Sponsored by:

Very loud snapping noise on cab top close

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Odonay
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very loud snapping noise on cab top close

I have come across one problem with my new-to-me C2S Cabriolet: When I am closing the top of the car, the top makes a loud snapping noise during it's travel.

I've been looking through Rennlist/google, but haven't found anything relating to my problem. When the snapping happens the top jumps forward, as if the top got caught on something (more likely the mechanism got caught on something).

Thing is, I don't want to open my top (just in case I can't close it) until I figure out what it is/how to fix it. I do have the factory warranty on the car, but I'd much rather see what's causing the problem rather than making the drive down to the Porsche dealer.

Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not normal and given that you have the warranty, I would suggest you get it looked at by Porsche.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Odonay
4th Gear

Does anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the 997.2 Cabriolet top? (Provided that it's available)

If I stop the closing process before it snaps, then continue the closing process, it doesn't snap. It only snaps when I close it without any breaks.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
edporsche
2nd Gear

I have an 09 c2s cab with a "snapping" noise that is now fixed. It was the weather stripping on the tonneau cover. Dealer told me it was common. It's easy to verify. Stop the opening process when the cover is open. Pull off the weather stripping. It's easy. Just pull down. It takes just a few seconds. See if your " snapping" sound goes away. It did on mine. Dealer replaced it in a few minutes while I waited. They had a lot in stock I left my weatherstripping off because I continued to use the top till I has a chance to make it to the dealer.

Cheers
Ed
Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Odonay
4th Gear

Hmm, I think I fixed it (but my method was different).

On the rear headboard, there was a part of the felt material that was sticking out - I simply pushed it back under the headboard to where it was supposed to be, and the snapping stopped.

As far as I know, that area is not weather stripping, so I'm not sure if my solution is just a temporary fix or if the snapping just stopped due to the cold air (could be).

Quick Reply: Very loud snapping noise on cab top close