Sponsored by:

A couple of questions - Sport Exhaust, Shifter, S vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A couple of questions - Sport Exhaust, Shifter, S vs. 4S

Was looking for an S 997-1 cab, but found a 2006 4S instead. In addition to the usual options (Nav, Bose, Chrono, Power seats) it's got the sport exhaust and sport shifter. I was planning on flying over to take a look at it this weekend.

A couple of questions:

- Does the sport exhaust just sound more throaty? Any other differences? Is it a good thing to have?

- I assume the sport shifter basically just has shorter throws? I've never tried one, but just off-hand I'd say that'd be a good thing, no? Are there any disadvantages vs. the regular shifter?

- I really didn't need a 4S, but I don't think I'd mind having it. Is there a big difference in handling or feel between the S and the 4S? I know the 4S is about 40mm wider, which is great esthetically, but I hope it doesn't have a heavier or "stodgier" feel!

Thanks for any guidance guys! This'll be my first Porsche, and I'm very excited!!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The sport exhaust does sound different on a 997.1, from idle up to 4000 or so rpms where it just screams. Worth it? I wouldn't get one without it, although there are aftermarket conversions too. You can turn PSE off to compare the difference. It's significant.

I love the short shifter. It's more notchy from 1st to 2nd, but definitely a nice upgrade. Drive both to compare.

Handling is different. Again, drive both to compare. If you won't drive the car in rain or snow, a 4 isn't necessary, and even in those conditions a rwd carrera can be fine. It's just added security. Also, the wider hips of the 4 seal the deal for some, as do the different pull through corners and slightly meatier, heavier steering. For those same reasons, many Porsche purists prefer the feel of the rwd car.

My 4S was optioned in a way I could have only dreamed, and I prefer the wider rear, so I bought it sight unseen. I've driven rwd Carreras and they feel different, but not necessarily better or worse. It's a win-win situation with these cars.

Good luck with the hunt. Drive a few examples unless you know what you want. If you like it, go for it. You can always sell it later for something different.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

The sport exhaust and sport shifter I feel are the two must have options on the 911
Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 PM
fastm3
Racer

So you can actually control the sound effect of the sport exhaust from inside the car? Is there a switch or something?

I like the shorter shifts, but the notchiness from 1 to 2 could get on my nerves. Like you said, I guess I'll just have to try it out personally. If for some reason I don't like it, is it something that can be undone?

Thanks for your input guys....keep 'em coming!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by fastm3
So you can actually control the sound effect of the sport exhaust from inside the car? Is there a switch or something?

I like the shorter shifts, but the notchiness from 1 to 2 could get on my nerves. Like you said, I guess I'll just have to try it out personally. If for some reason I don't like it, is it something that can be undone?

Sport Exhaust - yes, it is activated by pressing the sport button. I added it to my 997.1S and my prior 996, and I love it.

Also added short shifter to those cars and my current TT came with it. I love it. I wouldn't worry about any minor notchiness. And yes it is reversible, you'd just need the standard shifter component (probably easy to buy used since so many upgrade to short shifter), and its easy enough you could do it yourself with minor skills, and not terribly expensive for a dealer to do.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM
fastm3
Racer

Thanks so much guys. It sounds like the sport shifter and exhaust are both great options, and can be turned off/removed if I dont' like them. That's fantastic!

The choice now is really between an S and a 4S. The S has 5K less miles and full leather. The 4S has the sport shifter and exhaust. The price and the color combo are the same. Tough choice, but I do wish all my "problems" were of this nature!

I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of them this weekend. I'll see if I can get my local dealer to let me test drive an S and 4S back to back, even though, unfortunately, neither car is local.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

On a 997.1 the PSE is activated by a button on the center console that has a cute picture of exhaust tips on it, on a car without Sports Chrono. It's an awesome option.
On my previous 2006 C2S, my sequence upon starting the car was to press the PSE button, followed by the radio power button, turning it off
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much guys. It sounds like the sport shifter and exhaust are both great options, and can be turned off/removed if I dont' like them. That's fantastic!

The choice now is really between an S and a 4S. The S has 5K less miles and full leather. The 4S has the sport shifter and exhaust. The price and the color combo are the same. Tough choice, but I do wish all my "problems" were of this nature!

I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of them this weekend. I'll see if I can get my local dealer to let me test drive an S and 4S back to back, even though, unfortunately, neither car is local.
Love the PSE but go for the c2s! You can always upgrade the exhaust, it's more difficult to remove the front drive components
Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by Renzsport
Love the PSE but go for the c2s! You can always upgrade the exhaust, it's more difficult to remove the front drive components
But, why would I want to do that?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol I just prefer the rwd 911

Quick Reply: A couple of questions - Sport Exhaust, Shifter, S vs. 4S