Sponsored by:

Squeak from seatbelt latch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak from seatbelt latch?

I have a squeak that comes from the driver's side seatbelt latch. It is particularly noticeable if I lean forward in the seat. Initially I thought it was the seat itself, but the dealer tech showed me that it was the seatbelt, and reproduced it consistently touching the seatbelt latch in a certain way. When I asked to have it fixed, he said that it wasn't really possible to do so. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. I'd also love a fix if there is one!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I had a similiar problem with my new '99 M3. When I would go over rough roads, punch it , etc. I would hear a high pitched squeak, that I whought was coming from the dash and would drive me nuts! After I brought it in and a few techs took it out together for a drive, they determined it was the rear seatbelt latch! Simply have them "replace" it!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 AM
OregonCroc
2nd Gear

Within the last month I purchased a 2008 Carrera. Just like yours, the seat belt latches on both front seats squeaked, especially when leaning forward. I thought this was an unfortunate by-product of the sport seats. I detailed the car a few days later, that included conditioning the leather bolsters on the seats. Thank goodness this stopped the squeaks!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Originally Posted by OregonCroc
Within the last month I purchased a 2008 Carrera. Just like yours, the seat belt latches on both front seats squeaked, especially when leaning forward. I thought this was an unfortunate by-product of the sport seats. I detailed the car a few days later, that included conditioning the leather bolsters on the seats. Thank goodness this stopped the squeaks!
Interesting thought! I'm going to give this a try and see what happens. I do not typically condition the outside of the far bolster.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Ahhh hah! So, moisturizing the leather touching the seatbelt latch got rid of the sound. Sweet.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

scratched my head for too long on this rattle. Fixed with leather conditioner in and around the bolster where the receptacle is. Such a silly fix but it works! the rattle must have been reverberating around the cabin cause the car was tight as a drum on my commute in this morning. Love this forum that a 7+ year old thread gave the elegant solution I needed. When in doubt, use the search button people!

Quick Reply: Squeak from seatbelt latch?