iPhone Integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Bob Dibble
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Integration

Just picked up a new 991 with PCM 3.1

I have an iPhone 4 that plays music from an alternative to itunes; spotify, rhapsody, pandora, etc..

I should have two options: Bluetooth Audio and iPod connector, however, neither works 100%.

Here are my issues:

Bluetooth Audio

It takes 60+ seconds for the car to find the phone. It sometimes (rarely) has a few seconds where the sound has quality problems. It sometimes (rarely) won't next song. Today for the first time it didn't find the bluetooth audio at all. It did find the bluetooth phone.

iPod Connector: The next button on the car stereo starts the itunes music and does that song rather than staying with Spotify or Pandora. The next works in bluetooth audio. I am thinking about having a permanent phone in the car so this isn't an issue for me, but I can only get sound out if I disable bluetooth on the phone.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get bullet proof sound from Spotify/Pandora/Rhapsody? I saw someone mention Music Controls Pro and jailbreaking their phone to solve a similar problem with BMW's. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Bob,
Congrats on your new car. This is the 997 forum. You may want to try the 991 forum for more responses
Caesar
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Bob Dibble
5th Gear

Sorry, when I go to forums.rennlist.com and click on water cooled I don't see a 991 forum. After clicking around, I found it. I will post there.

Thx...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Hi Bob....congrats on the 991. I suspect that you're not an audiophile because the quality of stream music and compressed music sucks. Nonetheless, I think you should jam into the dealership real quick and ask one of the sales guys to walk you through the process. They usually know the ins/outs of getting you phone to work. If you want a little better quality signal I'd directly hook your iphone up.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Bob Dibble
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Hi Bob....congrats on the 991. I suspect that you're not an audiophile because the quality of stream music and compressed music sucks. Nonetheless, I think you should jam into the dealership real quick and ask one of the sales guys to walk you through the process. They usually know the ins/outs of getting you phone to work. If you want a little better quality signal I'd directly hook your iphone up.
That is my problem wired isn't working. I think I am somewhat of an audiophile ;-)

Spotify uses a 320kbs bitrate while not uncompressed, that is pretty high quality. I also have the burmester sound...

I called the dealer they said it should work wired, but I am a little skeptical.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Dibble
Just picked up a new 991 with PCM 3.1

I have an iPhone 4 that plays music from an alternative to itunes; spotify, rhapsody, pandora, etc..

I should have two options: Bluetooth Audio and iPod connector, however, neither works 100%.

Here are my issues:

Bluetooth Audio

It takes 60+ seconds for the car to find the phone. It sometimes (rarely) has a few seconds where the sound has quality problems. It sometimes (rarely) won't next song. Today for the first time it didn't find the bluetooth audio at all. It did find the bluetooth phone.

iPod Connector: The next button on the car stereo starts the itunes music and does that song rather than staying with Spotify or Pandora. The next works in bluetooth audio. I am thinking about having a permanent phone in the car so this isn't an issue for me, but I can only get sound out if I disable bluetooth on the phone.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get bullet proof sound from Spotify/Pandora/Rhapsody? I saw someone mention Music Controls Pro and jailbreaking their phone to solve a similar problem with BMW's. Any help would be appreciated.
I've not tried using Bluetooth audio as I've heard of numerous problems with quality and functionality. I hook up my iPhone 4S directly to PCM using the connector in both my '09 Carrera and '11 Cayenne. "iPod" appears as one of the choices in PCM, I select that, access the Pandora App using my phone, and Pandora plays. I also have to access the phone directly to skip songs, change stations etc. If I don't access the Pandora App on the phone, I just get the regular iPod audio when I hook it up.

Keep in mind that even if you have Pandora One which normally plays at a 192K bitrate over the web, you will only get the basic 64k AAC+ rate when streaming through your mobile device. Suprisingly, it sounds pretty good; better IMO than FM. BTW, I don't have to disable Bluetooth to get this to work, and the phone function still works through PCM.

I know you have a 991 but it seems to me that if this all works on the '11 version of PCM in the Cayenne it should work in your car.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-07-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Oddly enough, I bought the new Bose Bluetooth system for my wife to use with her Asus tablet. It doesn't sound bad using Pandora. I will add that we have a very fast cable internet connection. I don't know how well it works for 3g or 4g cell phones.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I can tell the difference but what do you do. It's so convienient to listen to you music using the iphone or similar device. Use the best bit rate you can. I've been slow to move towards using my iphone for music but maybe it's time to suck it in and tough it out.

Hope they get things sorted out for you soon.

Originally Posted by Bob Dibble
That is my problem wired isn't working. I think I am somewhat of an audiophile ;-)

Spotify uses a 320kbs bitrate while not uncompressed, that is pretty high quality. I also have the burmester sound...

I called the dealer they said it should work wired, but I am a little skeptical.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM
simplysql
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spotify over my cell phone thru an aux. in cable sounds much better than the 5,000,000 ads on the built-in radio just about any day of the week.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Give this a try, just got mine for my 997.1 TT it's awesome!!!! I got hands free phone all for $59.00

Satechi Bluetooth Hands-free Car Stereo Fm Transmitter for iPhone 4s, 4, 3Gs, 3, iPod Touch 4G, BlackBerry, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung Galaxy S and Bluetooth Stereo A2DP supported Devices

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
CayenneS2008
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to buy a new head unit for my Cayenne S 2008, however it has a ipod connection. Thinking I could hook up my android phone to this 30 pin plug to play Pandora

I ordered a 3.5mm Audio Jack to iPhone 4S iPod Shuffle Dock 30-Pin Female adapter from e-bay

It works!!!!...sound is awesome, clear and the stock stereo rocks...the controls work on the steering wheel too
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneS2008
I ordered a 3.5mm Audio Jack to iPhone 4S iPod Shuffle Dock 30-Pin Female adapter from e-bay
A what?! 3.5mm audio jack to iDock? Why would anyone buy that? If on end is 3.5mm audio, then thats all you get, so you might as well buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm patch cable and plug the headphone out into the audio in.

Or is this odd thing something entirely different?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM
kvmentor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Give this a try, just got mine for my 997.1 TT it's awesome!!!! I got hands free phone all for $59.00

Satechi Bluetooth Hands-free Car Stereo Fm Transmitter for iPhone 4s, 4, 3Gs, 3, iPod Touch 4G, BlackBerry, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung Galaxy S and Bluetooth Stereo A2DP supported Devices

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Blueto...ywords=satechi
Thanks - this year it is $49

Quick Reply: iPhone Integration