Sponsored by:

LN bearing service life and/or failures

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
realistically if by now almost everybody accept the fact that this IMS bearing has a limited life span - it has to be a recall campaign similar to what vettes had and factory should pay for labor to split the block and replace this part. it is not an acceptable scenario to have this problem and just wait for a bearinng to fall apart at 70k or 80k miles on a perfectly healthy motor.
exactly. couldn't agree more. the part is clearly flawed and the result is the total loss of an engine (not a small concern). we're not talking about a faulty sunroof or something here. this is a major issue and a failure rate of 1:100 is miserable. i'm just sayin'.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spindle

Indeed, the spindle holds no radial loads. It merely keeps the bearing snug agains the flange.
Here is a good picture that I hijacked from another forum to better illustrate this concept:

Old 09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Here's another issue to consider; at what point do we consider the bearing 'past' the failure stage? It would seem to me, never. Let's say most 997s are still under 60k miles. Will the rate of failure continue to grow (beyond the estimated 0.5-1%) as the cars continue to increase in mileage? I'm currently sitting at 64k miles and certainly do not feel as though I'm past any potential 'failure phase' and good to go from now on. I know most bearings that have been replaced are considered in 'good condition', but is it realistic to say that the failure on this is so comprehensive that a month later that same bearing could have failed? At this point, I'm curious if anyone is seeing a pattern of failures as the mileage continues to rise on our cars. I guess I'm just not one of the 997 owners who can blissfully drive his car not worrying at all if the motor will let go at any moment. Who has a cheap GT3 to sell me???
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be cool is a retrofit kit that lubricates the bearing externally. Apparently, the turbo and the gt3 continuously lubricates this bearing. Sure seems like someone could engineer a system to do this on the standard motors.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm more likely to lose my car due to some soccer mom hitting me while driving and using her cell phone than an IMS failure.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

My basic math from doing internet searches during lunch shows about 200,000 911, boxsters, and caymans made over the years ('98-'08) with the M9x. At 1%, that's 2,000 cars. I realize some more of these boxsters and caymans had the engine past '08 but I gave up looking for sales volumes. Then I screened out the turbos - a little less of 20% of yearly production on average. The 911 M9x count is about half of the production - 95,000ish cars or so.

So, I think we'd see a "camry-like" recall at those 1% numbers .There is little chance you could keep that out of the news. I just don't think 1,000 911s have gone down over this in a 10 year span.

At about a quarter of these levels makes more sense to me - a 1/400 chance, but probably way less... maybe 250 911 cars +/- . Even that still seems to be a bunch. But enough hammering on this

I'm with you on the soccer moms and the texters - I go driving to find the back roads for this reason.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

most of 996 owners imho already did ln retrofit work, at least from looking across 996 forum it is a no-brainer thing everyone does. same applies to any 2005 997 owner imho. if my engine would accept LN Eng bearinng i would get it done when my clutch was replaced last fall. but i have this new design that may not be replaced wihtout having to split the block.
my car had no IMS failure so far, i had other minor issues but so far I have no metal in the oil and IMS seems to be fine.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
What would be cool is a retrofit kit that lubricates the bearing externally.
Here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...n-idea-15.html

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Apparently, the turbo and the gt3 continuously lubricates this bearing. Sure seems like someone could engineer a system to do this on the standard motors.
Not a ball bearing.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Paul what production date did they start using new design bearing?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
it is a tricky question. it used to be a post where somebody wrote down starting engine numbers for both M96 and M97 motors but then this info was imho retracted as it was not consistent. it should be still on this forum archive somewhere if you search for it.
only reliable way is to drop gearbox and inspect IMS assembly, measure the nut there as LN Eng web site describes.

usual 'safe' approach is to assume if car was produced after june 2006 then it will have new bearing. but some late 2005 cars also had motors with updated bearing and some early 2006 cars did not have it, so, it all depends of what motors were put into those cars during assembly.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
vladeden
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently there are many P car owners that have suffered a great monetary loss due to the IMS failures. There are also even more of us with IMS time bomb worries.
I would think that now is the time to address the NPA and force a recall or start a class action suit.

Any competent attorneys here looking for a challenge ??
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Luxter
Pro

Default Engine #

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
It is actually engine number that determines that.
Engine number 685 09 791 and above have larger, non serviceable IMS bearing with 22mm nut on the spindle, according to Porsche Service Manual.
Your engine # is etched on bottom driver side oil pan.
That equates to about March - April 2005 production date IIRC.
So, in fact most (except early 2005 production run) of 997.1's have larger, non serviceable bearings installed.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just to clarify some of the misinformation on the IMS bearing. It is a sealed self-lubricated bearing and does not fail due to contaminated/improper lubrication or insufficient lubrication. It is similar to a wheel bearing that goes hundreds of thousands of miles without a failure. Bearings don’t magically go bad; rather, something must cause the failure. In the IMS case when the stud on the end of the IMS shaft is missing the IMS bearing acts as a centering device for the shaft and the bearing takes on lateral loads it is not designed to handle. Eventually the seal on the IMS bearing fails and its lubrication is lost. Now the bearing must rely on external lubrication to function properly. Seals have to fail before the lubrication of the bearing is an issue and something has to cause the seals to go bad.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
It is similar to a wheel bearing that goes hundreds of thousands of miles without a failure.
on a heavily tracked car it takes 3-4 seasons to kill wheel bearings, BTW.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Just to clarify some of the misinformation on the IMS bearing. It is a sealed self-lubricated bearing and does not fail due to contaminated/improper lubrication or insufficient lubrication. It is similar to a wheel bearing that goes hundreds of thousands of miles without a failure. Bearings don’t magically go bad; rather, something must cause the failure. In the IMS case when the stud on the end of the IMS shaft is missing the IMS bearing acts as a centering device for the shaft and the bearing takes on lateral loads it is not designed to handle. Eventually the seal on the IMS bearing fails and its lubrication is lost. Now the bearing must rely on external lubrication to function properly. Seals have to fail before the lubrication of the bearing is an issue and something has to cause the seals to go bad.
I think all the pro shops that are making a living off the IMS issue would disagree with what you've posted. Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you pull rabbits out of a hat also?

Quick Reply: LN bearing service life and/or failures