Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door/window microswitch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door/window microswitch problem?

Hello All,

This is my first post here, having newly acquired a 2005 C2 in Atlas Gray with 33,000 miles. I have previously owned an Audi RS4 and an E60 M5, but this P-car is another thing alltogether!

Now, there seems to be one problem... Intermittently, the driver's side window will go down 1/2 inch as though the car thinks the door is going to open. I know that there are several microswitches that control this function, and I have found what might be the problem... Underneath the door handle there should be a spring loaded plunger, which is actuated by a boss on the handle itself. The plunger on my door seems to be missing! Can I conclude that this is the problem? If so, can I replace this part easily, or is it best left to the dealer or wise mechanic? Can I get the part(s) online?

Thank you!

Pete
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked on my '05 and can't seem to see what you're talking about in terms of a plunger. Is there one on your passenger-side door? If you're sure there's a part missing, then it would seem your course is clear.

Somewhere in the foggy recesses of my memory I seem to recall there's a re-set/re-boot routine for the windows that involves mere button presses. If you can search for it, it might be worth a try.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Have the door surround trim pieces on your car been upgraded or replaced?

When I replaced mine, the location of the door handle spring mechanism can be affected by the way new door handle surround trim has been attached to the door panel. The issue you describe is similar to what happened to me after I changed the trim. Once I realized what had happened, I was able to remove the door panel again, and properly sit the spring mechanism, insuring that I had good contact between the door handle and the window actuator.

Bottom line, if the trim pieces were upgraded or changed at some time, that would be my starting point for chasing down the cause.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I don't think the plunger could be missing if it's only malfunctioning intermittently. Could just be that the window actuator is not properly seated inside the door panel.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! The problem is only intermittent - so I think you may be right that something behind the door panel is loose. There is a visible spring loaded plunger on the passenger side, and just a corresponding hole on the driver 's side, which makes me think some important part of the switchgear is loose or missing on the driver's side. This was especially disconcerting in a rainstorm last night; I parked the car in a parking lot in the pouring rain, and the window failed to re-seat when I closed the door. I had to stand there fiddling with it in the rain until it finally complied and sealed the doorframe. Wierd!

I've seen a DIY on taking the door panel off (Renntech), but I have a sinking suspicion that I will screw something up if I attempt it. Think I may buck up and take it to a dealer, 'specially now that my trunk release switch is now proken, too !

Thanks again!

Pete

Quick Reply: Door/window microswitch problem?