Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 TT vs 997.2 C2S...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 997.1 TT vs 997.2 C2S...opinions?

I'm close to buying one of these cars and am on the fence as to which way to go. I know there are going to be some biased results here, but I'm curious anyhow as to your opinions. On one side, I've always heard to go with the newest P-car you can afford, so that would be a nicely optioned 2009 C2S. My wife needs the automatic and I like the PDK, so this seems like a good choice. Plus there are no IMS issues, it's easier to find CPO, etc. As far as the 997.1 TT, I know you can't go wrong with the Metzger engine, and the added power is a nice bonus, but the tip is not as well received, and it doesn't have as many of the refinements as the 997.2. So, what are your opinions? For those of you who have driven both, please compare and contrast. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are considering a C2S, do not under any circumstances drive a Turbo! The .1 Turbo is going to be equipped better than a .2 911S. Once you take a hit on the Turbo pipe, you be addicted and selling your belongings to fill your need for another rush from all that Torque. Been there, done that. It took a F430 for me to break my Turbo boost addition.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Since you are considering these two different animals I'm assuming price or money is a bit of a factor. Never forget that maintenance on a Turbo is going to be roughly twice that of a C2. There's twice as much to remove and replace when messing with these things. Even for some of the basic maintenance. The turbo cars are much heavily and just not going to be as tossable as any NA 2-wheel drive 911. Keep in mind that a 911 is fundamentally a RWD car. If you want the "911" experience get a RWD Carrera S. Porsche starting making all their turbos AWD because most average drivers (which we all fundamentally are except the F1 drivers on the forum) will kill themselves with all that power feeding only the rear wheels. They don't call the GT2 a widow maker for marketing reasons.

Don't get yourself caught up into the 'more power is better' ploy. I came from a turbo (albeit from the air cooled days) and absolutely believe that any Carrera is more than up to the job in America. Many buy the Turbo strictly for bragging rights. Be really honest with yourself.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you buying for your wife or yourself? Between a 997.1 TT and a 997.2 C2S, I would immediately say 997.1 TT. The problem is with the 997.1 the slushbox is a tiptronic, which isn't very good. If you are buying it for your wife, let her choose. If for yourself a 997.1 TT 6-sp.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since you are considering these two different animals I'm assuming price or money is a bit of a factor. Never forget that maintenance on a Turbo is going to be roughly twice that of a C2. There's twice as much to remove and replace when messing with these things. Even for some of the basic maintenance.

Don't get yourself caught up into the 'more power is better' ploy. I came from a turbo (albeit from the air cooled days) and absolutely believe that any Carrera is more than up to the job in America. Many buy the Turbo strictly for bragging rights. Be really honest with yourself.
I owned a 2003 996 Turbo for six years. The maintenance on it was NOT 2x a normally aspirated 911. The only increased cost was tires, especially the rears that went from 12,000 miles on my 993 to 8,000 miles on the Turbo. The water cooled cars require a lot less maintenance that the air cooled models. Check my signature and you'll see I've owned a few 911s. The Turbo is hands down an everyday Supercar.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree don't drive the turbo cuz you will be hooked to the boost.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Turbo pipe" is hard to get off of.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since you are considering these two different animals I'm assuming price or money is a bit of a factor. Never forget that maintenance on a Turbo is going to be roughly twice that of a C2. There's twice as much to remove and replace when messing with these things. Even for some of the basic maintenance. The turbo cars are much heavily and just not going to be as tossable as any NA 2-wheel drive 911. Keep in mind that a 911 is fundamentally a RWD car. If you want the "911" experience get a RWD Carrera S. Porsche starting making all their turbos AWD because most average drivers (which we all fundamentally are except the F1 drivers on the forum) will kill themselves with all that power feeding only the rear wheels. They don't call the GT2 a widow maker for marketing reasons.

I've been off boost for 607 days(prior M3)... don't do it!

Have to agree with Dan though. AWD bugs me... makes the car heavier, handles differently then a Carrera should... So I'm just going to boost my C2S instead to make a widow maker. JK... well maybe not.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

Turbo - For raw speed and high grip levels, the performance is off the scale and huge tunability!
C2S - For a more sporty driving experience and in my view a more fun and rewarding drive, its more of a drivers car. RWD, N/A and it weighs less.

I'd go for C2S as I preferre the drive and I do a lot of trackdays and for me C2S/GT3 are definetely better suited for people who enjoy tracking their cars.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT vs 997.2 C2S...opinions?