Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt blew out, coming back from lunch today..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt blew out, coming back from lunch today..

Just my luck… The last two weeks have been really bad. Last week my little dachshund had to have back surgery, poor little guy and then today coming back from lunch “luckily I was less than a mile from home” my serpentine belt blew. At first I thought it was a tire. Then realized it was the belt when the “charging system” light came on. I pulled over and keep it running and checked and sure enough the belt had blown off. It had basically blew into pieces. I backed off the ramp and nursed it home. It got close to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, but I don’t think it ever got there. I haven’t even had the car a month now. Man I hope this isn’t things to come with this car. It’s an 05 one owner with less than 24k miles on her. Once I got home I called the dealership and spoke to the salesman and asked him the question is the dealership going to take care of this since I have a 30 day warranty? He said that he would ask the question. He also stated that at least he would see if they would discount if they didn’t take care of it all. I would have thought the dealership would have checked the belt to see if it needed to be replaced. I did notice taking the same ramp once I went home and got my other car that there was a small part of a tension pulley or something like that. I’m wondering ft that is what blew then took out the belt? Man I just hope it’s nothing major!!! What should I expect from the dealership in regards to cost since it’s under the 30 day warranty? I know there is a lot of fine print stuff in the warranty. I’m just curious what they will do. This is my first Porsche and the first time dealing with this dealership, except when I bought the car. O well any suggestions would be great..

Thanks all,

Cameron
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cameronl
Just my luck… The last two weeks have been really bad. Last week my little dachshund had to have back surgery, poor little guy and then today coming back from lunch “luckily I was less than a mile from home” my serpentine belt blew. At first I thought it was a tire. Then realized it was the belt when the “charging system” light came on. I pulled over and keep it running and checked and sure enough the belt had blown off. It had basically blew into pieces. I backed off the ramp and nursed it home. It got close to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, but I don’t think it ever got there. I haven’t even had the car a month now. Man I hope this isn’t things to come with this car. It’s an 05 one owner with less than 24k miles on her. Once I got home I called the dealership and spoke to the salesman and asked him the question is the dealership going to take care of this since I have a 30 day warranty? He said that he would ask the question. He also stated that at least he would see if they would discount if they didn’t take care of it all. I would have thought the dealership would have checked the belt to see if it needed to be replaced. I did notice taking the same ramp once I went home and got my other car that there was a small part of a tension pulley or something like that. I’m wondering ft that is what blew then took out the belt? Man I just hope it’s nothing major!!! What should I expect from the dealership in regards to cost since it’s under the 30 day warranty? I know there is a lot of fine print stuff in the warranty. I’m just curious what they will do. This is my first Porsche and the first time dealing with this dealership, except when I bought the car. O well any suggestions would be great..

Thanks all,

Cameron

The condition of the belt shouldn't be that bad at 24K miles,but if it's 7 yrs old and never replaced,that's another story. From what you're describing,it might have been taken off the track because of a faulty tensioner pulley.
They need to check the condition and play of all pulleys and make sure they're ok.
Do not worry too much,it's not such an expensive job and if the dealer wants you as a repeat customer,they will replace it at no cost to you,especially since you've only had it for a month...
Good luck!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Thank you...

I’m not sure it was ever tracked, but it could have been. The car is in really great shape with very minable chips... Hopefully I’ll be hearing from the dealership soon..
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

You drove the car with no belt? How far? Lucky you didn't destroy the engine.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thank you...

I’m not sure it was ever tracked, but it could have been. The car is in really great shape with very minable chips... Hopefully I’ll be hearing from the dealership soon..
Hey Cameron!

Read my initial post again. I didn't mean your car was taken at the track,I meant the serpentine belt jumped off it's track...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Neanicu,

Sorry I see that now..

Hopefully I will hear something soon..
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Gsrim3,

Less then a mile back to the house.. Trust me I was looking closely at the temp... I also raised the tail to get extra cool air in an hot air out..
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Looks like the dealership is going to take care of me!!! They said the bearing on the idler arm went out causing the belt to come apart..
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Looks like the dealership is going to take care of me!!! They said the bearing on the idler arm went out causing the belt to come apart..
Good job!
I think they're doing the right thing in building a good customer relationship. I'd give them a try for service next time...
Enjoy!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

Glad it was covered by the warranty. Although the failure was not caused by the serpentine belt, I think it is good practice to change it no later than every 50,000 miles or 5 years (Porsche states 60K or 6 years). I changed mine as part of regular maintenance at 42K miles and 4 years just to play it safe. It is one of those items where you can never guess when it will fail, but when it does, in most cases you will be far from home or the dealer.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 AM
holden997
Advanced

Hi Cameronl,

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Have the dealer check the other ones for wear (deep grooves on the surface and wobbly bearings). If yes, have them replaced!

There are 3 idler pulleys: top, bottom left, and bottom right, can you let me know which one(s) was replaced.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to RL. Good to hear that all is now well with the p-car and best of luck with your little dachshund. Our mini-dachshund had back surgery 6 months ago and has recovered nicely. It seemed like touch and go at 1st but they're hardy little fellows and he's now taking long walks with us again.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
cameronl
Advanced

Thanks again everyone.

Holden997 I'll post back once I get the car back and let you know. They said that they didnt have the pulley in stock so i'm not sure how long it will take. I just hope i'm not without her to long..

USMC_DS1 yes out little buddy is still down but seems to be improving everyday. He still has not taken his first steps. It's only been a little over a week since his surgery. We are hopeing for our long walks also..

Everyone have a great day..
Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 PM
holden997
Advanced

Thanks again everyone.

Holden997 I'll post back once I get the car back and let you know. They said that they didnt have the pulley in stock so i'm not sure how long it will take. I just hope i'm not without her to long..

USMC_DS1 yes out little buddy is still down but seems to be improving everyday. He still has not taken his first steps. It's only been a little over a week since his surgery. We are hopeing for our long walks also..

Everyone have a great day..
Hi Cameronl,

I hope your car is up and running again.
Can you let us know which pulley was replaced?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
cameronl
Advanced

Sorry for the late reply. Deflection pulley was replaced..

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt blew out, coming back from lunch today..