Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on these Rims? Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
SLP
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on these Rims? Opinions!

So I have a 2009 C2 Black. It has the stock 18" lobster fork type rims.

I want a set of rims, 19"s on it. What do you guys think of these? And the two different kinds on the black car. Theyre replicas of the Turbo II's.

Also, I know the new Carreras come with 20" options from the factory. Can you put 20 on these? Would you?
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lobster Forks are 19"...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
82_930
Pro

Being that your car is black, I would get the second ones
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
82_930
Pro

Also, I would be interested in your Lobster Forks
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has the first wheel on his 2012 Black Edition 911. I think it looks better than it would with the black painted wheel. It's pretty awesome looking- dark without being too much black. I think gunmetal wheels look great with black cars. Especially with some silver, either a lip or faces of the spokes.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

If I'm wrong please correct me, but I'm almost certain these are Chinese made knock-offs of Porsche wheels. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but under no circumstances would I put a cheap wheel on my Porsche that did not meet OEM standards for quality and strength. Just so you know what you're getting into. Caveat emptor.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Ditto on the knockoffs. If you're paying less than $750 a corner then you are getting something that may wind up being a nightmare for you in the immediate future. Don't go cheap here as they will truly become the weakest part of your car--and as a casting, they break fairly easily.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

same on the knock offs rims. They bend really easily. There's so much crap on ebay these days. If you want OEM just check out the forums and make sure the wheels have a P part #. A good used set can be had at reasonable prices. BTW the Turbo Wheels are for the WB cars and not the NBs. GL
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't go Porsche OEM, I'd stick with reputable aftermarket wheel manufacturers with a reputation and warranty you can count on. Ebay is fine for some parts, but a critical rolling component could be a dodgy bet. You might get a fine set of wheels, but if one snaps or folds on you it could be really expensive to repair whatever damage gets done elsewhere on the vehicle.

There are a LOT of aftermarket wheel companies around making very nice solid wheels. There is also a huge secondary market for these wheels as many folks change wheels often. Keep looking at the Rlist classifieds and other Pcar forum classified sites.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think these wheels would be fine for style'n smile'n and profile'n but for performance....20" Wheels not so much.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If I'm wrong please correct me, but I'm almost certain these are Chinese made knock-offs of Porsche wheels. I don't mean to sound like a snob
It doesn't warrant being apologistic. It's neither snobbery nor racism. The Chinese have brought their reputation upon themselves. It's not their intelligence or capability that trails ours, it's that their ethics is quite different.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Not to mention those look really heavy. Fewer spokes = greater lever arm = greater bending forces = more metal and more weight. IMHO, functional is beautiful on these cars- if you're going to put wheels on your high performance sports car, they should be racing wheels! Ditto with the size; pneumatic rubber tires of reasonable aspect ratio are lighter than metal wheels and actually handle better than low-aspect tires on giant wheels, so you're best going with the smallest diameter wheel possible. EG, if you don't like what you have now, or especially if you want an extra set for track tires, get new 18" wheels, not 20".

There's nothing wrong with aftermarket non-Porsche-stamped wheels, just make sure what you're buying is high quality and a good wheel for your applications. Do beware that some ultra-lightweight racing wheels are prone to damage when driven on the street and subjected to potholes, etc.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

For what it is worth, I have purchased a couple of sets of replica wheels over the years and put many thousands of miles on them. Never had a problem. Looked perfect, performed perfect. I can't vouch for these specific wheels. But they look great.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
It doesn't warrant being apologistic. It's neither snobbery nor racism. The Chinese have brought their reputation upon themselves. It's not their intelligence or capability that trails ours, it's that their ethics is quite different.
I wasn't apologizing for singling out the Chinese as manufacturers of those wheels and I agree that their reputation for poor quality products is often well deserved. Personally, I wouldn't put any wheel on my Porsche that didn't meet the highest OEM standards regardless of where they were made, but I know some others don't feel the same, so I was trying not to come across too strongly.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

based on my experience, i would agree with most here that you have a branded car why put unbranded wheels which could endanger your car and most specially you. yes there might have been some aftermarket wheels that were able to work for some but remember we subject our porsches to more than the usual stresses. because the car is able to handle these stresses beautifully hence the smiles. why put a weak link? there really is a good second market for branded wheels out there. one just has to have patience and you will get what you want.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these Rims? Opinions!