997S with/without sport chrono package

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 997S with/without sport chrono package

Hi All ...
I've been looking at 997/Tips for a possible DD alternative and after doing some searching here, I have a couple of questions about the base v.s. S models. I've seen base models that have the sport chrono package and they have a 'sport' and 'sport plus' button and I've seen S's without sport chrono that have just a 'sport' button and some S's that have no sport buttons at all .. Here's an '08 S without sport chrono and no buttons .. the listing says the car has PSM and PASM though .. also a bit confusing as to what the difference/relationship (if any) there are between those two options. Also what is the button with the shock absorber looking graphic on it for? Is that part of PASM/PSM?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-COU...orcev4exp=true

Also read here recently that a 'Sport' button can be added to a base model along with a tiptronic S/ECU software upgrade at the dealer for around $1000 parts and labor and I'm wondering now if some of the S cars I've seen with just a 'sport' button have just had that done .. very confusing.
So .. here's some questions:
1. Why do I see some cars with just 'Sport' buttons and some with Sport and Sport plus? Are the ones with the two settings always 'Sport Chrono' cars and if so, what is the difference between the two settings. Did the '09 model year cars have just a 'sport' option without the 'chrono' part?

2. Does adding a 'Sport' button to a base car and reprogramming the ECU really give you everything the factory 'sport' option provides without changing struts/shocks/sway bars etc.? If so, how does it accomplish that?

3. What does PASM/PSM control and is it considered a good thing? What about PDCC? I've heard good things about it, was it always an option on 997 or something introduced in '09?

Thanks in advance .... and if there's a comprehensive thread in here that already answers my questions, feel free to call me names and post a RTFM icon .. but include the link :-P
JP
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSM is Porsche Stability Management - think traction and skid control. Trys to prevent you getting into trouble. With cars fitted with the sport button and in sport mode the PSM is less intrusive.

PSM

PASM is Porsche Active Suspension Management - cars fitted with it ride 10mm lower compared to non PASM equipped cars. Provides active control over the damping. You have two settings, normal and sport. Sport is a stiffer ride with less role. This is controlled by the shock absorber graphic button.

PASM
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Here is a page out of the 07 brochure which covers Sports Chrono Plus for the 997.1 (05-08) with manual and Tiptronic transmission options
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Model Year 09 (997.2) added the Sports plus button and launch control. Pages from the brochure.

If you see the clock (wart) on the dash for either 997.1 or 997.2 , then the option was most likely added at the factory for the vehicle. If you don't see the clock on the dash but have the sport and sport plus buttons, then the option was added after the fact with a Porsche approved software update. This gives you the Sports Chrono Plus features without the clock functions. Link below

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic

You don't need PASM to get the throttle and shift benefits of the sports chrono package. PASM give you a softer ride whan you want it and stiffens the suspension when in sports mode. PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) became available in the 911 series starting with the 991 this year.

Hope this helps
Attached Images   

Last edited by wwilliams88; 10-03-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
PSM is Porsche Stability Management - think traction and skid control.

PASM is Porsche Active Suspension Management - cars fitted with it ride 10mm lower compared to non PASM equipped cars. Provides active control over the damping. You have two settings, normal and sport. Sport is a stiffer ride with less role. This is controlled by the shock absorber graphic button.
Ok, that's what I suspected about the shock absorber button .. it's another type of 'sport' button in it's own right. Thanks.

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Model Year 09 (997.2) added the Sports plus button and launch control. Pages from the brochure.

If you see the clock (wart) on the dash for either 997.1 or 997.2 , then the option was most likely added at the factory for the vehicle. If you don't see the clock on the dash but have the sport and sport plus buttons, then the option was added after the fact with a Porsche approved software update. This gives you the Sports Chrono Plus features without the clock functions. Link below

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic

You don't need PASM to get the throttle and shift benefits of the sports chrono package. PASM give you a softer ride whan you want it and stiffens the suspension when in sports mode. PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) became available in the 911 series starting with the 991 this year.

Hope this helps
Wow .. thanks for all this info, that's awesome. Ok ... I think I've got it now and it seems to me that a HUGE bang for the buck based on this info and current re-sale values today would be a 997.1 base car with a sport/sport plus buttons and ECU upgrade added later by the dealer. The next level at a +/- $10K premium most of the time would be a 997.1 'S' trim without sport chrono and adding the dealer upgrade but most of the time, when I see S cars, they already have the Sport-Chrono option installed and the price difference is negligible.

Ok ... I've got enough information to be dangerous now .. thanks again!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Just note that a 997.2 with PDK is a HUGE improvement over a 997.1 with Tiptronic S. However, if you have you heart set on a manual, it isn't going to matter much. The Sport Plus button is only available on the 997.2 with PDK. Same with Launch Control if it matters to you. I would drive both (Tiptronic vs PDK), then decide.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Just note that a 997.2 with PDK is a HUGE improvement over a 997.1 with Tiptronic S. However, if you have you heart set on a manual, it isn't going to matter much. The Sport Plus button is only available on the 997.2 with PDK. Same with Launch Control if it matters to you. I would drive both (Tiptronic vs PDK), then decide.
I'm only looking at 997.1 Tip's at this point because of the seemingly great value and DD utility for the money. It strikes me that for low-mid $40's they are a bargain for the level of performance and engineering you are getting.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 AM
BeachDoc
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JPP
I'm only looking at 997.1 Tip's at this point because of the seemingly great value and DD utility for the money. It strikes me that for low-mid $40's they are a bargain for the level of performance and engineering you are getting.
This is also my rationale, though it took me quite a bit of time gathering all of the information to realize it; I wish I found this forum sooner!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Where have you seen them in the low to mid 40s? Do they have 80k miles? All the ones I looked at before picking up my .2 TTS was 80k for the tip with under 30k miles.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^ Yes, higher mileage cars. Back in 2012, there were several for sale with good maintenance, options and records that looked like new inside and out. With the Metzger designed engine's durability, higher mileage doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
The following users liked this post:
drsooz (09-18-2019)
Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
^^ Yes, higher mileage cars. Back in 2012, there were several for sale with good maintenance, options and records that looked like new inside and out. With the Metzger designed engine's durability, higher mileage doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Only the Turbos and GT cars have the race-derived Mezger engine. Is that what you are looking for? Your original post sounded like you were looking at base and S models.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^ Yes, sorry, my mistake .. I was looking at both, but after researching the IMS problems on early .1 n/a cars I eliminated them as a possibility.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:01 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI..I just acquired my 05 997 and immediately upgraded the IMS to the tune of approx $1600. Quick easy upgrade and now peace of mind. So dont rule them out if you can find a clean good mileage and good price one. $1600 small price to pay for that. I wasnt paying that much attention to Sport Chrono Package at all but as it turned out, the car I bought had it. Now I am very, very happy I went that direction because it is so much more fun to drive in Sport mode. Granted a bit harsher ride but a more aggressive launch and you can feel a significant difference. Drive down the road with your foot in the gas with Sport mode on and turn it off. You immediately feel the car back off a bit from acceleration. If I didnt have it, might not miss it but having it now makes it hard not to have it turned on at all times.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:48 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by jem7v
Where have you seen them in the low to mid 40s? Do they have 80k miles? All the ones I looked at before picking up my .2 TTS was 80k for the tip with under 30k miles.
2011 CPO Carrera S Cab, six-speed M, chrono package, Bose + lots of other goodies such as full leather, 19K miles, $70K in December of 2013.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Sport Chrono is one of those options that costs alot when buying new but does not carry alot of value through to the used market. I wouldn't necessarily pay for it in a new 911 but it was on my want list when I was shopping for my 997.2.

Quick Reply: 997S with/without sport chrono package