Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Luck or Taken Advantage of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mistake number 2 or 3 was going back to the dealer, thinkiing I would be able to use my power of negotiating to get them to accept some meaningful level of responsibility. It seems they are certainly taking full advantage of my situation in what they charge for service.

Bellevue is a small community in a lot of ways. Lot's of new tech money floating around to buy toys, but I have found reputation is very important in that group, and they are very plugged into communication channels. We will see what happens when I pick up the car this afternoon. I am still holding out hope that they want a happy cusotomer.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinseattle
Mistake number 2 or 3 was going back to the dealer, thinkiing I would be able to use my power of negotiating to get them to accept some meaningful level of responsibility. It seems they are certainly taking full advantage of my situation in what they charge for service.

Bellevue is a small community in a lot of ways. Lot's of new tech money floating around to buy toys, but I have found reputation is very important in that group, and they are very plugged into communication channels. We will see what happens when I pick up the car this afternoon. I am still holding out hope that they want a happy cusotomer.
Hey Gary,

I live locally, just recently purchased a similar car (06 cab from Barrier w/similar mileage) and have always had a great experience with them. Doesn't mean others haven't had issues with Barrier, I'm just talking about my own experience. Sorry to hear about Parkplace. Nothing I tell you regarding what you should have done, what they could have done, etc. is going to undo what's been done. That being said, I'm a little surprised that Parkplace isn't doing more to foster a reputation of being a dealership that does their best to care for customers after the deal has been made. I'm not suggesting they have a legal option to do so but in general, people "feel" better about buying from a dealer that has a reputation of building relationships as well as selling cars. For example, I purchased a Cayenne from Barrier recently (also an 06 w/no warranty), had the alternator fail after 6 months of ownership, Barrier covered the repair for me, free of charge. They had no obligation to other than their desire to maintain my business. My appreciation of their business practices has kept my loyalty.

To help fix the issue, I also recommend taking your car to either Chris' in Bellevue or Redmond European. Both great indy shops, both great folks to do business with, and both good mechanics to build relationships with. I'd bet you save more than the PP discount offered, having the work done at either shop.

I work at a tech company that purchases a pretty high number of exotic cars (at least by the number I see in the garage every morning) and I can tell you that stories like this, can and will scare people off from buying cars at Parkplace, even if the dealership has done no wrong.

Best of luck and let me know if you'd like to meet up and discuss cabs!

Take care,

KS
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i forgot about the IMS. thats extra. of course get the RMS done while youre at it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Not to hijack, but . . .

You know, you can sue under the Lemon aw if your '12 has required service that gives you standing. It's (the particulars of the law) are statutory so I only know how California's work. If you have a case they will either buy back the car or offer you a settlement in agreement not to sue again - but it doesn't void your warranty or any recall work, etc.

(I think it's odd that Turquoise blue's, being a not too common color, always seem to post near each other - even if they live in opposite sides of the U.S. or state?)
Same interests??

Tom
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

1st you should take it to an indy, 2nd, you cant expect them to stand behind the clutch with 1k use after you bought the car, thats absurd, sorry
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM
bigwatchpilot
3rd Gear

New here but grew up in Redmond...Park Place was always a consignment place and sales from what I remember. There was a shop down bel/red road...Chris's German Auto. He was a great guy always at PCA track events, would walk around and give you a hand without asking, ran ino him at Laguna setting up track cars after I moved away. Im in Memphis so no affiliation...but I remember him to this day. Worth a call at least...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3rd party PPI. End of story. ParkPlace is just down the road from me -
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

One more lesson on life I guess. I actually play golf with one of the Barrier owners, and have purchased most of my cars from them, and service there as well. Telling this story will not become my life mission, but it will be repeated often.

I will post the actual service bill next week. I talked with the service manager for 15-20 minutes and inspected the replaced parts. He was very nice and cooperative, but I did not walk away with a clear understanding of exactly what failed, and why they replaced so many parts (like the flywheel). I did see wear on them, but not failure, and as I originally reported it happened sudden.

The other issue I have is that the clutch feels totally different than before. I was always very heavy, and hard to engage smoothly. I thought this was primarily my perspective since it has been 10+ years since I owned a 911, and most recently drove a 987 for many years.

The point is that anyone who knows cars, and these cars in particular (they have 6-7 on their lot now), could easily determine that the clutch needed attention. Yet it passed their inspection. Again, lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Bad Luck or Taken Advantage of?