Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mileage car service recs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012 | 02:37 PM
rockrich
Intermediate

Default Low mileage car service recs

My 08 C4S is 4 1/2 years old, but only 22k mileage. When would others recommend first service? So far only regular oil services and one brake flush. Service indicator only on for oil service now.
Thanks for advice
Old 09-13-2012 | 04:25 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Mine just turned 4 years old 35k miles in August and I did the 36K service including plugs, wipers, filters, and oil change.
Old 09-13-2012 | 07:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockrich
My 08 C4S is 4 1/2 years old, but only 22k mileage. When would others recommend first service? So far only regular oil services and one brake flush. Service indicator only on for oil service now.
Thanks for advice
Service indicator signals car is due for service including oil/filter. Just changing the oil/filter is not a full service.

What to service? Whatever is scheduled for say 24K/30K miles or 4+ years. Sometimes plugs are due on time if not on miles. Along with plugs engine intake and cabin air filters.

What I would recommend if you do not do this yourself, is to have the radiator ducts inspected and cleared/cleaned of any trash (which can cause corrosion and ruin a condenser/radiator) and have all body water drains inspected and the drain basins cleaned and the drains checked to ensure water drains away without any problems.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:11 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
Service indicator signals car is due for service including oil/filter. Just changing the oil/filter is not a full service.

What to service? Whatever is scheduled for say 24K/30K miles or 4+ years. Sometimes plugs are due on time if not on miles. Along with plugs engine intake and cabin air filters.

What I would recommend if you do not do this yourself, is to have the radiator ducts inspected and cleared/cleaned of any trash (which can cause corrosion and ruin a condenser/radiator) and have all body water drains inspected and the drain basins cleaned and the drains checked to ensure water drains away without any problems.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I can vouch for Macster's sage advice, especially regarding cleaning the drains. Spend the small $ now, so you're not forced to spend the big $$$ later.
Old 09-13-2012 | 09:06 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

I believe the Porsche Service book lists all required service by miles and time. Most of us Porsche owner have this issue with low miles thus the need to service some items by time line instead of mileage.

My 2006 has 22K miles on it, I change the oil/filter every six months regardless of mileage and do other services as required. All except the coolant which specified as infinite life(if there is such a thing).
Old 09-14-2012 | 08:50 AM
Slamuth
Racer

Inspecting all the drains has been on my to-do list, anyone have guidance on where all the primary drain spots are located?
Old 09-14-2012 | 09:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Slamuth
Inspecting all the drains has been on my to-do list, anyone have guidance on where all the primary drain spots are located?
For the 997 (as with my 996 Turbo and my Boxster) I believe there are drains at the front of the car under the trunk under the panels that are on either side of the battery.

Not having seen a 997 in this area -- at least not really paying attention I'm working on assumptions they are not that much different in this area than other models -- you have to of course open the front trunk, then remove the battery cover -- in my cars this is held in place with a couple of quick release/twist fasteners -- then remove the cover/panel on either side of the battery. These require a small Torx bit IIRC.

The drain basins are (in my cars) dark styrofoam that catch any water than drains down and at the very bottom the basin feeds a hole which has a tube that dumps the water out under the car. Knowing Porsche the end of the tube is cut and positioned just so so there is a negative pressure created when the car is moving which helps pull any moisture/water down the basin and out the tube.

Now my Boxster has a drain basin on each side of the soft top under the small area where the calm shell arm resides.

For coupes I do not know where the drains are located at the of the car. Gee I should know... maybe I had better find out!

Anyhow, if there is any trash remove it with care. Do not damage that styrofoam or knock it out of position or the water may not drain right.

"Test" the drain function by pouring water into the basin and verifying it runs out with no delay.

If there is any trash in the drain tube you want to remove it but be very gentle to not damage the hose. If you damage the hose while the water still drains out basin bottom it runs into the car where it shouldn't. Or worse, air pressure under the car forces water in the basin to be sprayed up and wets the battery or the area under the battery. The fuel pump -- under a cover -- resides there along with other stuff, important stuff, stuff that does not want to be subject to water.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Low mileage car service recs