Sponsored by:

the shock absorber button

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default the shock absorber button

and the one next to it, says 'sport'... is this PASM? the original invoice says 'sport chrono packet plus' and was about €700 in 2008, i am trying to figure out if my car is lower than stock by 10mm as has been reported here...and there... can anyone shed light on this for me?, thanks, kk

Last edited by kkswow12; 08-30-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, that's sport chrono - which activates sport setting in PASM if you have it. If you have an 'S' it's standard, otherwise an option. If you do have it, you'll have a button with a shock absorber symbol next to the sport button.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lower

Yes, your car is 10mm lower than stock or w/o Sport Chrono. The height does not change with pressing any buttons. It is fixed.
Both buttons will enable PASM, the Shock button will enable only PASM and stay on even if you shut your engine off. Your shocks are firmer now. Not fun on bumpy roads.
The Sport button will enable PASM and remap your engine for more throttle response and different power and torque curves. The Sport button will also enable the Porsche sport exhaust PSE if you have it. Your car will sound louder, be stiffer and respond faster now too. It also makes ABS smarten up for sportier driving IIRC. Too bad it doesn't turn AC and Stereo off and make your GF shut up in passenger seat. The sport mode will be disabled all together the next time you start your car.

Last edited by Luxter; 08-08-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Bits added
The following 6 users liked this post by Luxter:
CBschnell (01-13-2022), frybear (01-13-2022), JShermdog (03-09-2024), Kodos9865 (12-13-2022), Porschenewbee (01-12-2022), yvesvidal (01-13-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
Yes, your car is 10mm lower than stock or w/o Sport Chrono. The height does not change with pressing any buttons. It is fixed.
Both buttons will enable PASM, the Shock button will enable only PASM and stay on even if you shut your engine off. Your shocks are firmer now. Not fun on bumpy roads.
The Sport button will enable PASM and remap your engine for more throttle response and different power and torque curves. The Sport button will also enable the Porsche sport exhaust PSE if you have it. Your car will sound louder, be stiffer and respond faster now too. It also makes ABS smarten up for sportier driving IIRC. Too bad it doesn't turn AC and Stereo off and make your GF shut up in passenger seat. The sport mode will be disabled all together the next time you start your car.
made me laugh!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

luxter, thanks for this info, now... i am looking to lower the car a bit more than it is already with the PASM, and i have a set of the eibach lowering springs... of course they HAVE to know this, being that i ordered springs for the "S"...we shall see, thanks, again, and there will be pics,
The following users liked this post:
JShermdog (03-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say most of the time I press the "sport" button, I turn the PASM off.
I want the enhanced sportiness of the sport setting, but also like the more compliant ride you get with PASM off.
JShermdog (03-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

It's pretty simple but there is much mis-info out there. This apply's only to 997S cars....

Sport Button light on changes throttle map and can relax some of the PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
The Shock light only firms up the shocks...it does NOT lower the car on a 997 with PASM. It does not turn PASM on or off.

There is no turning PASM off. PASM stands for Porsche Active Suspension Management. It's always on and working...when you press the shock button you are NOT turning PASM on...you are only stiffening up the shocks...PASM is always on and working.

PASM is standard on a Carrera S and GTS and is lower than a regular Carrera which does not come with PASM standard. Sport PASM is lower than PASM and slightly stiffer...but not by much.
zoomyracecar (01-14-2022)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Luxter
Pro

Default PASM

Mike,
Thank you for clarifications. Agree, the PASM is always on, the button selects between normal and sport modes.
Here is what Porsche says about it (published around 2004/2005):

"The PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management), featured as standard on the 911 Carrera S, combines two chassis in one: one with equal measures of sportiness and comfort for long distances, and one entirely dedicated to sportiness for extreme driving.
The PASM system consists of map controlled dampers with continuously adjustable damping force, a control module and two acceleration sensors for detecting vertical movements of the body. Lateral acceleration, steering angle, speed, brake pressure, engine torque and more are all read in via the CAN bus.
The required program (Normal or Sport) is selected via a button on the center console. In both the Normal and Sport programs, PASM selects the required damping rate for each individual wheel from a precisely coordinated map.
The possible damper settings range from comfortable to decidedly sporty. This ensures a gain in active driving safety in all driving situations with a noticeable improvement in the level of comfort."

I believe it also preloads the brakes on sudden lift off of the throttle pedal and levels the chasis during hard braking (prevent nose dive, regardless of the setting, sport or normal). Pretty clever, still no control over your passenger's mouth
JShermdog (03-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Luxter
Pro

Default More on PASM

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
made me laugh!!!
Not very nice to laugh at somebody else's misery

More about PASM from the source:

Porsche Active Suspension Management
Standard on the 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S and optional on the 2005 Porsche 911
Carrera is the new Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). PASM uses active
damping to provide two suspension systems in one, one designed for an athletic yet
comfortable ride and the other for performance driving situations.
By pressing a button on the center console, the driver can switch from “PASM Normal”
to “PASM Sport.” Even in normal mode, the PASM suspension lowers the car by 0.39
inches (10 mm) compared to the standard 911 Carrera suspension setup. When switched
into its sport setting, PASM activates a firmer damper control map to provide extreme
agility and dynamic control that minimizes body roll.
In testing at Germany’s famous Nürburgring racing circuit, the PASM Sport setting
produced lap times an average of five seconds faster than with the standard 2005
suspension setup.
There are advantages to PASM even when left in its normal setting, because it
automatically adjusts to changes in driving style, gradually becoming firmer to respond
to greater dynamic forces.
The PASM system combines continuously adjustable shock absorbers, a pair of
accelerometers – one in the front right damper dome, the other in the left rear -- that
determine vertical movements of the car’s body and an electronic control unit that also
has access to steering angle, road speed, brake pressure and engine torque figures.
Together they can provide optimum damper control for each wheel through the active
dampers that have a similar structure as standard shocks (providing damping with oil
pressure), but that also have a bypass valve that opens and closes to increase or reduce
the oil flow as needed. (Should the system fail, the bypass valve automatically closes,
putting PASM into its hardest position to assure a safe driving mode.)
Settings for any driving situation
PASM is equipped with five special software modules – lane change, vertical control,
lateral acceleration, brake and load change – to provide optimum settings for any driving
condition.
Lane change module: In response to rapid movements of the steering wheel in a sudden
maneuver, the system instantaneously increases damper forces on both axles, reducing
any tendency toward swaying or rocking.
Vertical control module: In the normal program, damper forces increase whenever
vertical movement of the car’s body exceeds a threshold, for example, when driving on a
bumpy surface. This prevents any risk of the body starting to rock. However, when in
the sport program, the system reduces the damping effect to maintain wheel contact with
a rough surface, preventing the risk of the car “jumping” around.
Lateral acceleration module: In the normal program, damping varies through a curve and
adjusts with road speed and lateral acceleration.
Brake module: As soon as the driver applies the brakes, PASM firms damping to reduce
body dive, ensuring faster transmission of brake forces to the road. Then, at a certain
point in the braking process, the system switches to softer damping, with different forces
applied in the front and rear of the car. This ensures better surface contact and shortens
stopping distances, even on rough roads.
Load change module: In all-out acceleration, with the driver lifting off the accelerator
while shifting gears, the control maps are adjusted for the front and rear axles. In the
normal mode, harder damping is used briefly to prevent too much squad. In the sports
mode, a softer damper response is used to improve traction, for example, on a rough
road surface.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:47 PM
Porschenewbee
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dated my girlfriend?
JShermdog (03-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:48 PM
Porschenewbee
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You dated my Girlfriend?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:22 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 614 Posts

Your car will sound louder, be stiffer and respond faster now too. It also makes ABS smarten up for sportier driving IIRC. Too bad it doesn't turn AC and Stereo off and make your GF shut up in passenger seat.
F-ing hilarous! I will definitely quote that line in the future.
Thanks for the laugh!
Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 614 Posts

And double thanks for the detailed PASM explanation posts.
A good system to have on any 911.
A great system with a TPC DSM controller. (No affiliation.)
Best $1000 I ever spent on a suspension upgrade.

Quick Reply: the shock absorber button