Sponsored by:

Unable to service Porsche Carrera customers outside of our market area

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My local dealer tells me the 997.2 is still in high demand. The 991 and Boxster are still scarce so I can see why dealers are confident about selling the car locally - which is always better for them.
in many aspects it is better for you too to have relations with a good local dealer. just make sure first with local owners if you will use this particular dealer in the future for service and warranty work.

in many delaerships you will get better loaner vehicles if you bought a car from them, it may be useful.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

"It gets complicated. For instance my info is when the new models arrive the leftovers from the previous year become one year old. The factory (or PCNA in this case) can refund some of the dealer's cost of the car to the dealer to help the dealer offer the car at a lower price to help the dealer move the older car to make room for the newer cars.

But a dealer is AFIAK under no obligation to pass this savings on to the customer. Thus some dealers like to roll the dice and get the refund/rebate and yet hold out for a new car price even though the car is now one year old and has suffered some depreciation in spite of the car being new. Of course this depreciation will be downplayed, not even mentioned. The car is "new" and that's that.[/QUOTE]

Excellent remark and a very helpful post. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Last 2 guys nailed it.

Being in sales myself, one I don't (can't really) ***** out product in someone else's territory. I am required to hold great margin. Now I do sell out of territory a lot actually, but they pay more for it as a rule.

Secondly, from a dealer perspective if you only have a limited number of cars to sell, ideally you want to deliver all of them locally because the chance for Service work, Parts sales, and trade-in goes up considerably. There is likely more margin in a lifetime of maintenance than the GP on the new car purchase.
These are interesting points.

I don't think that dealerships (sold?) by PCNA are intrinsically territories. I wonder if PCNA tried to enforce something akin to territories if it would be considered a restriction of trade / anti-competition by independent franchisees? I suspect, however, that PCNA's legal team have considered this.

The second point, dealers wanting to deliver locally, is a tricky dance. Considering all the various incentives, not to mention extra allocations for more cars sold plus, perhaps better terms if you are a Premier Dealer, it might be a tough call on how many out of market cars you'd want to move in order to maximize profits. Just because it's ECON 101 doesn't mean that it is a simple calculation.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Good idea. If my direct emails do not produce results I will follow your suggestion.
Thank you.
Both of the recent threads with dealer dissatisfaction issues began and ended with the same method...e mails.
What ever happened to a phone call ?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Both of the recent threads with dealer dissatisfaction issues began and ended with the same method...e mails.
What ever happened to a phone call ?
After the email I received from the out of state dealer I would not call him, not because I am taking it personal, but because it would inevitably harm the negotiation process to my disadvantage. I am sure that if they eventually don't sell the car locally, they will email me and tell me an excuse about overriding their current policy
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I have never seen or heard of such a response! Granted, I have only purchased two Porsches out-of-state, but that seems ridiculous if not downright stupid.

Either the dealer didn't want to sell the car, or it was some automated response created to drive away customers. Maybe it was a Porsche museum and not a dealer in the business of selling cars?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Based on the original post of the dealers response, it would seem that they would not sell you the car if you flew in with a pocketful of cash and offered list if you were not from their "local area". I find that unimaginable.

I understand they might not want to price their car via email, but I suspect the car could be bought if you make the offer they want no matter where you are.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

When I was searching for my car last year I had a salesman at an out of state p-dealership tell me that he could(would) not discuss price until I flew out to test drive the car 1st.

I looked up/googled the GM and Sales manager. Email the sale manager and ask if that's the policy of their p-dealership/GM. I received an immediate responses from the sales manager who worked with me from that point on. I actually ended up finding a better car at a different dealership but I agree with others that you need to get past the salesman. GLW the search.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
When I was searching for my car last year I had a salesman at an out of state p-dealership tell me that he could(would) not discuss price until I flew out to test drive the car 1st.

I looked up/googled the GM and Sales manager. Email the sale manager and ask if that's the policy of their p-dealership/GM. I received an immediate responses from the sales manager who worked with me from that point on. I actually ended up finding a better car at a different dealership but I agree with others that you need to get past the salesman. GLW the search.
Good strategy. I'm on it. Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

There are too many dealers out there who will be happy to take your out of state $$$. Move on. This guy is fat and happy.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Dealer isn't going to deal with you unless they know you're serious. What kind of response were you expecting? It takes very little effort to send an e-mail to every advertised car you see on the internet. Dealer knows that's what most buyers do when they're on the hunt, and is rightfully unwilling to go out of their way, at least until they at least get a serious inquiry about the car.

Can't really expect them to personally address and try to make a deal out of each and every e-mail out they receive daily. Its an unrealistic waste of time and energy, similarly to how some people are ignored or not offered test drives at the dealership - the dealer can tell who their buyers are. That's their business.

OP, the response you received wasn't very pleasant, but are you looking to buy a car, or exchange courteous e-mails? Dealer certainly isn't interested in the latter - it makes them no money.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Exactly.
Let's face it, the national pastime for kids (and adults) is trolling the net.
Ebay and online ads and dealer sites allow playing make-believe with their dream cars.
The option to "inquire" is free and I can only guess how many inquiries are just people having fun, with certainly no intention or ability to buy the car.
When I was a kid, we'd amuse ourselves by filling out the map request cards that gas stations all offered, and waiting for the packets of free road maps that would show up in our mailboxes.

If you are interested in a car, take the time to show the dealer that you are for real.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I believe PCNA uses local deliveries as a part of their calculations for 'Premier Dealer' status. That might be an issue in wanting to sell more product locally.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought out of state from a dealer. They were more than happy to : video the car and even apple FaceTime with me as we went through the car for an hour, run the DME with results the same day, give me the maint records and CPO report, set up a PPI and work the price before I drove to exchange money. We even went over the scheduled maintenance and they did all of the items to bring the car current and then some before I got there.

Find a better dealer who wants to earn a sale. You have no time to suffer fools.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by BED997
I bought out of state from a dealer. They were more than happy to : video the car and even apple FaceTime with me as we went through the car for an hour, run the DME with results the same day, give me the maint records and CPO report, set up a PPI and work the price before I drove to exchange money. We even went over the scheduled maintenance and they did all of the items to bring the car current and then some before I got there.

Find a better dealer who wants to earn a sale. You have no time to suffer fools.
Excelent post and advice. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Unable to service Porsche Carrera customers outside of our market area