Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley sound during startup - help to identify

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

As others have said, Yea I'd spray some wd40 on the belt to see if the squeel stops. If so its the belt.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact squeal, looks like installing a new AOS is in my future. I've also had intermittent puffs of white smoke which I'm guessing is also an early warning sign.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

As an update- dealer replaced my idler pulleys. I'm still having the issue on a cold start, but not warm starts. After another trip to the dealer they say could not duplicate. Once warm the car runs with no noise. Belt condition at 27 months old seems good to them.

I've ordered a new belt and will just do the DIY replacement to see if that solves it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible that the idler pulley spring was bad. If the spring tension is weak it may cause the belt to slip on the crank pulley under hard acceleration which burns the rubber on belt in one spot typically. This hard rubber spot on the belt is what causes the annoying chirping sound. When replacing the belt, take some isotone or some other chemical to clean each of the pulley's and make sure you get all the grease and crime off especially if you sprayed wd-40 or belt dressing on them in the past. You can get the belt from Autozone for about $22 if my memory serves me correctly. If you regularly clean your motor compartment with a pressure washer be sure to wait until you motor is dry before starting your car. The water on the belt can make it slip on the crank pulley causing the annoying chirp.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by BED997
As an update- dealer replaced my idler pulleys. I'm still having the issue on a cold start, but not warm starts. After another trip to the dealer they say could not duplicate. Once warm the car runs with no noise. Belt condition at 27 months old seems good to them.

I've ordered a new belt and will just do the DIY replacement to see if that solves it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

I just replaced my belt, and the noise is still present. I'm ordering the AOS shortly and will try to tackle the DIY.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
It's possible that the idler pulley spring was bad. If the spring tension is weak it may cause the belt to slip on the crank pulley under hard acceleration which burns the rubber on belt in one spot typically. This hard rubber spot on the belt is what causes the annoying chirping sound. When replacing the belt, take some isotone or some other chemical to clean each of the pulley's and make sure you get all the grease and crime off especially if you sprayed wd-40 or belt dressing on them in the past. You can get the belt from Autozone for about $22 if my memory serves me correctly. If you regularly clean your motor compartment with a pressure washer be sure to wait until you motor is dry before starting your car. The water on the belt can make it slip on the crank pulley causing the annoying chirp.

Good luck.

I didn't try any belt dressing or WD40, but that doesn't mean it wasn't done at some point in the past or when in for service. I never use water in the engine compartment, just a wipedown with some 303 protectant on the plastic, and never any on the belt. I'll check the pulleys when I get into the DIY. Good advice, thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
mr.precision
Intermediate

Bed997, did you ever determine what the cause of your noise was?
My 2007 C2S is making the identical sound as that in your clip. Car has 60K miles and has been virtually trouble free so far. No loss of coolant apparent and belt was replaced 2K miles ago duirng 60K major service.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

mr.precision, I'm at roughly the same mileage and have the same symptoms. I've gone ahead and ordered a new AOS which I'll be replacing in the coming week or so. I'll report back if it solves my issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Did they change tensioner pulley too?

I've got a squeak but more a plastic quieter mouse type squeak, I sprayed back of the tensioner pulley with WD40 and noise was gone.

Those with squeaks spray back of pulley (not belt) with WD40 starting with tensioner pulley and see if that helps cure it for a short while.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Yes - I replaced the belt with Porsche OEM, even though it was only 2 years old, and the sound went away. A belt replacement appears to have been what I needed. I went for a drive this past Saturday and there was no noise. No squealing for the last month since I did the maintenance.

A very simple DIY maintenance that I'm surprised the dealer did not take care of after going in for service about this twice- they replaced the set of pulleys and gave up with the '"could not duplicate". A $35 belt must not be part of the CPO warranty coverage.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes - I replaced the belt with Porsche OEM, even though it was only 2 years old, and the sound went away. A belt replacement appears to have been what I needed. I went for a drive this past Saturday and there was no noise. No squealing for the last month since I did the maintenance.

A very simple DIY maintenance that I'm surprised the dealer did not take care of after going in for service about this twice- they replaced the set of pulleys and gave up with the '"could not duplicate". A $35 belt must not be part of the CPO warranty coverage.
Nice to see a DIY project benefiting an enthusiast... it's always fun to learn about these fine machines but it's even more meaningful when you come to find that your own handy work is better than that of the "stealership". Good work BED997!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

I used the DIY here put together by USMC and folks like Edgy with the belt routing diagram. Try the belt service first before you head to the dealership. My old belt had no signs of wear so I put it in the frunk in a plastic bag for a just in case. Thanks Guys!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I used the DIY here put together by USMC and folks like Edgy with the belt routing diagram. Try the belt service first before you head to the dealership. My old belt had no signs of wear so I put it in the frunk in a plastic bag for a just in case. Thanks Guys!
+1. I also did this... and applied some 303 to protect/preserve the belt.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
mr.precision
Intermediate

Looks like it's the belt. I sprayed a tiny amount of WD40 on the belt...... sound disappeared. The belt is new... maybe 600 miles on it. Looks like I just need to get a new one and put it on. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Ranchman
8th Gear

Any glycol coolant or other "sticky" stuff will cause the belt to make that noise. An easy way to determine and solve is to spray or pour some water on the belt while it is running.

Quick Reply: Pulley sound during startup - help to identify