Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car from a snow state?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Heat buildup on air cooled cars, ran cooler with engine tray off!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tks folks
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my take on this.

It is easy enough to check a car PPI to see if it has signs of being driven in abusive winter conditions. If that matters to you, you can reject that vehicle. (it would matter to me. Why buy a car with signs of corrosion ANYWHERE, when there are pristine examples for sale?)

Of greater concern, and almost impossible to check, is the condition of the IMS bearing. I believe that cars that are pent up all winter are at a greater risk of IMS failure. There is some evidence that cars that sit for long periods of time have higher than usual rate of IMSB failure. Now a lot of owners will say "oh no, I always start the car once a week and warm it up a bit to keep things well lubed". Well, those cars may not get a leaking RMS, but I firmly believe this to be a death sentance for the IMS bearing. Getting the engine warmed up enough to condense moisture out of the air in the crankcase but not warm enough (as in driving the car for 10-20 miles) to evaporate that moisture out of the oil and crankcase is a recipe for IMS disaster.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your search if you specify year vs. mileage at a lower than average rate, say no more than 4-5k per year, then theoretically no winter-driven cars should be displayed for a region with winter. For example, a 2009 with around 20k miles would unlikely be a winter driven car. But the same car with 35k would almost had to have been driven in the winter. In florida, it wouldn't matter. In RI, it would be a deal breaker for me. Corrosion, sand/rock chips, I don't want to deal with that.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about buying a car in a snow state.

I live in the heart of cold and snow country and my car has never seen a snow flake.

It typically sits in the garage from the middle of October until the middle of March or April, depending on the snow fall that year.

Even if my car was awd and I drove it in the snow, I would not be concerned about the undercarriage having issues due to be exposed to snow.

These cars are designed, built, and driven hard in Germany. Germany gets a large amount of snow on an annual basis and their weather is horribly cold during the winter months.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hibernation? Don't drive in snow?

I am guessing you won't be buying my DD 09C4S when we part ways. It is a blast to drive in the snow.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many P cars are not driven in the snow...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Many P cars are not driven in the snow...
Yes many arent but they can and should be. Unless you have a "classic" ie 993 or earlier, why would you leave it in the garage all winter? I bought my 2006 C4S specifically so I could drive all year. Couldnt stand having the 993 in the garage all winter.

As far as buying one that has been driven in the winter or in the rain (god forbid), as many have said its a modern engineered car. Anyone seen one falling apart from rust?? If someone else wont buy it because its from the NE then jump on it for the right price. Will be the same car with a couple of slightly rusty bolts underneath (again, the horror!)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mander

I am guessing you won't be buying my DD 09C4S when we part ways. It is a blast to drive in the snow.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd have no hesitation if the car passes a PPI. These are tough cars built to be driven year round.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any 911 that has been driven regularly on the highway during the bad winter months in a snow state will have plenty of stone/salt chips in the paint or bra. It's a dead give away. The first Boxster I bought was second hand from a guy who drove it daily for 3 years in NJ. There must have been over 100 stone chips all over the front. I filled them all in carefully, and it looked okay but clearly the car had spent a lot of time on the highway in the winter.

Be sure to check carefully to see if the hood and/or the front bumper has been resprayed. This will not show up on the carfax.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Skibum
Banned

I'm in a snow salt ice slush crap state.
The person that buys my car will be getting one that has never even seen such things.
A quick look to the underside and exhaust should reveal the extent of undesirable weather driving.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mander

Mander,

I wouldn't touch your car with a ten foot pole.

I once saw your C4S parked at the country club when it was raining outside.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
Any 911 that has been driven regularly on the highway during the bad winter months in a snow state will have plenty of stone/salt chips in the paint or bra. It's a dead give away. The first Boxster I bought was second hand from a guy who drove it daily for 3 years in NJ. There must have been over 100 stone chips all over the front. I filled them all in carefully, and it looked okay but clearly the car had spent a lot of time on the highway in the winter.

Be sure to check carefully to see if the hood and/or the front bumper has been resprayed. This will not show up on the carfax.

Unfortunately, the roads in the NY Metro area seem to be "dirty" with small rocks and gavel left by commerical construction vehicles. And on the bright, sunny summer afternoon, you can drive the LIE or the NJ Turnpike or NE Thruway and be given a gift of a few stone chips. I think the same is true throughout the USA.

As most have said, these cars are very durable and winter weather should not be an issue. Have not seen a 997 rusted out yet.

Mark
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by At Law
Mander,

I wouldn't touch your car with a ten foot pole.

I once saw your C4S parked at the country club when it was raining outside.

Quick Reply: Buying a car from a snow state?