997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wave Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012 | 05:37 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

I have had 5 Corvettes. I still wave at them. I'm not a snob!
Old 09-19-2012 | 06:32 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I have had 5 Corvettes. I still wave at them. I'm not a snob!
I've been without my Corvette for about 3 weeks now and have been giving other Corvettes the thumbs up while passing in my Porsche. I got a return wave or thumbs up from each of them, although most intitially looked confused. Maybe I'll start a local trend where Porsche and Corvette owners can actually befriend one another?
Old 09-19-2012 | 07:48 PM
bigwatchpilot
3rd Gear

Well let me give y'all a big wave being my first post. Growing up on west coast always saw the headlight flash no waves. My first Porsche was a 914 and still have it. Being a pilot 911's would park next to the 914 at the airport over the years or park behind me so I couldn't leave until they found me to talk abouT flying and Porsches. Over the years more and more people dig the 914...not a lot of them left on the road these days. The 911 I would get flashes but not so much in the Midwest....

BWP
Old 09-19-2012 | 08:53 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Funny this thread came up...Driving home today I had a new Boxster just on the right of me. He looked over at me, I waved to him and he turned his head! He must of been 20 years old. I think kids these days drive nice cars for their 1st car "still living at home?" brought me back to my 1st car 60 VW bug...they just seem that's it's owed to them!!! I am now going to stop venting!
Old 09-19-2012 | 09:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

or maybe he worked his *** off and looked young.

Maybe he doesn't care that you plunked down some money to purchase a car from the same company as you...I probably wouldn't either.

Bottom line, your assumptions are ridiculous.
Old 09-19-2012 | 09:38 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Flash everyone... bring back the flash.
Old 09-19-2012 | 09:47 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Maybe he doesn't care that you plunked down some money to purchase a car from the same company as you...I probably wouldn't either.

No Waves For You!
Old 09-19-2012 | 11:26 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Did I hit a sore spot Quadcammer? My assumptions come from the area I live in!
Old 09-19-2012 | 11:54 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

I bought my first new car as I worked my way through my final year of undergraduate. It was a Triumph TR6. I was "instructed" by the salesman as I prepared to leave the dealership in my new car, to wave at all sports cars and expect waves from all except the Porsches. He further told me that the tradition began when the troops returned from WW2 and began to buy the cars they had seen and loved in Europe. The wave I was told, began as a recognition of another owner of what was then a small number of small roadsters brought to America. I have no clue as to whether this guy knew what he was talking about, but I always enjoy thinking about his instructions and his version of the birth of the wave.
a few weeks ago I travelled about 100 miles in my 997.2 along with someone driving a C4S. As traffic patterns changed we passed one another multiple times over the miles and never once did the driver of the other car even glance over. Even though we were in a rural area where it is unusual to see one P car, let alone two, we received looks and waves from others as they passed or were passed. It was during this trip that I was reminded of the story I was told many years ago by the Triumph salesman.

To the Original poster....I still wave.
Old 09-20-2012 | 12:01 AM
krysFly
Instructor

waveless attitude
Old 09-20-2012 | 12:30 AM
buddy911t
Pro

I think if someone is friendly enough to wave to you, no matter what your driving, your a self centered ******* if you don't acknowledge them back.
Old 09-20-2012 | 09:20 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I was thinking the same thing, "***** or *******." The quad is from the Clifton, NJ and probably commutes to the big city....you have to expect this type attitude from some people in NJ.

Quad has learned to live with himself so I guess we can too.

Originally Posted by buddy911t
I think if someone is friendly enough to wave to you, no matter what your driving, your a self centered ******* if you don't acknowledge them back.
Old 09-20-2012 | 09:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by beden1
No Waves For You!
Good, I wouldn't wave back

Originally Posted by 911Steve
Did I hit a sore spot Quadcammer? My assumptions come from the area I live in!
kinda. Everybody assumes that since I look young and drive a 911 (even though its an ancient ****box) that it was given to me by my parents, with whom I apparently live.

I can see why you make those assumptions coming from where you do, but don't judge every book by its cover.

Originally Posted by krysFly
waveless attitude
Yes, it sure is. I'm not about to spend my time in the car waving about like some fool to every tom, dick, and harry that dropped a few bucks on a car from a company that makes over 100,000 cars a year.

This waving nonsense made some modicum of sense (and I mean very little), when porsche made like 15k cars a year and they were rare in the US.
Old 09-20-2012 | 09:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Heres a question:

Why are you waving in the first place? Really, take the time to think about it. Are you trying to feel some kind of camaraderie with a total stranger? I don't get the point.

If someone I don't know waves at me, i'd probably wonder who the hell they were and why they were waving.

Originally Posted by Spokane5150

I was thinking the same thing, "***** or *******." The quad is from the Clifton, NJ and probably commutes to the big city....you have to expect this type attitude from some people in NJ.

Quad has learned to live with himself so I guess we can too.
yes, right on all counts.
Old 09-20-2012 | 11:30 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

so quad, who ARE those older folks you are living with, if they aren't your parents?

i keed.

If my kid were living with me, assuming it was for financial reasons, and he/she bought a p-car, I would expel him or her immediately.

Quick Reply: Wave Protocol