Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS DIY 997.1 S owners please chime in…

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an "03" 996 that had some oil underneath the car. I suspected RMS and took it in to RAC Performance here in Dallas. Before you panic, it's most likely the RMS. While they were in there I had them change the IMS for complete peace of mind. You've already paid for the labor to fix the RMS, so very much worth spending the extra $700 for the New IMS!! After it was all said and done, it was just the RMS. My IMS was in perfect shape and this was on an "03" 996 with 30K. Total out the door cost to have the new LN IMS and RMS along with adjustment of clutch, etc. was $1500.00.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Thanks Rob.. I'm hopeing that it is just a RMS like you said and also that the Dealership kicks in some $$..

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome..

thanks again..
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Good Luck!! Looking forward to hearing some good news from you..
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually, he IS RIGHT about Internet having all the horror stories. Think about it, who would post somethin here? Someone whose engine fails? or people who's got no problems, reporting they got no problems. So, it's totally skewed. The ratio of failure is in sub-5% range for M96 engines (pre-2006).

Do not panic at all. IF IMS failed you would have noticed for sure. This is mostly RMS.

I'd take it to an indy for a 2nd opinion as to what it might be, if dealership dismisses it or doesn't wanna fix it.

Now, if you got clutch problems, or think of doing that soon, then do a overhaul, clutch, IMS, RMS like the other thread below about the same thing.

Originally Posted by cameronl
The car is a 2005 (late 2004 production car) Carrera S w/23k one owner car that I just bought what two months ago. I just did a oil change two weeks ago after buying the car. The next one was due at 24k so I decided to go ahead and do it myself. The dealership didn’t do it as I asked and they said they didn’t do it.. I still have the oil and I’m thinking about looking at the oil to see if I can see and shavings or etc, because at that point I was still unclear where it was coming from and the poetical catastrophic damage it could do to the motor.. I’m really afraid to drive the car now. It’s like all the excitement that I had for the car has totally been blown away.. I know I need to stop freaking out about it but I can’t see myself having to put another poetical $25k into a new motor..

So I went up to the dealership and spoke to the Service Manager. He was telling me this is common and that it’s most likely a RMS and not the IMS. He also said that he has only replaced this the IMS or two motors in 911’s. I’m sure he is blowing some smoke as he can’t really be forth coming about every little problem. I know how this works trust me. He also was commenting on the fact about the internet that it’s basically all horror stories and not to worry. I didn’t want to **** the guy off yet and tell him that he was full of it because I basically asked what could he do for me. The internet is a great place to find out all the info you need for anything and this forum is also a great tool. So getting back to me asking him and his response was they needed to see the car and determine where the leak was coming from. Well I know this it’s either the RMS or the IMS seeing where the oil is coming from and the only true way to figure this out is pull the trans. I’ve tried cleaning the area to see if it was truly a leak or a sloppy oil change in the past and this Saturday after pulling the car on ramps I noticed a fresh drop of oil on the transmission. So he basically told me that as of Service there was nothing he could do (as far as pitching on any money) but the Sales Department might since I bought the car from them. I’m taking the car in next Tuesday so they can see what needs to happen next.

Sorry for being all over this place I’m just a little stressed at this point. I hope that I’m not too late if it is truly the IMS. I really hope that I’m over reacting..
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
cameronl
Advanced

I agree, if I'm in there I mine as well do it all. Then I'll be good for many miles to come.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Bingo.....
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In talking to my Indy mechanic last week who also modifies and actively races Porsche cars, he said the IMS issue is highly exaggerated and in reality around 2-5% have had this issue. He said to change oil regularly and drive the car hard, do not baby it, lower RPMs gear changes will intensify this issue.

Quick Reply: IMS DIY 997.1 S owners please chime in…