997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Does Burning Clutch Smell Like?

Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Does Burning Clutch Smell Like?

I posted a few weeks ago about getting an burning odor after making high rpm(above 5k) shifts. I've noticed that the clutch seems to be slipping some on starts. THe car is an 07 C2S with 37,000 miles. Being an S i believe it has a self adjusting clutch which i'm really not sure how that works or how you tell if you're clutch is going. I never abuse the clutch with high rpm launches however I do do alot of city driving higher rpm shifts, could my clutch really be gone at 37k? I'm thinking it may be the clutch that I'm smelling, could someone describe the smell? If it is the clutch, I assume a tech can't check to see how much is left? Do I wait until it completely goes out or just replace it? I was thinking of doing my water pump and serpentine belt at the same time? Opinions?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Same as cooked brakes. Every once in a while when you're on the highway and surrounded by trucks with traffic coming to a halt quickly you'll get a whiff of overcooked brakes.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I posted a few weeks ago about getting an burning odor after making high rpm(above 5k) shifts. I've noticed that the clutch seems to be slipping some on starts. THe car is an 07 C2S with 37,000 miles. Being an S i believe it has a self adjusting clutch which i'm really not sure how that works or how you tell if you're clutch is going. I never abuse the clutch with high rpm launches however I do do alot of city driving higher rpm shifts, could my clutch really be gone at 37k? I'm thinking it may be the clutch that I'm smelling, could someone describe the smell? If it is the clutch, I assume a tech can't check to see how much is left? Do I wait until it completely goes out or just replace it? I was thinking of doing my water pump and serpentine belt at the same time? Opinions?
Unless you were leaving the clutch partially engaged for a long time during those shifts that burning odor was (probably) not the clutch.

More likely just the smell of a hot engine, drivetrain, exhaust, tires/brakes.

The hot exhaust system can put off a ozone like smell coupled with the smell of the hot cosmoline that is sprayed on the engine/drivetrain can really stink.

Get the engine/drive train up to temp. In 4th gear at say 3K floor the throttle. If the clutch is slipping you'll know it. If it slips then it needs to be replaced. It will not get better and the heat generated from the slippage can take out an otherwise fine flywheel.

AFAIK a tech can't look to see how much clutch is left but he can tell by the engagement point and clutch pedal pressure and how the clutch engages from a dead stop that the clutch is ok or suspect.

Sincerely

Macster.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question, burning clutch will smell just like burning or hot brakes. If you've ever tried starting on a hit and rode the clutch to hard, you'll smell it.
Could the clutch be gone at 37K, yes. Clutch life is almost 100% on how the driver uses the clutch. I'm not saying you're a bad driver, but bad habits are sometimes hard to self spot.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
jw1977
Pro

I wish I could describe the smell a little better. It's definitely not a cooked brakes smell, it's a little sweeter than that. Could be something with coolant? What about a serpentine belt that was starting to go? As I mentioned above, the only time I ever smell is after a run through the gears with higher rpm shifting, like merging onto the freeway.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Go take your tech or an indy for a ride with you and get a second opinion. No need to spend $$ guessing. Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet smell is usually coolant, so I'm guessing a water pump is needed.

But I agree that it's time to take it to your mechanic and let them tell you what's wrong.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 AM
jw1977
Pro

Update: I think my problem is the clutch. I just took it for a ride and it felt really bad. Couldn't tell where it was going to catch. You almost can't feel it catch. I tried the 4th gear thing and it didn't pop out of gear. I'll be taking it in.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you have to ask what a burning clutch smells like then you probably have a burned clutch. Generally, most Porsche drivers have owned other manual transmission cars before they get into a 911 and will well know that smell from their driving past.

Clutch life is all about the driver--or prior drivers if you bought the car used. I was a clutch novice when I bought my first Porsche (and first manual tranny car) in 1974 and went through a clutch in about 45,000 miles. (I was told that the lesser HP cars are harder on clutches because you're forced to make up for the lower power production by slipping). At any rate, I learned what I was doing wrong and from then on have normally had in excess of 100,000 miles on my clutches.

The way to lengthen the service life of a clutch is to NEVER punch the accelerator unless the car is in gear and your foot is off the clutch. If you have the clutch pedal partially in or out when you start to accelerate you will speed up the death of that clutch. Practicing a little patience when accelerating pays off literally in money saved.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
jw1977
Pro

I've owned 3 Manuals transmissions and never had any clutch problems. Two of them were M3's. this is is my first 911 but I've driven it the same I did with M3's.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've cooked a clutch but it was on a 120K mile MB 190E which I bought used and with no prior maintenance history. I've owned several other MT's over the years and have never had trouble with their clutches. Generally speaking I don't think Porsche clutches are a weak point unless you are pushing far more horsepower than stock.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Update: I think my problem is the clutch. I just took it for a ride and it felt really bad. Couldn't tell where it was going to catch. You almost can't feel it catch. I tried the 4th gear thing and it didn't pop out of gear. I'll be taking it in.
If by " the 4th gear thing" you are referring to the "test" I mentioned the tranmission will not pop out of gear (if it does that's a transmission/shifter problem not a clutch problem).

What you are looking for is slippage.

Based on your additional info it does read like the clutch is highly suspect even if it is not slipping. Any dramatic change in the clutch's engagement, pedal error, etc. is reason enough to suspect the clutch/linkage.

Whatever is gong on won't fix itself. Time to visit the shop.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Clutch and brakes definitely smell different. Clutch is more acrid, sweeter, and more intense odor than brakes. I like the smell of hot brakes (makes me think of the track) but the smell of burned clutch is a bit nauseating. Last time I smelled it was when my wife had to borrow the 997 for some reason and slipped the crap out of the clutch getting into our uphill garage). The smell lingered in the garage for hours!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

It generally smells like a small stack of Benjamins smoldering.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

burning a$$

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Does Burning Clutch Smell Like?