Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added an Aerokit front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

beautifully done! the aerokit front really transforms the look of the entire car.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks great Matt, best wishes to your wife, keep fightin !
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really great and completes the look with the duck tail.

Question - doesn't the addition of the trim just make the trim more prone to damage given the added material and extension?

All the best for your wife!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Really like the tasteful mods. You did it well. Best of luck to your wife. Remind her that PMA -- Positive Mental Attitude -- is 80% of the challenge.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
dwost
Advanced

LOVE your car. Thanks for posting the pics as ours are about the same color and I too have the black stone guards. I'm also thinking about future mods and BOTH the duck and bumper are of interest. It looks ultra clean. One question, does the duck tail provide enough down force for the front bumper? I'm concerned since I also track mine if this would be an issue. Either way, looks sick.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM
dw.metro
Racer

Fellow Ducktailer.....the front bumper is next on my list as well. Your car looks fantastic! Best wishes to your wife.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Great car and mods. Best wishes to your wife and you. Many years of continued enjoyment of both of your gals!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:30 PM
ShaunPerry
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Early this spring I made some long awaited mods to my '06 997. They included:

• Eibach springs
  • Adpatech spacers
  • Painting the calipers
  • Painting the Lobster Forks
  • Adding black stone guards
  • Adding a SC ducktail (and alphabet soup)

I loved how it looked but it seemed a bit out of balance in the front so I decided to add an Aerokit front bumper. I order the bumper from Suncoast Porsche who are always great to work with. It did take a bit for the bumper to show up but it did though the box looking a bit travel lagged.

but fortunately not damaged and completely intact.

I dropped of the bumper and the 997 at Mikes Auto Body in Malden last weekend. Mike is a Porsche fan to the highest degree and does incredible work. He installed and painted the ducktail which turned out wonderful. My wife and I went drove in this morning and picked the car up.

Here's a picture of the man himself (Mike http://www.mikesautobodyofmalden.com) and my wife Annie. She's not wearing a do-rag, she's in the midst of battling liver cancer (but is kicking ***).

After driving home which is about 50 miles for us it was time to get the spoiler protection on ASAP. Just pulling out of Mikes Auto Body I scraped the spoiler a bit!

Using some great advice I discovered on this and 6Speed I added some door edge guard to the spoiler - details here http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...package-3.html

I laid everything out, wiped down the spoiler, cut the trim to fit + a few inches and then starting at one end just took my time working my way around the bumper. It took no more than 30 minutes from wipe down to clean up.

Warming up the trim in the sun (great idea, made it very easy to work with)

Before pic

After Pic

The gray matches Seal Gray almost perfectly

If I can do this any of you can do this!

Thanks again to the original poster and everyones contributions.

Best,

Matt
Matt,

May I ask if you have done anything to the passenger/center/driver side radiator ducts? I believe I can see in your pictures that the center is blocked still(I assume you just transplanted the one from the previous stock bumper?) and that the side radiator ducts are both open.

Have you put any mesh grille since the date of this post? If so, what did you use? How did you mount it?

My Aerokit bumper w/ lip is in the process of being shipped, I'm very excited to receive it and i'm finalizing on a few local paint shops to apply the Atlas Grey, and am thinking of going a matte/satin black for the lower lip.

I've seen various videos/threads where there are "retaining frames" that are inside the bumper at the two side-radiator openings. Which ends up being where most people have mounted their DIY Mesh Grilles, or the Rennline kit.

I haven't been able to find out if my purchase will be coming with any of these extra components, or literally just the bumper and lip. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for a smooth install.

Thanks in advance!
Shaun
Old 01-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi Shaun,

It was surprising to see this old thread pop up. So much has happened between the time I posted this and today. Most importantly and tragically is I lost Annie to breast cancer a couple of years ago. Please take your time to hug your family!

To respond to your questions - when I had the aerokit installed it was a straight forward process. My car is a 3.6 so no center radiator. The components for the center were leveraged from the original. The side ducts are open. I have not used any mesh or grills to cover the side duct openings. I've not had any issues because of this. The radiators are in good shape and it's easy to get the leaves etc out with a leaf blower.

My factory areokit was delivered complete with all mounting hardware that was required in addition to the original hardware that was also utilized. It was a straight forward swap.

My car is lowered and as such requires some care when approaching driveways and speed bumps. Utilizing the trim on the lower spoiler as per the post has saved it many times. I've replaced the trim but still have the original spoiler!

You'll love it and be sure to send pictures when its complete.

Best,

Matt
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM
ShaunPerry
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Hi Shaun,

It was surprising to see this old thread pop up. So much has happened between the time I posted this and today. Most importantly and tragically is I lost Annie to breast cancer a couple of years ago. Please take your time to hug your family!

To respond to your questions - when I had the aerokit installed it was a straight forward process. My car is a 3.6 so no center radiator. The components for the center were leveraged from the original. The side ducts are open. I have not used any mesh or grills to cover the side duct openings. I've not had any issues because of this. The radiators are in good shape and it's easy to get the leaves etc out with a leaf blower.

My factory areokit was delivered complete with all mounting hardware that was required in addition to the original hardware that was also utilized. It was a straight forward swap.

My car is lowered and as such requires some care when approaching driveways and speed bumps. Utilizing the trim on the lower spoiler as per the post has saved it many times. I've replaced the trim but still have the original spoiler!

You'll love it and be sure to send pictures when its complete.

Best,

Matt
Matt,
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I won't lie, I feel sort of terrible for even posting my reply.

But I'm very thankful you even obliged me with a response, thank you for clarifying.

My aerokit was supposed to deliver today, and unfortunately when I go and track the order from Pelicanparts, it says the ship date was delayed (originally Friday, Jan. 3) which sucks. I hope I get an update soon.

Will definitely post pictures once it's all said and done. Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Get use to the scraping with the lip and eibachs. Frankly, I like the looks and practicality of the GT3 lip being native black rubber.
The following users liked this post:
Matt(inMA) (01-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Added an Aerokit front bumper