997.2 Targa or Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Bdal451
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Targa or Carrera?

Hi all
I need some advice please. I am in the market for a 2009 Targa or Carrera 4S. I am leaning toward the Targa because seem to be fewer, I think I prefer the rear hatch opening access...but I am fairly certain that I won't open the roof much.

For those of you who own a Targa have you utilized the roof, or rear glass opening as you thought? Or do you think the C4S is better due to the structural stability the hard top provides?

Thanks in advance for all inputs
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Targa is a beautiful car. Hatch makes it very versatile too. Be prepared for for the odd squeak and rattle.....all eliminated by good maintenance by the owner. C4 is a great handling car.

I track my 997.1 targa and its pretty quick.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdal451
Hi all
I need some advice please. I am in the market for a 2009 Targa or Carrera 4S. I am leaning toward the Targa because seem to be fewer, I think I prefer the rear hatch opening access...but I am fairly certain that I won't open the roof much.

For those of you who own a Targa have you utilized the roof, or rear glass opening as you thought? Or do you think the C4S is better due to the structural stability the hard top provides?

I bought my first Porsche just a couple of weeks ago, did no research, no nothing; just test drove the thing and came back a day later and took it home.....it was very fun and I WAS looking for another 'fun' car......
the more I found out about my Targa the more I realized it was the perfect choice for me......plenty of pep, a cool color, (guards red) and the glass top making it a very rare car......and I'm hoping that will help the resale value in the future, if I decide to sell it you know? or trade it towards something else in the Porsche family......I do use the roof and really enjoy that open feeling as I'm not a huge fan of convertables......it's also a 4S so I have that bump in HP and TQ too I think.....
I try as best I can to take care of my cars, and don't plan on skimping on anything when it comes to service, but not just throwing money away either....trying to play it smart, I have already found an indy shop in my area and this forum too so I guess I'm heading in the right direction...
and PLUS the time behind the wheel really brings a smile to my face, despite my
left leg being sore for the clutch lol
Originally Posted by surathdp
Targa is a beautiful car. Hatch makes it very versatile too. Be prepared for for the odd squeak and rattle.....all eliminated by good maintenance by the owner. C4 is a great handling car.

wow, sounds I have an auto cousin to your car
Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

also head over to the 997 board
Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Drive both and see which one you like most. The Targa weighs a bit more but so does the C4S compared to a C2S or Carrera. The S cars give you a few upgrades like suspension and 19" wheels and engine performance. Either way....you can't go wrong. Personally, I'd be leaning toward the "S". If the Targa was and "S" then I go for that over C4S.

Hi all

Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The targa will be also heavier.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Bdal451
Intermediate

Thanks all
For clarification I'm looking at Targa 4S or a Carrera 4S
It's the roof I'm unsure of...

Btw a big shout out to rotesAuto for the profile pic...very nice
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all
For clarification I'm looking at Targa 4S or a Carrera 4S
It's the roof I'm unsure of...

Btw a big shout out to rotesAuto for the profile pic...very nice
glad to have been of help
I am really happy with my Targa, the roof is awesome; not like it's a daily
driver......however: I did bump into an old friends dad who is a P car man and said, "ahhh, well, I wouldn't open it up...." and that did raise my eyebrow a bit.....but you know what else? if it does run into a problem, I will have it solved....I'm ready to give it the care it deserves.....
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 AM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have an 09 Targa and love it.
It was a bit of serendipity to be honest. Saw it. Drove it. Loved it. Made the deal and that was that.
I definitely use the roof. Use that hatch even more.
No real reason to be unsure of the roof. The functionality is terrific. And the open / voluminous feel inside the cockpit (with the roof closed) could be the best feature of this model.
Fantastic overall driving experience.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi all

If you don't appreciate the ability to open the big roof, or the additional illumination and spacious feel the roof provides, then a Targa isn't the car for you. You shouldn't pick it because its uncommon. If the hatch is critical -eg you want to go golfing with it a lot, then that will be a big issue as I can imagine putting clubs in and out via leaning the seat forward gets old quick.

Rigidity is irrelevant.. if it maters to you, I'm assuming you are tracking the car a lot and then, again, the Targa is the wrong model for that purpose.

If you need/want a roof rack, the hard roof Carrera is the right choice - the Targa likely doesn't take a roof rack.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

When I first got the car, I rarely opened the roof but now, I open my roof all the time.. It's a great feature in warm or cold weather. The hatch was the clincher for me. You have no idea how many Porsche owners approach me to find out who installed the hatch!!! Go for the Targa.. I've had mine for 5 years now (it has just shy of 70k miles on it) and have only seen 4 others.. 3 of which were in Florida.

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Rigidity is irrelevant.. if it maters to you, I'm assuming you are tracking the car a lot and then, again, the Targa is the wrong model for that purpose.
Hi,

I am in the same boat and undecided between a 2009 C4S and a 2009 C4S Targa. (I will be upgrading from a Boxster S, so I'd like to keep some of that Convertible feeling)
I love the Targa, but I usually go to the track 10 times / year.
I am looking for the perfect combination of daily driver and capable track machine.

You write that the Targa is the wrong model for that purpose. Why would that be?
I understand that the Targa is around 120 lb more top heavy than the normal C4S (I am working very hard to put more pounds into the driver's seat to balance that out ;-) Turkey-day should be another milestone on achieving that goal ...

Any other reason?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I have a C4,get the Targa
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp

Any problems with rigidity/structural weakness on the track?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
911SF
Intermediate

I have the same dilemma and have decided to buy whichever car is local to me with the right options (i.e. most of 'em)

I like the idea of a Targa 4S and I also understand why a Carrera 4S with a sunroof might be better car. I'll take either ;-)

PS - My last 3 cars have been cabs (one 997 and two S5's) - but i live in the UK and have finally realised that during the few hot days we have here - I shouldn't be in my car!

Last edited by 911SF; 12-08-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Targa or Carrera?