Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on getting my first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

For the Twins.. Mine use the Recaro Vivos. As long as they weigh 30 lbs, are 3 yrs old, and are 36 inches... they're perfect. I removed the entire rear seats. Mainly to give them a little more room but also to keep them pristine.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM
13sinned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eric,
i just ID'd the tyres it's vredestein sessanta

sy308,
just picking up hobbies that went hiatus right after i got married it will be great if i can drive it at least once a week depending how much stuff needed for the twin's day out. i'm planning to autoX it and hopefully join trackdays too.
yes, i plan to have it PPI w/ paint metering option too. from what i got, it averages about $350 within the silicon valley. thus, i need to inspect it properly if its a great prospect and not just throwing $300 out the window. he mentioned the records are complete and i'll also include all the concerns that you guys suggested. i hope everything adds up as a positive.
thanks for all the pointers esp looking @ the trade in value as a starting point instead how much it would retail.

MLindgren, pissedpuppy, datura,
thanks for the added pointers. re: steven's creek.. i just read that i'll be better off with the those shops that was mentioned.

hella-buggin,
i have the proride they are just 20mo old and 5lbs short of the vivo's weight requirement.

Last edited by 13sinned; 08-18-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Keep us posted and good luck

If the dealer is confident, ask him to spring for the PPI - tell him if it checks out, you'll pay for it. Seems fair.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Dennis - unless I missed it in the Craigslist ad or your post, I can't find the mileage and asking price. I think if you could give us that you'd get a lot more informed responses. Good luck with the search.

Last edited by CAA; 08-18-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM
13sinned
Advanced

pissedpuppy,
thanks for the suggestion, i'll try to negotiate the PPI into the equation. i'm waiting for his reply if i can check it tomorrow.

CAA,
thanks! mileage is 58K miles. the price is not posted, just a hint that it'll be lower than KBB. i emailed him about the price if he just missed it but his reply was what's my reasonable offer.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Don't know squat about the brand of rubber on those wheels, might want to check with others on that.
Those tires are called Vredesteins Ultac Sessenta. They are a Dutch tire and work very, very well and they win lots of shootouts in Europe. They are amazing in the rain in particular but I've tracked them and they overheat eventually.

The advantage of them is that in the tire sizes my current car needs, the MPSS cost about $1500 where-as the Vredesteins can be had for about $900.

There is only one US distributor that imports them located in SoCal and he can be found on ebay.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

What does the IMS upgraded bearing consist of and approximate cost?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
13sinned
Advanced

update:
emailed him about his dealership address. but he's only available after 5PM and asked for my phone number to tell me the address. it starts to feel weird and not right...

first i ask for the price since he never mentioned it on his craiglist ad and replied what's my reasonable offer. but he mentioned on his ad it's lower than KBB but at what pricepoint?

2nd i asked if mars motoring is a dealership and i asked for the address coz i'm planning to check it out today. but he never answered if he's a dealer/used car company. instead replied he's free right after 5PM and asked for my no. for his address which he can easily reply his on the email

i researched a little further, i got an address but when i checked it earlier it lead me to a residential condo??! i thought he has a used car store where he displays his cars. i got a feeling i should start looking again. thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

So far there are too many red flags for my tastes.
On the other hand, see how far you can take the research as you'll no doubt learn something. Even if it is what not to buy.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Several red flags pop up for me on this particular car. Macster hit upon one of the bigger ones--the heat affected brake calipers. I have seen many cars tracked but very few wind up with so much heat into the front calipers that the red turns to orange. It's a sign that this car saw much track time. Also, the new clutch at 58,000 miles. These cars should routinely give you 100,000 miles on a clutch--easily--if you know how to drive a stick.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Just came across this thread and checked out that vehicle as well. With some wear and tear, it's not perfect but it seems to be in good shape and feels faster than another S I test drove. I also brought up the brake issue and was shown a part of brake, with orange paint chipped, and the red color looks shinny and not likely to be a result of abuse (orange color on brake was powder coated, not due to heat).

That said, the exhaust is little on the loud side for my taste, but this is all personal preference I guess.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by r6bruin
Just came across this thread and checked out that vehicle as well. With some wear and tear, it's not perfect but it seems to be in good shape and feels faster than another S I test drove. I also brought up the brake issue and was shown a part of brake, with orange paint chipped, and the red color looks shinny and not likely to be a result of abuse (orange color on brake was powder coated, not due to heat).

That said, the exhaust is little on the loud side for my taste, but this is all personal preference I guess.
what exhaust?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 AM
r6bruin
Intermediate

According to the ad, it's called B&B.

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
what exhaust?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Abort mission!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Just saw another mars motors ad on CL...was this car real?
This current one has lots of details of options listing 05 997 C4S for $33k, but again, no ph# or address....
PL

Quick Reply: help on getting my first porsche