Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Swepco 503... 1 bottle for each of the 3 fill-ups before I change the oil at 3K miles or 4-5months... whichever comes 1st.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Swepco 503... 1 bottle for each of the 3 fill-ups before I change the oil at 3K miles or 4-5months... whichever comes 1st.
You get 1,000 miles per tank?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
You get 1,000 miles per tank?
I wish... actually maybe not. Perhaps the new 991 could get that type of mileage as it will cut off the engine at a stop light... what a brilliant idea for a sports car.

To clarify: after a new oil change I don't use any additive initially. As I approach the 3K mile mark or ~4 months after my last oil change... I start adding 1 bottle of Swepe to each fill up until I've done this three times(ideally) before I change my oil... then I start the entire cycle over again.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I wish... actually maybe not. Perhaps the new 991 could get that type of mileage as it will cut off the engine at a stop light... what a brilliant idea for a sports car.

To clarify: after a new oil change I don't use any additive initially. As I approach the 3K mile mark or ~4 months after my last oil change... I start adding 1 bottle of Swepe to each fill up until I've done this three times(ideally) before I change my oil... then I start the entire cycle over again.
After I made my post, I figured that was what you meant. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhat off topic but I get around 200 miles per tank before the message comes on "consider remaining fuel", wish the range would be around 300 miles between fill ups (larger fuel tank or better MPG).
Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Shell 93 with techron every 8,000 miles or so. Lubro Moly MOs2 additive in the oil also. I don't know if it really works or not but the turbos on the Audi seem to spool quieter when cold with it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Is Lubro Molly a German product?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Yes it is. When the company used to market their products under the liqui moly name they sponsored a few 935 race cars.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...l3zoo1_500.jpg
Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Nope, it is definitely soot from my car. Soot from the DFI engines is common. I had two previous 997.1 cars with no soot issues. I have some soot, as I think all 997.2 owners do, with any gas. But there is no doubt that it is worse with V-Power.

Thanks for the lecture on needing to spend more time looking through the windshield than looking at the back of the car. I don't recall saying that I spend much time looking at the back of the car, nor did I say I was concerned, or thought I had a problem with the car. The soot is pretty easy to see when I wash my car. I simply asked if anyone had noticed more soot when using Shell V-Power. Thanks again for the lecture.
For the lecture tone of my previous post, I apologize.

Let me try to keep the lecture tone toned down...

I follow various models of Porsches -- those I own and or may want to own at some point in the future -- and I have brought up this issue of DFI soot production to various techs at Porsche dealerships and the techs to a man look at me like I'm crazy.

For reasons I won't bother to state I do not feel this is some lame cover up act/conspiracy on their part.

My experience with primarily Shell V-Power (admittedly though not in DFI 1 or DFI 2 engines) is quite good. For brevity's sake my experiences have been from usiing this gas for scores of tens of thousands of miles in both my cars: 02 Boxster, 03 996 Turbo; and in addition to either car *not* exhibiting any issues that could remotely be blamed on the gasoline both cars have passed the required regular CA smog checks/tests with no problems.

That the Turbo does this with over 97K miles on it is one thing. but that the Boxster does this with over 257K miles on it, with its original engine and converters I might add, is I think not only a testament to the quality of these cars but to the quality of Shell gasoline.

This is not an ad for Shell: There are I'm sure equally high quality brands of gasoline out there as well, my circumstances have me using Shell except in very rare instances but I would be and my cars too equally happy using another brand of top tier gasoline.

BTW, we say soot but I wonder...When I perform the initial wetting -- using the rinse setting -- of the car prior to washing the car the color of the rinse water that runs off the back of the car is indistiguishable from the color of the rinse water that runs off of the wheel/brakes when I give them their initial wetting. This suggests to me that the soot might not be all soot, or might not be soot at all, but brake dust at least in my car's case with the standard cast iron brake rotors.

So, with your car's engine exhibiting no signs of any trouble, with the engine controller not signaling something is amiss -- and it runs countless checks for anything amiss every millisecond the engine is running -- any soot (unless the amount of soot is huge and then I would be surprised there are no other symptoms) -- the level of soot production is normal.

As I touched upon in my previous post the amount of soot is probably more a factor of the car's aerodynamics which makes for if you will for more efficient accumulation of any soot produced rather than an accurate yardstick of how much actual soot is being produced.

Ok, but I'm sure you still have concerns so if I still have your attention in your car's case simply try another gasoline. This leaves everything else the same.

My sincerest wish is the change in gasoline reduces the amount of soot to the point any concerns you have on this matter are eliminated.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
For the lecture tone of my previous post, I apologize.

Let me try to keep the lecture tone toned down...

I follow various models of Porsches -- those I own and or may want to own at some point in the future -- and I have brought up this issue of DFI soot production to various techs at Porsche dealerships and the techs to a man look at me like I'm crazy.

For reasons I won't bother to state I do not feel this is some lame cover up act/conspiracy on their part.

My experience with primarily Shell V-Power (admittedly though not in DFI 1 or DFI 2 engines) is quite good. For brevity's sake my experiences have been from usiing this gas for scores of tens of thousands of miles in both my cars: 02 Boxster, 03 996 Turbo; and in addition to either car *not* exhibiting any issues that could remotely be blamed on the gasoline both cars have passed the required regular CA smog checks/tests with no problems.

That the Turbo does this with over 97K miles on it is one thing. but that the Boxster does this with over 257K miles on it, with its original engine and converters I might add, is I think not only a testament to the quality of these cars but to the quality of Shell gasoline.

This is not an ad for Shell: There are I'm sure equally high quality brands of gasoline out there as well, my circumstances have me using Shell except in very rare instances but I would be and my cars too equally happy using another brand of top tier gasoline.

BTW, we say soot but I wonder...When I perform the initial wetting -- using the rinse setting -- of the car prior to washing the car the color of the rinse water that runs off the back of the car is indistiguishable from the color of the rinse water that runs off of the wheel/brakes when I give them their initial wetting. This suggests to me that the soot might not be all soot, or might not be soot at all, but brake dust at least in my car's case with the standard cast iron brake rotors.

So, with your car's engine exhibiting no signs of any trouble, with the engine controller not signaling something is amiss -- and it runs countless checks for anything amiss every millisecond the engine is running -- any soot (unless the amount of soot is huge and then I would be surprised there are no other symptoms) -- the level of soot production is normal.

As I touched upon in my previous post the amount of soot is probably more a factor of the car's aerodynamics which makes for if you will for more efficient accumulation of any soot produced rather than an accurate yardstick of how much actual soot is being produced.

Ok, but I'm sure you still have concerns so if I still have your attention in your car's case simply try another gasoline. This leaves everything else the same.

My sincerest wish is the change in gasoline reduces the amount of soot to the point any concerns you have on this matter are eliminated.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Sounds like your experience has been with non DFI engines. I also had no problems with soot or whatever it is, on the back of my non DFI Porsches. I get some soot regardless of the gas I use in my DFI engine, as I think most DFI drivers do. I am not saying V-Power is bad gas. Just simply stating that for some reason I get significantly more soot when I use V-Power and just wondering if anyone else noticed this. And no, I am not worried about my engine. Just making an observation about soot and V-Power. I have no drivablilty issues with V-Powerr the other name brand gas I use.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I got some interesting experience to share. I live in BC, Canada and we are lucky enough to have a locally refined 94 Octane, 0% ethanol gas offered by Chevron. I literally ALWAYS use this gas, without exception and car runs absolutely great.

Now, over the last 4-5 weeks, I've been going to WA for either weekend trips, or track days almost every weekend, and have been filling up at various stations, Shell, 76, Arco, Chevron, etc...

Last week, my car started running very poor, I had absolutely no power down low, at low RPM car was bogging down and overall felt like it lost 50HP, engine was knocking more, and I think ECU was trying to map the new gas, engine was not spooling as fast, and even the engine noise was completely different! I do NOT remember the last gas station I filled up, could have been 76.

Whichever it was, it was a mix of running various 10% ethanol gas over the last few weeks and it definitely is NOT good for our engines whatsoever! I added a bottle of Octane boost, filled up (1/3 tank) with 94 Octane/0% ethanol and that seemed to have fixed the problem. So, basically I can totally report that 997.1 engines HATE ethanol, and could absolutely benefit from some octane boost additive, or ethanol treatment.

Now, my question is, which gas in US (more specifically in WA) has the best quality? Is there anywhere we can find 0% ethanol, or 5% ethanol? or at least one with proper gas treatment/additive?

- Arco (BP owned)
- Chevron
- 76 (Conoco Philips)
- Shell

Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're probably getting 91 octane and you're absolutely right. My BMW (slightly tweaked 335 442HP@the wheels) was running 94 when I was in Michigan and 91 in Washington. Granted the car was suppose to run on 91 with my tune but it ran like total shiz on Washington fuel. IDK man....I think you're right. I now run 93 BP (because I like what they did to the Gulf) and my car runs amazing. I don't know if they use any ethanol but I think they do.

I suspect your issue is going from 120 Proof ***** Creek to 100 proof. Your car can't handle it especially when smoking a cigar.

Originally Posted by alexb76
I got some interesting experience to share. I live in BC, Canada and we are lucky enough to have a locally refined 94 Octane, 0% ethanol gas offered by Chevron. I literally ALWAYS use this gas, without exception and car runs absolutely great.

Now, over the last 4-5 weeks, I've been going to WA for either weekend trips, or track days almost every weekend, and have been filling up at various stations, Shell, 76, Arco, Chevron, etc...

Last week, my car started running very poor, I had absolutely no power down low, at low RPM car was bogging down and overall felt like it lost 50HP, engine was knocking more, and I think ECU was trying to map the new gas, engine was not spooling as fast, and even the engine noise was completely different! I do NOT remember the last gas station I filled up, could have been 76.

Whichever it was, it was a mix of running various 10% ethanol gas over the last few weeks and it definitely is NOT good for our engines whatsoever! I added a bottle of Octane boost, filled up (1/3 tank) with 94 Octane/0% ethanol and that seemed to have fixed the problem. So, basically I can totally report that 997.1 engines HATE ethanol, and could absolutely benefit from some octane boost additive, or ethanol treatment.

Now, my question is, which gas in US (more specifically in WA) has the best quality? Is there anywhere we can find 0% ethanol, or 5% ethanol? or at least one with proper gas treatment/additive?

- Arco (BP owned)
- Chevron
- 76 (Conoco Philips)
- Shell

Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
You're probably getting 91 octane and you're absolutely right. My BMW (slightly tweaked 335 442HP@the wheels) was running 94 when I was in Michigan and 91 in Washington. Granted the car was suppose to run on 91 it ran like total shiz on Washington fuel. IDK man....I think you're right. I now run 93 BP (because I like what they did to the Gulf) and my car runs amazing. I don't know if they use any ethanol but I think they do.

I suspect your issue is going from 120 Proof ***** Creek to 100 proof. Your car can't handle it especially when smoking a cigar.
Are you from Spokane or TN?

Which gas station carries BP 93 in WA?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Spokane for 4 years. Now I live in the Nashville area. No 93 in Washington.

Are you from Spokane or TN?

Which gas station carries BP 93 in WA?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

- Arco (BP owned)
- Chevron
- 76 (Conoco Philips)
- Shell

Thanks
Here you go: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

Quick Reply: Additives