Sponsored by:

'06 Carrera S odd transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Carrera S odd transmission fluid leak

Car has 80k miles, runs perfect, but in July after driving at a fairly quick pace on the freeway I get home and instantly smell transmission fluid. Look under the car and the whole rear, driver side, of the car is coated with trans fluid. Its everywhere! Cant tell where it came from. I take it to my shop and they replace the driver side axle flange seal. Cool. I drive it around normally for the next 700 miles, no leaks. Then the other day I take a spirited drive at a century plus and come home to the transmission smell again. Look underneath, and same thing as before. Transmission fluid all over the driver side rear. Take it back to my shop, they look it over and they say they cant find the leak. So they want me to take it and drive it fast and then bring it back to them once it's leaking again, Huh? My old 996tt had an odd coolant leak that was on again and off again, randomly happening and then not, took two years to finally find that one. Now i have a random transmission leak from somewhere? Anybody have any ideas? Seems to only do it after driving it fast.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting. altho, i've never heard of this on any board and since i also know some shops arent the greatest and will charge you for anything, i'll ask: are you/they sure it's trans fluid? is your coolant ok? reservoir is on the drivers side. how about your brake fluid? (clutch bleeder faces driver side and runs off that reservoir).
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Positive its tranny fluid...clutch fluid has a different smell. So I went and picked it up today and took it for a century plus drive and then drove it back to the shop....dry as a bone. No leak. Weird!

Oh well, will keep an eye on it I guess.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, that's an odd one, then. well, if you ever do solve the riddle, be sure to post here as it may help others in the future.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinr
....dry as a bone. No leak. Weird!
Not to overstate the obvious, but there IS still fluid in the trans, right?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Haha...no doubt.
Yes there is still fluid left. The leak wasn't huge just enough to be messy. The shop double checked and topped it off just to be sure.

Quick Reply: '06 Carrera S odd transmission fluid leak