Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Luck or Taken Advantage of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an indy to give you an estimate for the work. Forget about having it done by the dealer. Have you had the car less than 90 days? If so some states give you certain rights that warranty a used car for a brief period of time after sale.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
"2012 Porsche 911S Cpe. Garage Queen, but in shop for repair more days than all the above combined!"

What problems have you had with your new 911S that requires so much time for repairs? I was under the impression (hoping) from research that the 997.2 Porsches were relatively problem free.
That may be a 991?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can easily smoke a clutch in 25k miles if you abuse it. I'd be concerned that there might be some mileage fixing. Do some research to make sure that odometer hasn't been tampered with.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

guys, the clutch didn't wear out, the pressure plate failed, which can happen at any time.

$4,700 seems steep, but thems the breaks.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
garyinseattle
Instructor

Quadcammer is correct, the clutch is not being replaced for $4700, just the pressure plate and other misc items.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

That's why I don't buy used anything! Except houses.

I certainly wouldn't let them fix it or I'd get another estimate at least.

Tom
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
YES. Heck, I have been disappointed in my new 2012 997S and the service I have recieved from my dealer. I won't deal with them again and I am telling all my friends who are willing to listen to my story.
Originally Posted by beden1
"2012 Porsche 911S Cpe. Garage Queen, but in shop for repair more days than all the above combined!"

What problems have you had with your new 911S that requires so much time for repairs? I was under the impression (hoping) from research that the 997.2 Porsches were relatively problem free.
Not to hijack, but . . .

You know, you can sue under the Lemon aw if your '12 has required service that gives you standing. It's (the particulars of the law) are statutory so I only know how California's work. If you have a case they will either buy back the car or offer you a settlement in agreement not to sue again - but it doesn't void your warranty or any recall work, etc.

(I think it's odd that Turquoise blue's, being a not too common color, always seem to post near each other - even if they live in opposite sides of the U.S. or state?)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM
kmac33
AutoX

Long time lurker here (have not taken the jump into ownership yet, but very seriously looking at finally satisfying the many years long 911 itch with a 997...Finally chiming in on a thread.

Learned from a friend with a Cayman S that pressure plate failures on 06-07 Caymans (with low mileage) were/are more common than they should be. Apparent weak spot for the Caymans. Porsche was taking care of replacement under warranty for some, but not all - and Porsche not willing to admit there is an issue.
I had not read or heard of this being an issue with the 997's though. Good luck getting this resolved!

Originally Posted by GregGH
Question - would you be able to get a CPO on a 2007 ? as is noted by poster ... don't you need an existing vehicle with remaining factory warranty ...like an 2009 at least ...given 4 years ...

Sorry - a Newbie question ... trying hard to learn ...:-)
Greg
You can still get a CPO on an 07 or even earlier year. From the Porsche web site:
CPO Warranty coverage:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.
For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:
• 2 years from the date of used retail delivery
OR
• 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long were you driving it before it failed? Isn't there an implied warranty of fittness for some time after purchase?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with almost everyone. a) it's bad luck and b) the repair is too expensive.

I wouldn't worry about abuse from the original owner, that would be clutch failure, not pressure plate.

And I wonder if CPO would cover clutch components?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

again why $4700??? the clutch kit which includes (disc, pressure plate, and bearing) is like $900. Slave + Accumulator $500-600? Labor is what 8-9hrs so about $1000 @$125/hr.

doesnt add up to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
again why $4700??? the clutch kit which includes (disc, pressure plate, and bearing) is like $900. Slave + Accumulator $500-600? Labor is what 8-9hrs so about $1000 @$125/hr.

doesnt add up to me.
Stealership...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different State have different laws for used car purchases and various used car Dealers have their own guarantees to used car sales too. It seems like WA State and this Dealer provides none.

I wouldn't be happy about this issue either but this is not something your selling Dealer could have hidden during the test drive, etc., sadly just bad luck on your part.

IMHO and previous experience is to be calm and gently inform your selling Dealer that you are active on various Porsche sites and other high-end car sites and will be consulting with other owners re this issue on line. A high-end Dealer does not want bad publicity and this will encourage them to work more effectively with you (more than 15%). Nobody responds well to threats, so the key is to be calm and approach them in a professional and civilized manner.

Good luck and I hope you get your car back soon, all in good order. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinseattle
Caution, cringe-worthy story ahead: Purchased an 07 997s Cab from a local exotic car dealership, Park Place LTD. 25K miles, clean car fax, all service records ect. I work at a hospital, and golf at a local country club, so I know lots of people who have bought a car there, and lot's of potential buyers. Given that, I felt safe in using their inspection, since they have a reputation to protect (yes I know mistake #1).

Drove the car to work, and everything is fine. When I leave, the clutch pedal is soft, and the clutch slips under load. I emailed the sales guy, and he tells me to bring it in for them to diagnose. Says he will give me a 25% off coupon (found out later only covers the first $250). I agree, thinking that they will ultimately stand behind this car, and go ahead and let them work on it, and argue the shared obligation later.

Long and the short of it is that the clutch pressure plate failed (not sure yet exactly what that means), and along with all the miscellaneous parts and labor to get it back in shape, the total bill is going to be north of $4700. They are going to replace a few of the other parts while they are in there, such as the clutch slave cylinder and pivot arm, and the intermediate shaft reseal

After going through the shop manager, sales associate and sales manager, the best they will do for me is a 15% discount, so I am still in for over $4K.

I realize I bought the car with no warranty, and these things do happen suddenly, and they cannot fix all their cars forever, but it seems pretty disappointing that I would need to spend $4K on a car after only 1K miles, and that they would not stand behind it in a more significant way. I have bought used cars, and many Porches' over the past couple of decades. I know there is always the chance of getting burned, and can afford to underwrite that risk myself.

I assumed they would want to split the bill with me or some other arrangement, since I will now tell this story to lots of people. Although it failed on my watch, it had to be going bad, and have some signs of stress. As I know, the type of person who can write a check for $60K+ for one of their toys, is a much smaller audience than the ones buying and financing $60K BMW's. I know a large number of these people.

My question is should I feel like I just got the luck of the draw, or should I feel taken advantage of?
Why won't some people actually Read what the OP stated ^^^ before making comments,instead of just browsing real quick is beyond me...
As the OP wrote,he bought the car from an ' exotic car dealership '...now,does that sound to you that he meant a Porsche dealer?! Only a Porsche dealer can certify a Porsche,so no CPO.
Another misinformation,that Porsche dealers can only certify 6 yrs old cars. Wrong!!! Porsche dealer can certify up to 8 years from the In Service date!...and of course below 100.000 miles. My car MY 2002 got certified 2 months before the In Service date was up in 2010!
Going back to the subject,my advice is to try to take it someplace else to get it fixed,because 4700$ is way too much!!! They're showing you a 15% discount but what's really happening is they're ' burning ' you with parts and labor. It's the same cheap salesman tactic that they use when you trade in your car : you want this much for your trade,they're offering less...in the end somehow you come to an agreement and they give you as much as you wanted or close to that number...but that's what you see on paper,in reality,they've raised the selling price of the new car with exactly that amount.
Good luck and I'm sorry you've started your Porsche ownership this way! They're great cars and you're going to love it once you get over this!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinseattle
My question is should I feel like I just got the luck of the draw, or should I feel taken advantage of?
both, IMO.

luck of the draw- Its unfortunate u had clutch/pressure plate problem so soon after purchasing a used car. But as others have pointed out, that particular problem is often overlooked in the normal PPI since they won't actually open the assembly to inspect for wear. Also, the techs at 'exotic dealership' won't know the little signs that can point to a possible problem in a Porsche pressure plate, (such as overly-firm clutch pedal). Its also a wear-tear item, so most likely not covered under warranty unless u can prove mechanical failure.

taken advantage of- Instead of helping u, it appears to me that the dealership took this opportunity to make more money off u. Instead of working out a good service deal for u, they mark up their parts and labor 100 %, then give u a measly '15%' off.. In hind sight, u should have taken the car to an Indy u can trust and save $$. How much ? i think an Porsche Indy can do the same job for $2300..IMO (is that about right?)

Bottom line... it sucks.

Now, forget about it. And enjoy ur cab !

Quick Reply: Bad Luck or Taken Advantage of?