Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas what new Sport Design 19" NB wheels are worth? New PS2s on them.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not true! u can powdercoat for pretty cheap if you find a good shop.
i have had sets of forged wheels that i would powdercoat different color every time i changed tires.
since the tired were off anyway that cost is not considered, so depending on color ive done full set of wheels for under 200 bux.
i contact the same company recently to get a quote for gloss gunmetal and they quote around 80bux a wheel, I was told some colors need a second gloss coat.
it also helps having a 2nd set of spare wheels
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Call Dave at Wheel Enhancement - they are pros and can do it for you or recommend someone.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
i was told you cant leave a silver lip on those like this as there is no distinct "lip"
I so want them in black oem finished :-)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the silver lip. I have to believe it is a hard thing to do right, since the seam will look somewhat uneven if it is taped off for the powder coat job... Right?

Anyone know? Maybe there is a different way to do it, other than tape.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
I like the silver lip. I have to believe it is a hard thing to do right, since the seam will look somewhat uneven if it is taped off for the powder coat job... Right?

Anyone know? Maybe there is a different way to do it, other than tape.
I saw a video once from a custom wheel manufacture who had pinstripes applied by hand with a small paint brush but that was not just the outer lip it was in between so there would be black on both sides of the strip. The oem once are painted by a machine that applies both colors a the same time. apparently there is only 2 machines in the world that do that and they are in Europe. You cant even order them like that, only with the car. Have you considered the bbs - ch-r they look sweat and have that look

BTW: here the picture that made me want them

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Those are awesome. Man, I want those wheels on my car.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

I want those on my car. I guess that's just a painted silver strip on the lip? The stripe is what makes the wheel. Thanks for the pic!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

yes its painted, as mentioned, the machine puts on both colors at the same time. found them once in uk on ebay for wb and was considering to put them on my nb but people were concerned it would look to aggressive and i like it subtle.

actually the biggest problem is that now 3 people want them, so if one goes on sale we end up in a bidding war :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 AM
raffi
Pro

any shop can paint those with stripe or however, i had my powdercoater mask lip so i kept lips polished, second time i powdercoat whole wheel gnmetal and i did a red pinstripe with sticker which i didnt like so i kept gnmetal
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Thanks for the pics. Those wheels look really nice. I think that a silver lip is going to be a must on my wheel job since my car is black. Otherwise it's going to be just too much... Also, I have sand beige interior and I feel like black wheels on a black car should have a black interior too- especially on a cabriolet that spends 95% of the time with the top down. Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
raffi
Pro

if you are gonna keep your wheels just do exactly like the pic above from jonas, silver lip makes the wheels look bigger, take that pic to the wheel shop and tell em thats what you want. those were always my favorite oem wheels, of course the offsets are still not that great so if you wanna get spacers that might be a good idea too. 15mm all around
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

I thought 15mm spacers would be too aggressive with a narrow body 57/67 offset. My dad's 997.2 Black Edition came stock with 5mm spacers on the Turbo II wheels, but I can't see where 5mm does much- seems hardly worth the expense.

I've already saved the pic to my computer. I think that's a beautiful car.... I think mine is too, though....
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
raffi
Pro

i think your car looks fine too from the avatar, it might be a good idea to just try spacers first, thats what i did with my new car until i finally got bored of that look and got new wheels, they are satin black champions.
i dunno if you are a diy person but another idea is pasti dip, its very easy and totally reversible, also very cheap.
you can spray ur wheels and use it like that til you get bored then peel/wash it off.
this guy in my parking lot did this to his g37 infiniti wheels and it looks same as my painted wheels
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Black wheels look awesome on light color 911s. You're car looks great! Thanks for all of your input.. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check out Figs out of Manassas if you go the powder coating route. I'm guessing they aren't the cheapest in the area but they have a good rep.

If you go the aftermarket wheel route I may be interested in picking up your wheels. I recently switched out my summer wheel setup for a set of Volk TE-37's in Bronze and really like the look.

Quick Reply: Any ideas what new Sport Design 19" NB wheels are worth? New PS2s on them.