Sponsored by:

adding oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 AM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default adding oil

Hey guys I have a targa 4s 2007 , i had it since April , I got with with 35000km and I put 12000km already , but is it normal to add oil ( half a liter ) every 750km to 1000km , it's 6 speed with x51 and I drive it hard everyday , is this normal ????
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no, I bought my '06 c4 in may and did not need to add a drop, nor to my '01 c4 which I got for the woman last Nov
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Farside
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its normal. i have a c4s which uses the same quantity as yours. Had the engin scoped and cylinders were clean. All other parameters were checked and no issue found. Some just use more than others. This usage is still below the allowed amount of 1.5l/1000km.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow thanks , now I feel better , I was always a BMW guy , I had the same issue with all M cars that I had , but not every 1000km
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil?

My 2005 C2S was using some (less than yours) oil when I ran Mobil 1 0W-40.
After I switched to Motul X-Cess my consumption over almost 4,500 summer driving miles (almost 8,000 kms) dropped to zero. In any case, the electronic oil level gauge did not indicate any drop from maximum level from March to August measured every morning in practically identical conditions with cold engine.
I change oil on 5,000 mile interval max.

One note, driving hard is OK as long as you warm up your engine properly.
Make sure your oil temp is at 90*C before going hard and cool it down after a hard drive.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by hazmanT4s
Wow thanks , now I feel better , I was always a BMW guy , I had the same issue with all M cars that I had , but not every 1000km
The engine's oil consumption is towards the heavier end of the consumption range but it is still within the acceptable range.

I note you drive the car hard and this certainly can increase oil consumption.

You might help cut oil consumption by following a more frequent oil/filter service schedule.

If the oil is left in service too long it can get contaminated with water and unburned gasoline.

This lowers the oil's viscosity and this might lead to higher consumption, if the oil that is being consumed is making in into the engine past say the rings.

I do not believe the majority of the oil burned by these engines burn oil from that source.

My suspicion is the oil makes it into the engine via the lousy AOS.

In say your car's case high rpms coupled with contaminated oil results in a larger amount of oil vapor in the crankcase which the AOS is unable to deal with and crankcase fumes ladened with oil vapor are routed to the engine's intake where the fumes (and oil vapor) are burned. You will not see any signs of this oil burning in the exhaust but oil consumption will be higher than it would be with fresher oil in the engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just added 3/4 quart to my 06 C2S. I"ve had the car for almost 3 years and this is the first time I've added oil. I also had a 996 which rarely had to be topped off. I've read the many posts about cars that burn a quart every 1000 miles, but it has not happened to me. When I bought the car there was a post about a good deal on Amazon for Mobil 1 0W-40, today I cracked open the first quart.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acceptable general rules is: one quart of oil for 1,000 mile, or less.

I have had cars that never needed a top off between oil changes, very few ever did. In my experience it is a function of proper break-in, a properly broken-in car consumes less or no oil.

Also, for a cold start, allowing the car to idle for less than a minute and driving slowly for the next 5 minutes for proper warm up reduces oil consumption as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Verde
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, a lot depends on your driving patterns. If you have a lot of engine starts, you'll burn more oil than longer distance driving. This pattern is a result of the boxer (pistons run parallel to the ground) motor which allows cylinder oil to drain down to the lower side of the cylinder (instead of back in to the case) and blow out at startup. Just the nature of the beast.
Yours in on the high side but quite acceptable. Also, the car will vary it's behavior over time (mine did). Not sure if it was driving habits or engine further breaking in but it uses less oil now (45K miles for a 2005 C2S Cab) than ever.
V
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your usage is normal and well with in Porsche spec for these cars. My C4S's oil consumption is very much like yours and car is driven in a spirited manner any time conditions allow it. It is not a commuter.

Quick Reply: adding oil