Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler or third radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Or download the PET for .1 and .2, compare, and I suspect the rad, hoses, connectors, and bolts are the same but shroud is different.

Porsche Parts Catalog PET - http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I came across this thread today 'cause we just got back from a Porsche club run up to Lake Arrowhead (Oktoberfest). It was pretty hot, 100 or so thru Riverside to Berdoo and in the 90s going up the mountain. The driving was pretty "spirited" uphill and when we stopped at an intersection in Crestline I noticed my oil temp was around 225 (water temp stayed right at 175). Oil pressure dropped at idle to about 1 bar -- low oil press warning even clicked on for a sec. Plenty of OP once off idle but I was concerned and started searching 997 oil coolers.

Looks like everyone is pointing to a 3rd radiator. Sounds reasonable -- but my water temp was never an issue??? Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeNoah
I came across this thread today 'cause we just got back from a Porsche club run up to Lake Arrowhead (Oktoberfest). It was pretty hot, 100 or so thru Riverside to Berdoo and in the 90s going up the mountain. The driving was pretty "spirited" uphill and when we stopped at an intersection in Crestline I noticed my oil temp was around 225 (water temp stayed right at 175). Oil pressure dropped at idle to about 1 bar -- low oil press warning even clicked on for a sec. Plenty of OP once off idle but I was concerned and started searching 997 oil coolers.

Looks like everyone is pointing to a 3rd radiator. Sounds reasonable -- but my water temp was never an issue??? Any ideas?
I would be more worried about the oil pressure light coming on.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

I am concerned. However, OP light did not come on. There was a message that popped up. It started out something like: "Warning, oil pressure .... " but went off so fast I didn't have time to read the whole message. Never came on again. OP seems normal under regular driving conditions. The warning flashed right after a long twisty uphill when I stopped and engine went to idle. Never saw it again.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have it checked out. The oil pressure light should leave an error code internally.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

The 3rd rad adds cooling capacity which lowers your oil temp... I've noticed a drop of 15degF in oil temp since installing it. Your water temp will/should warm up to and remain at 175degF regardless of the 3rd rad. This is a great value mod. For a few hundred dollars it helps maintain a cooler running engine especially in hot climates and/or spirited driving.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles do you have on the engine? While I don't think you should have worn anything out to cause a drop in oil pressure, I'm just curious.
When was the last time you removed the front nose and cleaned out your rads? The high temps coupled with the hill climb and maybe a semi blocked rad could have pushed things to the high limits. While 225 is on the higher end of where I'd like to see the oil temps, it's not outrageous. If you're going to do more events like that, I'd install the extra rad as cheap insurance. But first make sure your other two are clear and working as designed!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

40,000 on the car. I checked the rads. There were a few leaves but nothing very obstructive. The thing that I found confusing is that the water temp never really went up. Pegged at 175 like always. I'm thinking 3rd radiator just for insurance.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the the temperature issue. I also would get the oil pressure light checked out just to be safe. We actually offer a kit that includes all the parts needed to update your cooling system to the 3-radiator system. For more information Click Here
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that when you look into the grill, you're really seeing the AC condenser coil and not the rad. A lot of small stuff will end up between the two and block things even though you can't see it. I'd personally still recommend pulling the nose.
I haven't done any personal research, but many people say the water temp gauge is highly buffered and the water temp has to be really high before the gauge moves off 175.

Personally, I'd do the 3rd rad - at $250 for Porsche parts, it's maybe the cheapest thing you can do to the car!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Money Pit 951
many people say the water temp gauge is highly buffered and the water temp has to be really high before the gauge moves off 175.
This is true. If you want to see the actual real time water temp you will have to get an OBD scan tool.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3rd radiator kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to install it this week. I bought an Airlift kit to bleed the coolant afterwards.

Here in Houston I can easily get the oil temperature up to 225 and on the track it goes to 250 and that has a negative effect on the oil pressure (drops about 0.5 bar). I'm hoping that the 3rd radiator will help with the track days.

On the subject of the water temperature. Mine sits steady at 175. When my water pump was wearing out I detected it by the needle slowing moving past 175 when stationary in traffic. It would settle back to 175 once I was moving again. I don't know what the actual water temperature was but it does move smoothly past 175 not suddenly jump.

John
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Mr ecs tuning, maybe you can share to us if the 3rd rad system for the 997.1 and 997.2 are the same or almost the same... Are the rad and mounting hardware the same?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I have a 3rd radiator kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to install it this week. I bought an Airlift kit to bleed the coolant afterwards.

Here in Houston I can easily get the oil temperature up to 225 and on the track it goes to 250 and that has a negative effect on the oil pressure (drops about 0.5 bar). I'm hoping that the 3rd radiator will help with the track days.

On the subject of the water temperature. Mine sits steady at 175. When my water pump was wearing out I detected it by the needle slowing moving past 175 when stationary in traffic. It would settle back to 175 once I was moving again. I don't know what the actual water temperature was but it does move smoothly past 175 not suddenly jump.

John
225 was my operating temp(OT) last year before the 3rd rad install... Now I'm sitting at 210 or less and ~250 in 105+ ambient with spirited hill country driving... much better than the 275+ I started seeing during the heat of summer last year before the mod.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mr ecs tuning, maybe you can share to us if the 3rd rad system for the 997.1 and 997.2 are the same or almost the same... Are the rad and mounting hardware the same?
The difference between the 997.1 and the 997.2 is the intake ducting. Depending on the bumper you have additional vents needed to be cut out of the bottom of the bumper, behind the center radiator, or an I183 bumper must be used. The radiator mounting and hardware should be the same.

Quick Reply: oil cooler or third radiator