Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call: narrowly missed a head on at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the insights all. Great to have the perspective of others on this forum to analysis/improve my own decision making process for the next event and perhaps this thread might help other RL members as well. I truly hope, however, that it never comes to that for anyone. Based on the vid and photo freeze frames I figure he was still fully in my lane at 2.5 yellow center markers away in the 1st photo. I recall thinking that he was either a nutcase or a drunk bee lining for my DRLs so I did not want to come to a stop and a setting duck... Instead I want some momentum at the end to pick my direction. If a nutcase playing chicken then he'd jump back in his lane at the last moment... if drunk he would home in on my lights and in that case I would need to draw him in and make my move to the side as quick as possible at the end to avoid him if at all possible. One thing for sure... the blackbox camera paid for itself. If this had gone wrong my family would have had clear evidence of the incident to deal with any legal issues. Lastly, it's another reminder of how short life really could be... I would have never guessed that after 14 yrs in the Corps, Desert Storm 1, 3 millions miles of flying around the globe for work, African Safaris, life and all it's challenges... etc that an idiot driver on a non-descript country road would be one off my close calls and could have punched my ticket.

One detail I left out as I did not want to turn this into a political thread/discussion... I have to say though that it was comforting after the incident that I had the means by which to protect myself and my wife had the nutcase turned about to pursue us further. My 1st reaction was to make distance with the idiot and report to 911 while I'm grabbing for my backpack with 1911 from the back to the front... now 911(Sheriff's office) did take down the incident report but I did not see nor hear from LEO for the remainder of my hour drive nor thereafter... nor did I expect to... that's just the way it works. So it was comforting to have a track weapon(911) to maneuver through any further road challenges and my other weapon(1911) for anything else.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 09-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect that he lost his train of thought and thought it was a 2 lane highway all heading the same direction.

Driver's today just aren't aware at all. And there might have been some other factor such as alcohol, or texting, etc...

And you did the right thing. This is actually something they cover in Driver's Education classes and the instruction is always to go right and never to try and second guess someone and get in the oncoming lane.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

First and foremost, glad to know you and your passenger are well!

Thanks for sharing the hair raising incident, whatever the idiot's motives were, your analysis and quick reaction were the best that can be in such circumstance...even with the 1911 last ditch stand! We are so naked here in the republic of CA even to have that option

I too would like the option to turn off my DRL's when I like to.

Best to you always my friend!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Can you make out his license plate on the video?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
... One thing for sure... the blackbox camera paid for itself. If this had gone wrong my family would have had clear evidence of the incident to deal with any legal issues. ...
Tell us more about this blackbox video camera. Do you always have this device running when in the car?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
Can you make out his license plate on the video?
Tried to enhance the freeze frame but the camera just doesn't have the required resolution to show the license number. May have to play further with some pic enhancing software. I'm also researching some of the newer cam's out there to find something with a little better resolution at speed. Glad I have the cam though as it served it's purpose of providing video evidence against the potential of illicit legal recourse by others in these unforeseen traffic incidents.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Default Vehicle Blackbox

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Tell us more about this blackbox video camera. Do you always have this device running when in the car?
Same concept as the blackbox device within a plane. This one is small enough to fit in my hand. Hidden out of view behind my rear view mirror. Records video looking forward, speed, GPS location plus map, triggers on motion, looped recording, and 2GB SD card will save from 24AUG-09SEP so 2 plus weeks of frames at 10/sec. Got it off Amazon for ~$250 last year but there is a newer version. http://www.d-teg.us/

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  P1020340.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  97.2 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the insights all. Great to have the perspective of others on this forum to analysis/improve my own decision making process for the next event and perhaps this thread might help other RL members as well. I truly hope, however, that it never comes to that for anyone. Based on the vid and photo freeze frames I figure he was still fully in my lane at 2.5 yellow center markers away in the 1st photo. I recall thinking that he was either a nutcase or a drunk bee lining for my DRLs so I did not want to come to a stop and a setting duck... Instead I want some momentum at the end to pick my direction. If a nutcase playing chicken then he'd jump back in his lane at the last moment... if drunk he would home in on my lights and in that case I would need to draw him in and make my move to the side as quick as possible at the end to avoid him if at all possible. One thing for sure... the blackbox camera paid for itself. If this had gone wrong my family would have had clear evidence of the incident to deal with any legal issues. Lastly, it's another reminder of how short life really could be... I would have never guessed that after 14 yrs in the Corps, Desert Storm 1, 3 millions miles of flying around the globe for work, African Safaris, life and all it's challenges... etc that an idiot driver on a non-descript country road would be one off my close calls and could have punched my ticket.

One detail I left out as I did not want to turn this into a political thread/discussion... I have to say though that it was comforting after the incident that I had the means by which to protect myself and my wife had the nutcase turned about to pursue us further. My 1st reaction was to make distance with the idiot and report to 911 while I'm grabbing for my backpack with 1911 from the back to the front... now 911(Sheriff's office) did take down the incident report but I did not see nor hear from LEO for the remainder of my hour drive nor thereafter... nor did I expect to... that's just the way it works. So it was comforting to have a track weapon(911) to maneuver through any further road challenges and my other weapon(1911) for anything else.
Glad to hear everything worked out. Any issues getting a hold of the Sheriff. My wife was traveling 130 from Georgetown to the airport, noticed a 18 wheeler going from shoulder to shoulder (sleeping?). She called 911, initially got Williamson County, then she reported the mile marker and they transferred her to Pflugerville and by the time someone picked up that call, she went to Travis County and eventually DPS - not sure if anything was done but she was frustrated going through 4 different jurisdictions.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So happy you avoided a tragedy! Also commendable is your self-restraint. Given you're a Texan and an ex-Marine, I'll assume you were armed. A lesser man would've turned round and given chase, which Porsche-vs-crapcar you would've easily overtaken him.

PS, Pierce Brosnan-era JB Seamaster is one of my favourites.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

JH, good to hear that your wife was not hurt sir. BTW, we were east bound on 79 just outside of Rockdale. 911 did patch me straight through to the Sheriff's department so no issues reaching LEO where we were. I assume they did not catch up with the other driver as we have not heard from them. They have my contact info, wish I had his license plate, I'd turn that and the vid in as evidence of reckless driving on his part otherwise.

VG, I looked into how to turn off my DRL via my Durametric tool. Apparently my Enthusiast tool(cable) does not support these p-dealer type changes... I could, however, trade up to their Professional tool to affect this and gain other functions.

PB, thanks and I was carrying my 1911(.45 ACP) at the time... thought about pursuing to just get his license plate but with my wife as a passenger I thought better of it so I decided to gain distance and protect instead. With potential use of deadly force also comes duty/responsibility to show restraint where possible. In hind sight I'm not sure that any other course would have benefit anyone further. My wife and I are GTG, the car is unblemished, LEO has all the info, I've passed on what little good(lesson learnt) I got out of this to others, all-in-all a decent turn of events given where this started. BTW, my dad had a Speedmaster for 35 yrs... got me hooked on Omega at an early age. Went with the Seamaster since I SCUBA dive.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. This is why I continue to come back to this forum. You're a great bunch of guys.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 09-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a scary experience last Friday evening. I'm driving home around 5:30pm, taking some of the smaller streets in the city as there's traffic all over the place. Was driving around 30-35, there's an oncoming car some way ahead and a cyclist coming up on my right. I move towards the center line to give the cyclist some extra room, give him a quick glance as I'm passing just to make sure he's got plenty of space, then all of a sudden I'm face to face with a cab head-on in my lane. The cab was tailgating the oncoming car and decided to pull out to overtake at the last moment. No indictor, no lights on and he's flooring it right at me. Thankfully I managed to stop short. The cab driver didn't even lift. Amazing how you can go from pleasant thoughts about what you're going to do with your weekend, what you're going to cook for dinner, etc, then you're glad to be alive.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

JH, good to hear that your wife was not hurt sir. BTW, we were east bound on 79 just outside of Rockdale. 911 did patch me straight through to the Sheriff's department so no issues reaching LEO where we were. I assume they did not catch up with the other driver as we have not heard from them. They have my contact info, wish I had his license plate, I'd turn that and the vid in as evidence of reckless driving on his part otherwise.

VG, I looked into how to turn off my DRL via my Durametric tool. Apparently my Enthusiast tool(cable) does not support these p-dealer type changes... I could, however, trade up to their Professional tool to affect this and gain other functions.

PB, thanks and I was carrying my 1911(.45 ACP) at the time... thought about pursuing to just get his license plate but with my wife as a passenger I thought better of it so I decided to gain distance and protect instead. With potential use of deadly force also comes duty/responsibility to show restraint where possible. In hind sight I'm not sure that any other course would have benefit anyone further. My wife and I are GTG, the car is unblemished, LEO has all the info, I've passed on what little good(lesson learnt) I got out of this to others, all-in-all a decent turn of events given where this started. BTW, my dad had a Speedmaster for 35 yrs... got me hooked on Omega at an early age. Went with the Seamaster since I SCUBA dive.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. This is why I continue to come back to this forum. You're a great bunch of guys.
From the photos it looks like you have Sports Chrono - if so, you should have a menu in the PCM to turn off DRL. IIRC, from the Main screen, push the set button on the right side and then look for individual settings - there should be a DRL option among 3 or 4 other options. I think you have to be stationary to turn off DRL using the PCM.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 09-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

..and the good fellas like you are the reason this forum rocks my friend, thank you!

Re. Turning the DRL's off I wonder if this can be changed via dealer setting like how the door lock modes can be changed by the dealers?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With my 997.2, the option to defeat the DRLs is not in the PCM. I followed the instruction manual's guidance and that option does not exist. But I was able to turn them off through the OBC. However, IIRC, someone replied in an earlier thread that the OBC DRL defeat option does not exist with the 997.1.

I have never favored DRLs. In my view, it's just another nanny state invention, this time a Canadian import. Plus, if other drivers can't see a SY Aerokitted GTS, a few lights won't make a difference. I'm just trying not to incite other drivers into irresponsible behavior.

This leads back to the subject of bad drivers. I hadn't wanted to start a post on this, but I have twice recently had close encounters with street racer wannabes. The first was (it appeared) a heavily modded WRX STi, but this guy never looked over at me; he just sped up and slowed, repeated seveal times and then figured out that I wasn't going to play. The second incident, and far more serious, was a new Camaro ZL1 that refused to leave me alone. He obviously had nowhere to go and was out for "fun". After several minutes on the freeway with me trying to lose him by slowing, moving right, etc., I exited onto another highway and he followed. I exited that highway, him still following too close. But I knew where a very tight U-turn was underneath the highway. I dialed up my old autocross skills, entering and making that turn as fast as I dared. Thankfully, he he didn't follow.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the photos it looks like you have Sports Chrono - if so, you should have a menu in the PCM to turn off DRL. IIRC, from the Main screen, push the set button on the right side and then look for individual settings - there should be a DRL option among 3 or 4 other options. I think you have to be stationary to turn off DRL using the PCM.
JH, that did it... thanks! You just saved me from buying another tool I really use. BTW, I still remember your nice gesture last year - the free battery. LMK how I can repay you back someday.

VG, thanks and I don't recall if your blue Carrera has SC but you may want to try this out as well if you want to turn your DRL off.

BTW, I ran my Durametric tool to see if I might have over rev'd her during this incident as I had down shifted from 6th to 2nd. Good news... no over revs... it still shows the original 78 hits in band two from before I had purchased the car. Everything looks good and I treated her to an oil change yesterday. Life is good... enjoy the ride brothers.

Quick Reply: Close call: narrowly missed a head on at 70mph