Sponsored by:

Alcantara Interior Cleaning/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alcantara Interior Cleaning/Maintenance

I did a search but couldn't find where there was a discussion on how to care for Alcantara. I'm concerned about how it will hold up particularly on my steering wheel and shift **** over the long haul.

What do you clean it with and is there any product like Scotchguard to protect it? Also, I found a small square scuff pad packaged in my glove box. Is that to use on the alcantara like a swede brush?

Last edited by beden1; 09-15-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I had alcantarra on a previous M3. I recall reading posts on maintenance that suggested gently cleaning with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild detergent to keep the material from matting. I'm sure others will give you more detailed advice.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I had alcantarra on a previous M3. I recall reading posts on maintenance that suggested gently cleaning with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild detergent to keep the material from matting. I'm sure others will give you more detailed advice.
I didn't know the M3 came with alcantara? I didn't see it as an option when we ordered a 2011 M3 sedan for our son. Was that a special order?

Last edited by beden1; 09-15-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Beden, Did you ever figure out how to post pictures of your new GTS? I never saw them, but maybe I missed them. If you can, post some photos.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I did a search but couldn't find where there was a discussion on how to care for Alcantara. I'm concerned about how it will hold up particularly on my steering wheel and shift **** over the long haul.

What do you clean it with and is there any product like Scotchguard to protect it? Also, I found a small square scuff pad packaged in my glove box. Is that to use on the alcantara like a swede brush?
Search here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/

I replace an alcantara steering wheel and shift **** on a used 2008 997.1 TT I purchased with 16,000 miles - it was really worn and shabby looking...most likely not cared for at all. I replaced with leather. My seats on the other hand have alcantara inserts and they look great. I use this to clean that part of the seats:
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail
Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

its easy, hot water and a wash cloth, then dry with a dry cloth
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
its easy, hot water and a wash cloth, then dry with a dry cloth
Agree that warm water and a clean cloth is the best way to lift stains. See link to Alcantara Maintenance instructions from the manufacturer of the material.

LINK - alcantara maintenance instructions

Here is a link to the website with the basics.

LINK - Basic Alcantara Maintenance
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Search here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/

I replace an alcantara steering wheel and shift **** on a used 2008 997.1 TT I purchased with 16,000 miles - it was really worn and shabby looking...most likely not cared for at all. I replaced with leather. My seats on the other hand have alcantara inserts and they look great. I use this to clean that part of the seats:
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail
Thank you for the information and links. I ordered some Autoglym interior cleaner to have around in case I need it.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by jes999
Agree that warm water and a clean cloth is the best way to lift stains. See link to Alcantara Maintenance instructions from the manufacturer of the material.

LINK - alcantara maintenance instructions

Here is a link to the website with the basics.

LINK - Basic Alcantara Maintenance
A damp cloth sounds pretty easy. I just wonder about like skin oils from your hands on the shift **** and stick.

I appreciate the links. They were very helpful.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 AM
beden1
Pro

A damp cloth sounds pretty easy. I just wonder about like skin oils from your hands on the shift **** and stick.
void
Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Beden, Did you ever figure out how to post pictures of your new GTS? I never saw them, but maybe I missed them. If you can, post some photos.
No I have not, unfortunately. I'll keep trying when I get the chance. I had no problems with other forums but I guess this one is set up differently?

Thanks for the interest.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't know the M3 came with alcantara? I didn't see it as an option when we ordered a 2011 M3 sedan for our son. Was that a special order?
It was an E46 and I think the seats/wheel may have been swapped out from a 330i ZHP. I can't remember is the headliner was alcantara.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

beden1, send a email to Todd Cooperider from http://www.detailedimage.com/
He is a expert detailer and he will give you directions on how to clean and what products can be used to clean/protect alcantara
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the links. They were very helpful.
I have had my GT3 for almost three years now. It has Alcantara everywhere in the interior, and the Alcantara has been holding up very well.

As I have been posted before, one big trick that I use to upkeep the Alcantara is to use a 'Bath Mitt.' Yes, those they sell at everywhere like Bed Bath & Beyond.

Just gently wipe the Alcantara area with a bath mitt once a while, and it will clean up the dust and upkeep the Alcantara finish.

If we have sweaty palms or after a, ahem, sweaty drive -- after the drive, just get a new & clean bat mitt (they are cheap, stock up a few just in case) gently wipe the steering wheel and shift ****. The bath mitt does a good job to suck out the sweat and skin oil, and refresh the finish of the Alcantara.

If the Alcatara surface is really really dirty, then use a damp Bath Mitt to wipe it clean first, and then use another clean & dry Bath Mitt to wipe it again.

That's all I do for the past three years, and it works well for me.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by axhoaxho; 09-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I have had my GT3 for almost three year now. It has Alcantara everywhere in the interior, and the Alcantara has been holding up very well.

As I have been posted before, one big trick that I use to upkeep the Alcantara is to use a 'Bath Mitt.' Yes, those they sell at everywhere like Bed Bath & Beyond.

Just gently wipe the Alcantara area with a bath mitt once a while, and it will clean up the dust and upkeep the Alcantara finish.

If we have sweaty palms or after a, ahem, sweaty drive -- after the drive, just get a new & clean bat mitt (they are cheap, stock up a few just in case) gently wipe the steering wheel and shift ****. The bath mitt does a good job to suck out the sweat and skin oil, and refresh the finish of the Alcantara.

If the Alcatara surface is really really dirty, then use a damp Bath Mitt to wipe it clean first, and then use another clean & dry Bath Mitt to wipe it again.

That's all I do for the past three years, and it works well for me.

Hope it helps.

We had planned to be near BB&B tomorrow. I'll pick up a number of the bath mitts. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Alcantara Interior Cleaning/Maintenance