Sponsored by:

997.1 PSE Exhaust Problem: Broken Valve/Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 PSE Exhaust Problem: Broken Valve/Solenoid

Am hoping the collective knowledge of Rennlist can help provide some advice to me on a problem my beloved '07 C2S has developed recently:

About 5 days ago, I started hearing a slight rattle in the driver's rear of the car upon startup. The noise sounded like something had popped loose in/near the exhaust, as it would rattle slightly at startup, and only on one side of the car. At first, I thought that perhaps it was a broken/loose exhaust hanger/hook, as that appears to be a common problem. However, after 5 days of this happening, all of a sudden, the rattle is gone, however, the PSE sounds as though it is stuck in "sport"/"loud" mode.

I took the car in to get it looked at, and the techs there said that it was probably a broken solenoid/valve. This would explain why the exhaust seems to be permanently stuck on the "loud" setting, however, I don't understand what this has to do with the rattling I heard before. Anyone have this happen to them? Also, how much does it cost to replace a PSE exhaust solenoid/valve? For the life of me I can't find the part/part # anywhere online....

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by Charolastra; 08-22-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Rocco07
Racer

"probably a broken solenoid/valve"
Giving techs too much detail can sometime work against you because they make assumptions without actually testing anything.
Did they check for power to the solenoids?
Did they check the actual position of the valve? Sometimes, and external part of the valve can give a clue to it's position.
If only one valve is at fault, one could deduce it's not an electrical circuit common to both valves.
Sometimes, a random noise may have nothing to do with another problem. it could be just a coincidence.
But, have you tried lighty tapping on the stuck valve? If it begins to function properly then it does need to be replaced or it will eventually fail again.
I'm not an expert in PSE, but the fundamentals of troubleshooting still apply. GL.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocco07
"probably a broken solenoid/valve"
Giving techs too much detail can sometime work against you because they make assumptions without actually testing anything.
Did they check for power to the solenoids?
Did they check the actual position of the valve? Sometimes, and external part of the valve can give a clue to it's position.
If only one valve is at fault, one could deduce it's not an electrical circuit common to both valves.
Sometimes, a random noise may have nothing to do with another problem. it could be just a coincidence.
But, have you tried lighty tapping on the stuck valve? If it begins to function properly then it does need to be replaced or it will eventually fail again.
I'm not an expert in PSE, but the fundamentals of troubleshooting still apply. GL.
Rocco,

Many thanks for the detailed and informative reply! Rest assured, I didn't tell the techs what I thought, rather, I simply asked them to diagnose, and this is what they came back with.

How do I check if power is still getting to the solenoids? Also, I have no idea where the PSE valves are. Is it visible w/o putting the car on a lift (or jacking it up)? Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined. Would love to hear that this is as simple a problem as a jammed/stuck valve....

Appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction here!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same question on the part numbers for the solenoid and valves. The parts diagrams are no where to be found, including the PET diagrams, which I have.

The valves are vacuum actuated, one on each side, located just prior to entering into the center muffler. The flaps inside the exhaust pipe seem to be part of the exhaust system, but the vacuum actuated valves appear to be replaceable (?).

There is only one solenoid, located in the engine compartment. If you search, there are pictures in the forum that show how to unplug the electrical connection on the solenoid to keep the valves open all the time, rather than actuated by the SPORT button (in the GT3).

I did a vacuum test and one valve is definitely bad. The other one works normally. I also tested the solenoid and it is not working. Again, I have also not been able to find a parts list for these two items.

Mike
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't believe that the solenoids have their own part numbers, but I could be wrong. If that is the case though, you'll have to buy a new PSE muffler. Or perhaps having an exhaust shop attach a new solenoid (should you be able to source one) is an option.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

As an aside, does anybody know if the solenoids can be maintained in some way? Spray them with lubricant or something? This isn't the first time I've heard of them giving up.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

The vacuum canisters may be replaceable, but if the dealer does not have them in the PET system, they arent.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As clarification, there is one solenoid in the engine compartment that is activated electrically through the SPORT button and controls the vacuum signal to the 2 valves that control the internal flaps in the exhaust.

I suspect that many PSE systems are not working without the owners knowledge. I "thought" mine was working but never could tell a difference when on or off. Once I did a troubleshooting exercise, it was clear that it was not working (bad solenoid and one valve). I disconnected the vacuum lines to both valves to keep them open all the time and it sounds GREAT. They sit very low and it is apparent that my one bad valve has hit the pavement at some point, which is probably what damaged it. I think this is a common issue with these low cars (GT3's at least).

Mike
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Update:

Problem fixed. The part I needed was the Vacuum Accuator (#99711168000). That was what had gone bad. Here's the link to the part on pelicanparts.com (as well as the diagram).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...CCUATOR%20UNIT

Additionally, these two correlative parts were also needed: Elect Changeover Valve (#99660512301), and a hose clamp (#99951236102).

Where things got expensive, however, was that my shop charged me for 4 hrs. of labor to fix this issue. I doubt it really took 4 hrs. to do this work, however, since I am worthless with wrenches, I "gotta pay to play". C'est la vie. What really burns me about this fix is that the only purpose of the valve is to toggle between the PSE's "quiet" and "loud" setting; the valve being broken simply means my PSE is stuck on the "loud" setting (which, in hindsight, is definitely not that big of a deal).

Hope this helps!

As an aside, if anyone in the Washington DC area who is technically savvy with the 997.1 is doing any work on their car and needs a free hand, please PM me and let me know! I'd love to provide some free labor (and beer) in exchange for some knowledge transfer!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Zbph10
Intermediate

4 hours is pretty close, it took me all of 4-5 hours to replace one on my car. Major PIA but the next one will go much quicker now that I've done it once.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Zbph10
Intermediate

Oh and installed the bracket bolts back in upside down so I don't have to completely remove the darn brackets to remove the muffler next time.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Cocca
Intermediate

I know I'm a little late to the post - by about a year and a half..............but, how about the cost for the dealer doing the work? How much fellas? I have the same issue on one side of my exhaust.

While I'm thinking about it, it looks like one side is stuck open and the other will not open. Anybody run into this issue???
Thx.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Steiner240
Rennlist Member

Default PSE problems

Hello, I live in Chevy Chase and am having problems with the PSE on my c4s. It seems like it is stuck open but the button does light up. Did you have someone fix yours or do you know where I could go besides the dealer?
Thanks
Mike

Problem fixed. The part I needed was the Vacuum Accuator (#99711168000). That was what had gone bad. Here's the link to the part on pelicanparts.com (as well as the diagram).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...CCUATOR%20UNIT

Additionally, these two correlative parts were also needed: Elect Changeover Valve (#99660512301), and a hose clamp (#99951236102).

Where things got expensive, however, was that my shop charged me for 4 hrs. of labor to fix this issue. I doubt it really took 4 hrs. to do this work, however, since I am worthless with wrenches, I "gotta pay to play". C'est la vie. What really burns me about this fix is that the only purpose of the valve is to toggle between the PSE's "quiet" and "loud" setting; the valve being broken simply means my PSE is stuck on the "loud" setting (which, in hindsight, is definitely not that big of a deal).

Hope this helps!

As an aside, if anyone in the Washington DC area who is technically savvy with the 997.1 is doing any work on their car and needs a free hand, please PM me and let me know! I'd love to provide some free labor (and beer) in exchange for some knowledge transfer![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 997.1 PSE Exhaust Problem: Broken Valve/Solenoid