Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Buyer: Exepected Maintenance Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 415 Posts

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I too will be a first time buyer and have similar concerns as the OP.

What kind of increased maintenance issues (costs) can be associated with the '4' (all wheel drive) models and/or the 'S' models OVER the standard C2 models? Is there any significantly greater maintenance issues or problems associated with 4 or S or 4S models?

Also, I realize the IMS bearing issue goes away after 2008 models, but what can be done to the <2008 models to mitigate any potential problems with the IMS bearings? Any particular years of the 997 to try and avoid on the used market?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Here's a recent data point for those interested. I just turned 86,000 miles and had the following things done:

New Bridgestones all around, Roadforce balanced.
Brake fluid flush (5 points)
New plugs and coils
New replacement front chin spoiler (that tiny rubber one)
4-wheel alignment
Reset of the dura metric system

Total cost: $2102.00

Prior to that my largest expenses has always been rubber. With PCCBs brake maintenance is virtually nil. I elected to have the plugs replaced although I never threw a code with my original factory ones. It just seemed like time.

If you are serious about a car have them put it on a rack and look at it. Particularly, look at the front end. You'll get an idea of what kind of driver owned it. (I'm talking about looking at the bottom of the car mind you). These cars are low and some drivers are slow to catch on that you need to be cautious with them on ramps, etc.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I too will be a first time buyer and have similar concerns as the OP.

What kind of increased maintenance issues (costs) can be associated with the '4' (all wheel drive) models and/or the 'S' models OVER the standard C2 models? Is there any significantly greater maintenance issues or problems associated with 4 or S or 4S models?

Also, I realize the IMS bearing issue goes away after 2008 models, but what can be done to the <2008 models to mitigate any potential problems with the IMS bearings? Any particular years of the 997 to try and avoid on the used market?
Some will argue the IMS "issue" went away when Porsche introduced the larger IMS bearing in late 2005 (some late production 2005 models have it). Others say you need to get into a 2009 (997.2) which is when Porsche introduced a re-designed engine that eliminated the IMS bearing altogether. I own a 2006 C4S -- one with the larger IMS bearing -- and I don't lose any sleep over it. I take care of my car and change the oil frequently. If the inevitable happens, then I have extremely bad luck.

As far as extra maintenance costs on the AWD models, the only thing you have extra to worry about is the front final drive (front differential) which requires a fluid change at the same interval as the manual gearbox. Porsche calls for this service every 12 years or 120K miles, although I personally don't recommend going that long. Nevertheless, this service is what I would consider minor and is not a big deal at all (I've been quoted 1.5 hours of labor and the Workshop Manual calls for 1.5 liters of 75W-90 gearbox fluid).

The only other thing I can think of has to do with tires. I've been told by a few Porsche techs that you MUST replace all 4 tires on an AWD car at the same time. I assume this is for handling purposes, but someone who knows the exact technical reasons can chime in. Why am I mentioning this as an extra cost? Well if you subscribe to this line of thinking, you may be replacing tires somewhat prematurely just to make sure all 4 are matching (since the fronts and backs tend to wear at different rates). There is an obvious cost involved with that, but what it is exactly I don't know. I could probably come up with a figure if I wanted to . . . but I don't want to.

Sean
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 PM
DrivingPassion
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences.
I'm new here and enjoyed reading this thread thoroughly.
I'm BMW M3 owner and lately, I've been thinking about getting an older 911 with DIY work in mind since I maintain all my Bimmers.

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer: Exepected Maintenance Costs?