Sponsored by:

Durametric Cable and Software Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Durametric Cable and Software Question

I did some searching but didn't really track down an answer here or at Durametric. I purchased the Pro kit from Durametric but the coding icons don't come up when looking into the individual modules. Is there a password or handshake that must occur before the system begins to allow coding? Is there possibly different software/firmware i need to load? It shows Pro when looking at the cable info but acts like the enthusiast version, Maybe I'm not in the correct section? I'd sure appreciate some help from you Durametric gurus...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe most of us have the Enthusiast cable although I'm considering the Pro cable in the future. You may want to contact Owen at Durametric if no one chimes in... they're very helpful:

Owen Sutton
support@durametric.com
888-eightfivefour-5523
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Z00mie
Racer

I pinged the Durametric technical support folks and received a ticket number. Hopefully this is a minor thing that can be solved quickly, either by my education or a software update. There is a number of things i want to address/try. My V-dub had rain closing, windows up and down with the keyfob programmed via the ross-tech dongle and software. I hope the D-metric folks have as much on the ball as the VAG.com gang and continue to develop the older model year software too
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem and after many search attempts found the answer from someone else on another forum. The instructions on the website and that come with the Pro cable are NOT CORRECT....the connection sequence is wrong. The correct sequence is as follows:

1) Switch on ignition
2) Turn on hazard lights (so the CAN bus does not go to sleep)
3) Connect CABLE to USB port on COMPUTER
4) Start Durametric program on computer
5) Before selecting a model in the software, connect cable to CAR
6) Select Car model in the program

This worked like a charm for me. As an aside, I contacted Durametic and "suggested" it would really be nice if they corrected the proper connection sequence on their website and with the PRO cable. I got a return email thanking me and saying that was a good idea. It sounds like they have not followed up. Let me know if this works for you....follow the above sequence exactly.
Mike
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

hmm. is that something specific for pro cable only?
enthusiast cable i have always works fine when i connect cable to pc, then connect cable to odb2 port with ignition off, then turn on ignition - at that step cable installs drivers on pc, then after i start durametric i do not have to choose anything - it automatically opens durametric and all works fine.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
enthusiast cable i have always works fine when i connect cable to pc, then connect cable to odb2 port with ignition off, then turn on ignition - at that step cable installs drivers on pc, then after i start durametric i do not have to choose anything - it automatically opens durametric and all works fine.
I follow the same procedure for my Enthusiast cable.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a bug in the current software release. I'm told it will be fixed in the next point release.
But that is the same procedure I follow to get it to connect
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Specific for the coding function in the Pro Cable. As mentioned by the orginal post, the issue is that the coding ability is not active when connected according to the website. The enthusiast version is different.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Interesting stuff.
If you have pro cable - can you tell pls if it has any function for rear spoiler button? Mine acts weird now, does not raise wing and imho shows as a 'sport mode' button in the 'input values' screen. Odd stuff.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Utkinpol, I will check! I haven't been able to do much of anything since I haven't had access to the coding portion. I did look at the so called over-rev data. No real issues there I'll be home friday and get a chance to mess with it then...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Thanks Mikemmd! I got a response from Owen who also gave me the proper sequence yesterday.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Let us know what you think of the pro cable once everything works. I've always been curious as to whether it's worth the upg cost.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For purpose of discussion, I went with the pro cable for one reason - to code out the seat belt chime. New cars are driving me crazy with the noises they make. BMW's seem to be the worst with their incessant chime for just having the key in the ignition.

But besides that, I haven't really found a good use for all the coding/advanced options. But the quiet was worth the extra money.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

well, it is a lot of money for that reason alone... you can also code off error messages if you decide to replace rear wing, to replace seat with one without airbags (code off weight sensors), you can code for car to chirp when you close/open it - essentially to code all functions mods4cars unit provides - to make windows and sunroof close/open with one touch, look for full list on renntech or just read list of functions of mods4cars smarttop unit.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

My wife's Lexus is the worst at the mailbox center. When I drive up to the stop and go... with wife in car/passenger seat, e-brake on, in park, and engine running I like to just jump out and grab the mail. The car will ping continuously until I jump back in and put the seat belt back on. Drives her nuts. Kinda wish the Porsche would do that so I could justify the pro cable to her.

Quick Reply: Durametric Cable and Software Question