Sponsored by:

08 Turbo TipTronic issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08 Turbo TipTronic issues

Ok so I am usually over on the cup car side but the bosses 08 Turbo is having a problem with the gearbox.
the local dealer said all the codes in the system point to gearbox failure.
they said the codes were indicating a speed difference between the input and output shafts.

The said he could shotgun a sensor on the box but doubted that was the problem and recommended a whole box at 30k

has anyone had a issue like this and what was the outcome.

just as a fyi.
the car is not driven every day but I have installed a new battery and had the Tiptronic emergency run thing come up on dash 2 times and on the second time CEL as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It wonder it it's a faulty wheel sensors. Do you have or can you get your hands on a Durametric tool? Did the dealer who did the analysis happen to provide you with a printout of the codes/diagnostics? What was the actual error code? A bad sensor in one of the wheels would tell the car that the front and rear wheels are not moving at the proper rotational speeds which would result in CEL codes. This is what my car did when I ran it on a rwd dyno a few weeks back. My ECU did not like the fact that the front wheels were stationary while the rear wheels were in motion. I imagine that if one of your wheel sensors failed then that could potentially place the tranny into a cripple mode to be on the safe side. Regardless a few sensors would be much cheaper than a $30K slush box so it may be worth it to replace the sensors 1st.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,
So dealer said it was a rpm difference in the gearbox in and out.
I spoke to Porsche and the Service manager and decided to take it back to them.
I have a Durametric tool in the mail but figured we would give Porsche a chance to fix it first with good will warranty.
boss has 4 1/2 Porsche's currently and had bought 3 of his last ones new so hoping they help out.

If they come back with a sorry we cant help you then I get to dig into it.
They said the sensor that "may" be bad is in the valve body so its definitely not a wheel sensor problem
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Very good... nice to have some p-dealer good will to fall back on. Let us know the outcome as it's always interesting and helpful for other RL members who might run into similar issues.

Quick Reply: 08 Turbo TipTronic issues