Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“PSM Failure” after battery disconnect..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ditto on the fuse since both seats are not working.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wouldn't other items be inoperable if it was a fuse ? Older thread mentions that if the garage door opener is also inoperable, it may require piwis to reset heated seats
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like Fuse B10 (25A) protects the 'seat heaters' plus other things (ie. wiper fluid pump, etc) according to my 997 Fuse Diagram. This might be a good place to start.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AP997S thanks.. I've been looking on line to see what I could but with no luck.. Thank you I will start there first tonight..

Thank you..
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It's doucmented in the owner's manual. You don't have to disconnect and reconnect the battery a second time. Don't forget to reset your windows too.

Putting vehicle into operation
After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.
f Perform adaptation of the power windows:
Please observe the chapter “STORING END
POSITION OF THE WINDOWS” on Page 29.
So I left an interior overhead light on over the weekend (doh!) and went out this morning and found that the car would not start. When I got the car off the car carrier truck this summer the battery also was low, would not start, and just hooked up a battery charger to the battery installed in the car, charged it for about 2 hours, it was fine and I got no error messages.

Tonight I did the same thing when I got home from work and when I went to check on charging progress, I noticed that the trunk light was out (thinking that is weird). Disconnected the charger (showed about 70% charge) and the car started right up.

In addition to the "PSM Failure" message and light, I also get the following error messages:
"- PASM Failure
- Dynamic Cornering Light Failure
- Drive off Assitant Failure"

and the clock has re-set.

Did a quick search (in panic) and found this post and what to do when you get the PSM failure message as well as found the referenced Owners Manual instructions...

It is very cold and snowy here in CO tonight and didn't want to try the driving correction procedure... and I have been looking forward to first drive in the snow.

Did I "toast" something expensive and any suggestions on what to do?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you hooked up something wrong I would guess that you did not "toast" anything. You just have a battery that probably needs changed. Does the trunk light go out after a period of time if left on/open? I think you need reset the computer as described above and then go from there.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Does the trunk light go out after a period of time if left on/open?
Chris - thanks for the reply.

I don't know if trunk light goes off after a period of time or not.

Yes agree that I need to get a new battery.

It is 9 degrees out and roads are very snowy today so I don't think that I'll try the drive and re-set procedure.

My concern was around all of the other error "failure" messages I received (mentioned in my post) and I still need to do a search on those messages on the site as well.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I've discounted my battery on a few occasions to execute certain DIY's and have seen the PASM errors. Driving the car 2+ miles should clear off the PASM type error messages. The rest will likely require a Durametric tool reset. If they persist after a reset then you may want a p-dealer to investigate. FWIW, I connect my car to a trickle charger every time I park it in my garage specifically to avoid these types of issues... GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A low or insufficiently charged battery can cause a number of side effects that are simply related to the battery charge/voltage output. Most usually correct themselves upon a proper charge and/or new battery. I suspect this is your case, but it never hurts to be extra cautious at the early stages of diagnosis. I'd disconnect the battery from the car and recharge it (or as it has been appropriately suggested replace it with a new one). Once you have a full charge, reconnect and revert to the owner's manual for what to do to clear the various codes/warnings that exist. I'll bet all works out fine, but take care nevertheless ... just in case.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Thanks all for the posts, very reassuring and another example that this site and members are a great resource.

While it is a C4S, just want to make sure that it is just a code reset and that the PSM will acutally be working so I'll wait for the snow on the roads to clear up tomorrow, take a drive to see if fault messages clear up, and will post results.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

ALL of the codes cleared when I drove the car today. Had been a way on a business trip and temperatures have stayed below about 10F so was also happy to see that the recharged battery has held up.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Congratulations on resolving your problem. As you have discovered, often times it is the crowd on Rennlist who knows more about these cars than the dealer's representatives--both sales, and maintenance. Unfortunately, as Porsche broadens their line up of cars their technicians are being spread thin. At one time when the 911 was essentially the only game in town, they were better at troubleshooting the cars. With so many cars now, it's virtually impossible for them to be current.

Some time back I was troubleshooting a 928 for a friend and mistakenly went into our local dealership (do you know how infrequently a 928 shows up these days at a Porsche dealership??) and they suggested replacing a couple of parts. That didn't work. Then I posted the question on the 928 forum--within a day I had the answer and I tried it. It worked perfectly. No parts were ever required. (Have you ever noticed just how many threads and postings there are on the 928 Rennlist forum?!)
Old 12-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Misshe11
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for posting this! I just replaced steering wheel trim and it showed that on the display!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cameronl
Thanks USMC_DS1... I will after I get it all squared out, I'm hopeing it's not wiring.
Did you ever have heated seats working prior to this episode ? In our case, no, but the PWIS hand-over process restored ours, as well as the engine compartment light and the small enunciator lights over the center console, so that the top of the MT shift **** is visible at night, kind of nifty.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:48 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same thing after a dead battery. Both heated seats and orientation led light not working.
The ONLY thing that will fix this is for the dealer to do the "handover" procedure with the PIWIS.

Duarametric can not do this. Yet. Or ever. Probably.

Quick Reply: “PSM Failure” after battery disconnect..