mine. I do drive a lot in the city so I'm sure that had something to do with increased use.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
z06rick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone assumes abuse with a clutch replacement at such low miles. Based on my experience and the posts on this forum and others, there does seem to be an issue with pressure plates failing with mostly city driven 997's. Mine was replaced at just over 20k mi, under warranty. Clutch was perfect, pressure plate broke during initial start up one morning.

When I picked the car up from the dealer after replacement, I did notice the clutch felt much easier. Does that mean the new pressure plate has been revised due to this issue? Don't know, or it could be as the problem progressed, effort increased without feeling it.

As far as the clutch smell, don't recall it being a problem after initial miles. May need to have a few more miles on it before 6,000 RPM shifts.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I got my clutch replaced 400 miles ago which was around 37,000 miles on my 07 C2S. I gave it a run through the gears getting on an onramp and noticed a burning clutch smell in the cabin. I was shifting around 6k in each gear. Do you think this is just a new clutch getting broke in or is there another problem? I never drop the clutch or do any high rpm take offs. On another note, I've noticed my new clutch is a lot easier to push in which I'm not sure I like. Has anyone noticed that kind of difference after getting a new clutch? I had all the work performed at dealer.
As with brake pads the clutch friction disc can outgas a bit as it gets used and after it gets good and hot after being installed.

Then there is a breaking in process. The disc, flywheel, and pressure plate need to wear together and in doing so less than full contact can take place initially and the clutch disc can run a bit hotter than it will after this break in process is over.

Unless you tell me you detect clutch slippage or you are using the clutch to hold the car on a grade I'm going with the outgassing due to the reasons I covered above.

Along with the car was worked on and the exhaust system gets handled which might have it smudged in places with oily/greasy hand prints.

The techs I watch are pretty careful but sometimes even the best get a mite sloppy.

So the first couple of times afterwards the engine/exhaust can stink and it could be just your imagination (fueled by concern for the clutch) that has it smelling like the clutch.

If you continue to smell this odor or if the car/clutch acts up in any way take the car back and have this looked into. The tech should be willing to take the time to address any concerns you have about the work that was done and the outcome.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Clutch Smell