Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Bay Area folks done Pioneer Avic install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Any Bay Area folks done Pioneer Avic install?

Looking for reviews on the upgrade but most importantly recommendations on installers that you've used.

I'm coming to the realization that I cannot stand having a Porsche without nav, bt, iPod, pandora. Don't want to do tooki either.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try audio design on stevens creek in SJ

i heard kenwood is better. may want to look into that.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Looking for reviews on the upgrade but most importantly recommendations on installers that you've used.

I'm coming to the realization that I cannot stand having a Porsche without nav, bt, iPod, pandora. Don't want to do tooki either.

Thanks everyone.
I had an AVIC-Z130BT installed in a 997.2 - Sound Innovations (in Hayward) did the work. You're going to need a custom bezel - they have them or you can get one off ebay or Suncoast. You'll also need a harness (they can probably supply that too).

I've actually gone to Sound Innovations for 3 different projects on my vehicle, each time just excellent results (and I'm pretty particular). This is one of the places that used to do those high-end installs you would see in the car audio magazines (like CA&E) when they were still on newsstands. They do 997's all the time (ask to see the Audison one they did), and installing a head unit should be no problem. The owner is Ernie, he's actually quite knowledgeable and all his installers are superb. If you search rennlist, I think a few other people have gone here too and put up photos. Check their yelps to, I think they got 5-stars. good luck.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the feedback. I've heard of those guys and will check them out.

Can I ask you....

- how do you like the setup overall?

- with the oem finish double DIN, does it like like an oem setup? Really concerned about that.

- ballpark, how much did installation cost you?

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I had an AVIC-Z130BT installed in a 997.2 - Sound Innovations (in Hayward) did the work. You're going to need a custom bezel - they have them or you can get one off ebay or Suncoast. You'll also need a harness (they can probably supply that too).

I've actually gone to Sound Innovations for 3 different projects on my vehicle, each time just excellent results (and I'm pretty particular). This is one of the places that used to do those high-end installs you would see in the car audio magazines (like CA&E) when they were still on newsstands. They do 997's all the time (ask to see the Audison one they did), and installing a head unit should be no problem. The owner is Ernie, he's actually quite knowledgeable and all his installers are superb. If you search rennlist, I think a few other people have gone here too and put up photos. Check their yelps to, I think they got 5-stars. good luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Thanks very much for the feedback. I've heard of those guys and will check them out.

Can I ask you....

- how do you like the setup overall?

- with the oem finish double DIN, does it like like an oem setup? Really concerned about that.

- ballpark, how much did installation cost you?
I love my sound system. The entire OEM audio system has been replaced. I put in a new HU, processor, amp, front speakers, and custom sub in the back. The total cost was under $10k, installation was about $3k labor, but I did some probably $1-2k of work myself. This not a budget shop like Best Buy, where they'll pop your amp in for a $50 flat rate. But compared to some other high end shops, I thought their labor rate was totally worth it. And if you consider Al&Ed's charges $125/hour for hit-or-miss work, Ernie's team is a lot less and higher quality.

For the double-din, nothing will look OEM except for the original head unit. But an AVIC unit with a standard double-din bezel looks like it "belongs there" and it blends in with the surrounding panels.

I think the two commonly mentioned options for the radio trim piece are:
1) Euromotorspeed on ebay: $275
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-997-...item4ab7bec9b9
They have a black option too. Mine is black. It matches the adjacent OEM pieces very well.

2) Suncoast - $150
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics

Ernie prefers the Suncoast version, says the fit/finish is better. My preference is the way the Euromotorspeed version looks with the "Porsche" silkscreen above the radio instead of below, so it's the one I supplied. The Euromotorspeed kit comes with a harness for factory wiring. The Suncoast version does not.

Are you planning on replacing anything else other than the HU?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Wow, that must be some setup. I'm just trying to get the Avic system with the double dine faceplate -- and it sounds like they recommend a new amp since I have the Bose system. The quote, all in, I was getting is about $2500. Which I thought it was expensive. But I guess the last time I spent money on car audio was at Circuit City in 1992 -- cost $125

Quick Reply: Any Bay Area folks done Pioneer Avic install?