Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light after ssk install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012 | 09:01 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Default Airbag warning light after ssk install

I finally finished installing oem ssk just now. It wasn't easy but with help of diy posts in this forum, I managed to get it done. I drove the car around the block to test it out and it's wonderful. However, I noticed that the airbag warning light was on when I started the engine. I removed side knee bolsters to make sure the connector for wire bundle was not disconnected and it was fine. I can't think of anything that I did wrong to cause this warning light to be on. Has anyone had same issue after ssk installation? Could anyone help me with this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2012 | 09:52 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Yes...that little effen airbag light can be a nascence. You'll need to get it reset at the dealer. If you had your doors open for a long time with the lights on an it ran you battery down past (I think) 12.6 volts that damn light can come on.
Old 08-29-2012 | 10:04 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

if you have a good relationship with an indy (or maybe a stealership) they might do it for free. but unfortunately they might rape you for an hour's worth of labor for what is a simply 2 minute fix.

OR...find someone with a durametric pro. like me. i work/live in MD, in the gaithersburg/germantown area - if you want to cross the bridge, i can do it for free. i had to clear mine also after removing ctr console for shift cable replacement. FYI, i will be at the VIR DE this weekend if you are also going...
Old 08-29-2012 | 10:38 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
if you have a good relationship with an indy (or maybe a stealership) they might do it for free. but unfortunately they might rape you for an hour's worth of labor for what is a simply 2 minute fix.

OR...find someone with a durametric pro. like me. i work/live in MD, in the gaithersburg/germantown area - if you want to cross the bridge, i can do it for free. i had to clear mine also after removing ctr console for shift cable replacement. FYI, i will be at the VIR DE this weekend if you are also going...
As much as I'd like to attend the DE this weekend, I am not qualified to sign up for DE yet since I only have one autox experience under my belt. I am going to sign up for HPDC in September and I am very excited about that event.
I really appreciate your offer for resetting the light and I might take up on your offer. I will pm you sometime next wk. Thanks again. Have fun at DE.
Old 08-29-2012 | 11:59 AM
Rocco07
Racer

I don't know what may have caused it to come on. But, I've learned to NEVER turn your car on if you disconnect anything electrical. The way these circuits are monitored, you never know what warning light might illuminate.
Do you remember turning the key at all while the console wiring was disconnected?
Old 08-29-2012 | 12:13 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocco07
I don't know what may have caused it to come on. But, I've learned to NEVER turn your car on if you disconnect anything electrical. The way these circuits are monitored, you never know what warning light might illuminate.
Do you remember turning the key at all while the console wiring was disconnected?
Yes, I do remember. This ssk swap took 3 days for me to finish. I did the work outside and I had to move the car back into my garage when it got dark and started to rain. Yeah, the center console was removed and the wire bundle was disconnected at that time. I didn't know any better.
Old 08-29-2012 | 12:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Exactly. In fact, some circuits "wake up" as soon as the key is inserted in the ignition, without even being turned on, resulting in the same problem. I learned this on my 996 when I unplugged and removed the driver's seat to install GT3 buckets just with the key in the switch. To be safe, the key should be out completely when doing electrical work.
Old 08-29-2012 | 01:24 PM
Rocco07
Racer

I learned this on an E46 M3.
It sounds like a reset is all you need.
Old 08-29-2012 | 01:34 PM
Skibum
Banned

Can a code such as this be reset using a standard OBDII reader or is a Porsche specific tool required?
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:22 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

I learned this on an E46 M3.
It sounds like a reset is all you need.
def simple, but unfortunately without a durametric, you are at the mercy of a stealership or an indy, some of which who want to rape you an hour of $ for a 5min job.

Originally Posted by Skibum
Can a code such as this be reset using a standard OBDII reader or is a Porsche specific tool required?
AFAIK, the durametric pro is the only consumer tool that can do it. the durametric enthusiast cannot.
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:32 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Considering the liability associated with airbags, it's no surprise a dealer or Indy trip is mandated to have this reset. It's a lifesaving system and can't have just anybody resetting faults.
We may know what most likely caused it. But coincidentally, could something actually be wrong with the system? I wouldn't want to find out the hard way it won't work when needed.

Brian
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:37 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Considering the liability associated with airbags, it's no surprise a dealer or Indy trip is mandated to have this reset. It's a lifesaving system and can't have just anybody resetting faults.
We may know what most likely caused it. But coincidentally, could something actually be wrong with the system? I wouldn't want to find out the hard way it won't work when needed.

Brian
duly noted, but as opposed to what, someone working on their own brakes? their fuel system? their engine? torquing their own centerlocks which, accroding to some forums, have the tendency to fly off at speed?? c'mon, let's face it, there are TONS of things the average idiot (yes, of which i am one) can screw up on a car with catastrophic consequences that dont mandate a trip to the dealer. not trying to start a war, just sayin.
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:47 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Spiff,
Agree. But my point was more to the availability of tools for the "average idiot" to use on reseting the light. You yourself said there was only one "consumer" tool. I was merely trying to rationalize why that may be.
Plus the airbag is designed to save your life after you've unsufficiently torqued your centerlock. You're already in trouble when your relying on it. Perhaps airbags were invented initially just for us do-it-yourself guys

Brian

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light after ssk install