Sponsored by:

Overfilled Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overfilled Oil?

I changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. I've put 300 miles on the car or so since them. Measure the oil 3 times with the 5 minute check and came back at the top of the line where it should be. I have a 997.1 btw. On friday I started it up and got the CEL so I pulled it back in the garage. Plan on taking it in next week but was browsing through the forum and checking things and did the oil check. It showed it was filled to the top, over the max line. It also only did the 5 second check vs the 5 minute. Any thoughts on why it would be fine at first and now overfilled? Does it matter if it has been sitting? Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

I would measure it a few more times to make sure. Overfilled oil is as harmfull as low, to be safe take a bit out if you gt a consistent over the max oil level.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Brideyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u have Porsche assist? If so call them out before you do anything
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Do You remember how much oil you used for the oil change?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats the CEL code? I don't know of any codes that are related to oil overfill.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

I let it drain for about 30 mins + and then added 8.5 quarts. Seemed pretty straight forward. And then it has been fine for 3 weeks. I've checked it periodically and it has been right at the max line. Now for some reason it is over the line. Is there a difference after it has been sitting for so long. Also why does it only do the 5 second oil check vs the 5 minutes? I don't have the code yet I'm heading to the shop later in the week. Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
I let it drain for about 30 mins + and then added 8.5 quarts. Seemed pretty straight forward. And then it has been fine for 3 weeks. I've checked it periodically and it has been right at the max line. Now for some reason it is over the line. Is there a difference after it has been sitting for so long. Also why does it only do the 5 second oil check vs the 5 minutes? I don't have the code yet I'm heading to the shop later in the week. Any thoughts?
A lot of short trips, where the engine doesn't get up to full operating temperature, can result in the accumulation of unburned fuel and moisture in the engine oil over time. When the engine does get up to temp this excess moisture gets burned off and people sometimes think that all of a sudden they are using oil.

Is it possible you've been making a lot of short trips in the past three weeks? If you had filled your oil to the very top at the change, and have accumulated excess moisture in the sump in the meantime, maybe it was just enough to put you over the limit and caused the level to read high. If so, a good run at full temps might resolve your issue.

This may sound like a long shot, but short of a problem with your level sending unit or parking the car on an incline which might cause the reading to be skewed, I don't know why it would be reading high all of a sudden.

As to the 5 minute versus 5 second check, it just has to do with whether oil is already in the sump or has to drain down, and how long that takes depends on oil temperature and how long it's been since the engine was switched off.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

You should be fine re the oil level. Every bar on the oil e-gauge is approximately .4 qtrs. When you originally filled up the oil it was likely at the full level and/or borderline over so the e-gauge will fluctuate between full and just over by one bar... don't be concerned especially if the readings continue to fluctuate btw full and one bar over. Beyond that it starts to be an issue... I like to fill my car to one bar below full. That way it will fluctuates btw one bar below full and/or full if it's on that borderline. BTW, the oil may accumulate water if the car has been sitting in the garage for some time without some spirit long driving sessions to burn off the moisture...

With re to the oil e-gauge... it should take about 5-6 seconds to register a reading before a cold start. After the engine has been cranked over and running it may take anywhere from 5-25 minutes for the oil to settle and for the car to read the oil level again.

I suspect your CEL code may be related to something other than your oil level... have your p-dealer or indy check it out. GL and let us know the outcome.

Quick Reply: Overfilled Oil?