Sponsored by:

997 Emergency Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I agree with others, get the AAA Gold Membership and make sure the phone batteries are charged.

Otherwise the kit looks good but I would definitely add some energy bars and bottles of water.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Just so I understand...your signature says Austin, TX. Google maps puts that 107 miles from College Station. Is your trip from Austin or some other location. That's a lot of security items for just a short trip.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Just so I understand...your signature says Austin, TX. Google maps puts that 107 miles from College Station. Is your trip from Austin or some other location. That's a lot of security items for just a short trip.
That's correct... 100+ miles from Austin to College Station... another 97 miles to Houston. So a 100+ mile tow to the nearest p-dealer when I'm in College Station. I don't expect everyone to see things the way I do... I would much rather address issues on the road vs. towing the car up to 100 miles only for the dealer to replace a simple thing like the s-belt. I can replace my own s-belt or plug a tire well before the AAA flat bed shows up... that is if they even have a flat bed where I breakdown along that route. Plus that's a quick way to ruin a trip prematurely. I'd much rather spend my day with the family then a tow truck driver.

BTW, credit cards don't always get you out of a tough spot... I don't know of any p-car techs nor parts dealer between Austin and College Station. So it's just better to be a little self reliant... especially with some of the simple stuff we're capable of doing ourselves.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The AAA card is always nice, along with a mobile phone (aka "Handy," in Germany) but out here in the wild west we're not always near a cell tower. You have to sometimes fend for yourselves.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

I won't try to convince you otherwise, so gear up and enjoy the drive.

Oh, and take a few deep breaths and relax.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I used to carry a peice of "TYVEK house wrap" to lay on the ground
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

To each his own, I commend usmc for his hands on approach. It's always good to know how to do something even if you could afford to have someone else do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I always carry a porsche tool kit w/scissor jack, a small ratchet set, a leatherman, an air compressor, a small first aid kit, OBDII reader, and a spare serpentine belt. For long trips, I'll often also toss in my go-to toolbox which has damned near everything I could possibly need for any parking lot repair. I don't generally carry spare parts besides the serpentine belt, but I do carry my AAA card as backup, should I ever need a free tow.

Overkill? Probably. My last car was a real piece of crap and I frequently had to repair it on the go. Got me in the habit of being prepared, though!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have a Glock 23, a Remington 870 pump full of buckshot and a bottle of El Tesoro tequila.

Last edited by Datura; 10-09-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: can't spell.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
To each his own, I commend usmc for his hands on approach. It's always good to know how to do something even if you could afford to have someone else do it.
+1
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Thanks all... I like the idea of adding the Durametric cable to the e-kit. If for anything I can get a quick read out vs. feeling the panic to haul her off to the p-dealer if a CEL shows up on the dash... actually happened to me two wks ago after some dyno pulls.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

He does this because he's a Marine. Once you leave the wire, you never know how long you're going to be gone. Stuff happens quickly.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USMC, you can see your training coming out in some of the things you've picked. But we should all have things like a medic kit and some more survival things.
I've added a high quality tire plug kit to the car. I see you've also got one, but if you've even tried using one of the cheaper kits, it makes a difficult job even harder. I've thrown out the fix a flat as they really cause problems for reusing the tire. I've also heard stories about it affecting the TPSM

Others have said it, but a gold membership to AAA gets you 150 or something of free towing. It's worth the membership fees and has gotten me towed back from the track a few times.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to travel carefree, and avoid a tow at all costs, , might as well strap a spare wheel and tire to the roof, as a bent wheel is the most likely cause of incapacitating our cars.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

CDS, you're obviously in the know... it's always a balance of how much to hump into the field vs. risk mitigation when I was still in the Corps. Fortunately my C2S mule can easily handle an extra 10 lbs of emergency/safety gear w/o any adverse affects. BTW, it kills me to see that M3 on your post... my prior e36 M3 was a white cab with FI.

Money, thanks for the tip re fix a flat... would you happen to know if the tire sealant Porsche provides has similar issues. I normally use sealant as the last ditch effort if patching doesn't work. Sometimes it takes a combination of both. I've been progressively upgrading my patch kit over the years as the weak ones typically bend. This is the most robust I've come across so far. It worked weel on my SUV's and truck tires but I suspect these HP summer tires to be a PITA to plug.

Goose, I've been on the fence re the Porsche spare thus my doubling up on tire sealant and patch kits. I have a premier AAA membership which provides for a one time 200 mile tow per year but I'd rather just do my own quick repair if possible to get back on the road sooner vs. later as I do my own maintenance/service anyway. In the case of a bent wheel I plan to invoke the AAA tow. IMO the spare tire would be great for those really long hauls across TX. We have certain parts I won't frequent with the p-car currently that is totally remote such as I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. Look up Ozona, TX on google maps... I used to lease some property there. I have been checking out the dismantler, however, for the proper p-car spare and will likely get one when I come across a well priced one. Ultimately I'd like to take a trek across America in my p-car so a spare in the back seat would certainly be in order then.

Thanks all for the great insight... I've been tweaking the e-kit with your insight as we continue.

Quick Reply: 997 Emergency Kit