Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum + Center Muffler Bypass= BINGO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPD Plenum + Center Muffler Bypass= BINGO!

Wow, what a difference!
I have a 997.2 C2S pdk. First I got the center muffler bypass crossover pipe (AWE), then the IPD Plenum....
The combo of improving air flow and reducing restriction has made a HUGE difference in the driving experience-- improved torque, responsiveness, smoothness, etc-- even in normal drive (non-sport) mode. In sport auto mode, it has become a beast. Even pdk shifts seem faster and smoother. And the sound is far superior too, though not loud.
Honestly, this is the way the car should have come stock....

(I've thought about ECU Softronic or Giac tune, but now I don't feel it's necessary)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I wonder if the plenum would help on a GTS.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a plenum for my car, the dyno graphs are impressive and the idea is simple enough. I'll have to ask my service department if there's any issues with warranty if ones installed in the car. I'd like to think not because it's a non moving part and all it does is direct airflow but you never know.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Mixed reviews on the IPD. I wanted one too but after reading dozens of posts I question if it actually works. Sort of like an air intake. It sounds good but may not bring much benefit. In theory, if the motor is the pump....bringing air in and out of the pump more efficiently would be a good thing right. I suspect Porsche has optimized the motors pretty well and the motor breaths good. Perhaps, 200 cell cats, headers, intake, exhaust and a tune could get you 25 HP for $10k.

I mean....look at the 3.8l GT3 motor upgrades. You need to spend $30k just to get another 100hp so I'm thinking Porsche has done a very good job to start. Just say'n. Let us know if you see anything from the butt dyno.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

some free flow air filters like BMC and a ecu program like EVOMS will really open it up even more
Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It's all because of the muffler bypass, IPD won't have any noticable difference!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Mixed reviews on the IPD. I wanted one too but after reading dozens of posts I question if it actually works. Sort of like an air intake. It sounds good but may not bring much benefit. In theory, if the motor is the pump....bringing air in and out of the pump more efficiently would be a good thing right. I suspect Porsche has optimized the motors pretty well and the motor breaths good. Perhaps, 200 cell cats, headers, intake, exhaust and a tune could get you 25 HP for $10k.

I mean....look at the 3.8l GT3 motor upgrades. You need to spend $30k just to get another 100hp so I'm thinking Porsche has done a very good job to start. Just say'n. Let us know if you see anything from the butt dyno.
The ’low hanging fruit' concept, right? I believe Porsche knows EXACTLEY what they're doing. Want to jam more air into the engine? Buy a TT. Want a freeer revving engine with a tuned camshaft? Buy a GT3. Money solves all problems related to physics.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I'm thinking the center muffler delete and 200 cell cats are going to be the extent of my future power mods.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the sharkwerks bypass. its certainly the best mod for $700.
however on our non GT cars i dont think theres enough air being directed into the engine. Put on a gt3 fixed wing w/ bigger inlets, IPD, Cats, reflash and then we'll have something

Last edited by kosmo; 08-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 AM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
It's all because of the muffler bypass, IPD won't have any noticable difference!
Totally wrong. I had the center muffler bypass for about 2 months first. Really was a nice improvement. But the addition of the IPD Plenum after that was a huge leap. It is clear that the stock Plenum was way too restrictive.
Now my car is fast even in regular Auto mode. And I no longer get any pdk hesitation or jerkiness after cold start-ups. IT'S SMOOTH. Honestly, regardless of what the dyno shows, it's as if my engine can finally breathe right for the first time.....it's that noticible....

That being said, I've heard that the IPD alone won't help that much unless the center muffler restriction has been removed-- so you need to do the bypass first, prior to the IPD Plenum, or simultaneous.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Obviously, this is your money and if any mod makes you happy then go for it. However, the proof is in the pudding and personally I don't want to spend a $1,000 / HP. This reminds me of moding my mountain bike where it cost $100/gram to ligten it up.

The center muffler delete (For 997.2 / 997.1 doesn't have one) seems like a good mod along with the Gundo. Guys seem to love it. The 200 Cell seems to be an awesome mod but seems like a new Tune would be in order.

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Totally wrong. I had the center muffler bypass for about 2 months first. Really was a nice improvement. But the addition of the IPD Plenum after that was a huge leap. It is clear that the stock Plenum was way too restrictive.
Now my car is fast even in regular Auto mode. And I no longer get any pdk hesitation or jerkiness after cold start-ups. IT'S SMOOTH. Honestly, regardless of what the dyno shows, it's as if my engine can finally breathe right for the first time.....it's that noticible....

That being said, I've heard that the IPD alone won't help that much unless the center muffler restriction has been removed-- so you need to do the bypass first, prior to the IPD Plenum, or simultaneous.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Good analogy.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
The ’low hanging fruit' concept, right? I believe Porsche knows EXACTLEY what they're doing. Want to jam more air into the engine? Buy a TT. Want a freeer revving engine with a tuned camshaft? Buy a GT3. Money solves all problems related to physics.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BevHillsPorsche
I want a plenum for my car, the dyno graphs are impressive and the idea is simple enough. I'll have to ask my service department if there's any issues with warranty if ones installed in the car. I'd like to think not because it's a non moving part and all it does is direct airflow but you never know.
If you do it, please do a before and after dyno run in an independent shop.
Wouldn't it be nice to see those "impressive dyno graphs" live?
Alternatively, you can search the WWW for people that did that already, in various P cars..
Old 08-19-2012, 03:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldnt try to modify the intake on a GTS, because it already has the upgraded tuned induction intake, what ever that is, it is modified over the stock 997.2 intake.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I wouldnt try to modify the intake on a GTS, because it already has the upgraded tuned induction intake, what ever that is, it is modified over the stock 997.2 intake.
Yes, that indirectly proved my point. Everyone comments that the GTS pulls harder than the S. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with improved intake/ air flow. The S is more restrictive-- but adding the IPD Plenum brings it much more towards the GTS...
To re-iterate my point: my engine and PDK loves the improved air flow. I can drive my car in stop-and-go traffic in SPORT AUTO mode now with virtually NO jerkiness. The PDK feels smoother and faster now--like the 991!
Don't exactly know why. But amazingly better.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum + Center Muffler Bypass= BINGO!