Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Different rules for different countries.

Truth is that in the USA many law enforcement departments impound cars for cash anyway they can... and in the deepest of the righty conservative south, too. (Google it, if you doubt.)

Canada is still cool and B.C. is still awesome.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Speeding is not a real crime. It has no intention to hurt anyone else.
If it breaks the law its a crime.

Lack of intent to hurt does not make it a non-crime

Drunk drivers dont have intent to hurt someone, yet I would bet most, if not all of us, would consider it a crime.

Don’t like the speed limit, then go to the town hall and get it changed. Otherwise you are obligated to obey the law. You dont get to pick what laws apply to you and which dont.

Are there are better things to do that would make the road safer, there may be, but the speed limit law does exist. The problem is really that its the easiest of all the road safety laws to measure being broken or not.

The desire to be able to break the speeding law because it interferes with your fun sounds like a bunch of entitled liberals who want their welfare check because a job interferes with their free time

Time to move to the OT forum

Last edited by eflight; 08-08-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spealing
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on! Give the Canadian police a break!

Whaddya expect! The dollar isnt worth much, the are required to learn to speaksfrench, yet pay homage to the Queen of England, and they couldnt find enough people to play hockey so had to recruit teams from places like Anaheim, San Jose, etc. And the cold has gotta mess with rational thought!

Joking aside...the penalties were too stiff but they are doing what is referred to as "taxing the rich" by some.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the comments are the worst part, for some reason they all seem to believe "our daddies bought our cars".
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

The interesting thing that I'm seeing as I believe the PO spoke with these same drivers the week before and gave them a warning. This would make sense as I was 2 cars behind them and all of a sudden saw this B&W station wagon cruise pull a u-turn from on comming taffic into our lane, then rush up along side these guys, and then STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE of a the Sea to Sky Hwy with no light s flashing et... This created a potentially dangerous abrupt stop in the traffic flow. He hopped out of his crusier, directed the four cars over, and proceeded to walk up to each one, reach in and pull out the keys, all with 80 km/hr traffic piling up. In my opion he appeared pretty beefed up and set up a potentially dangerous block in the middle of the hwy. Crazy. What people do when they're pissed.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Every time there's a thread having this sensitive subject,there will always be the so called ' law abiding citizens ' who will be preaching about the morality of the situation. IMO those are the worst offenders when they're out in the real world and not writing on the Internet.
I know examples of off duty LEO's that are breaking the same law they are sworn to protect,in this case driving 40-50 MPH over the speed limit in their personal vehicles and when they get pulled over,they get away with it by showing a badge. How is that for ' law abiding citizen '?!
If you ask me,that LEO could've pulled them over,give them a ticket for 15-20 MPH over,tell them that next time this happens he will have their cars towed and everything would've ended with smiles on both sides. But noooo...why not show your superiors what a good job you've done hoping for a promotion and hear your buddies down at the Station when you roll in the Police impound with 4 nice Porsches on tow trucks.... ' I've showed them...! '
In the meantime the fat ***,fast food eaters while driving,cell phone blabbers/texters,some of them driving moving ' death traps ', without lights,bald tires,no brakes,will continue to be causing accidents...
I believe I read somewhere that the National Traffic Safety Administration(I believe it's called) did a recent survey,stating that only 1% of accidents in the country are caused by freeway speeding. The rest is caused by other reasons,a big percentage of accidents happening at city speed limits.
Give me a break!
End of rant!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
Every time there's a thread having this sensitive subject,there will always be the so called ' law abiding citizens ' who will be preaching about the morality of the situation. IMO those are the worst offenders when they're out in the real world and not writing on the Internet.
I know examples of off duty LEO's that are breaking the same law they are sworn to protect,in this case driving 40-50 MPH over the speed limit in their personal vehicles and when they get pulled over,they get away with it by showing a badge. How is that for ' law abiding citizen '?!
If you ask me,that LEO could've pulled them over,give them a ticket for 15-20 MPH over,tell them that next time this happens he will have their cars towed and everything would've ended with smiles on both sides. But noooo...why not show your superiors what a good job you've done hoping for a promotion and hear your buddies down at the Station when you roll in the Police impound with 4 nice Porsches on tow trucks.... ' I've showed them...! '
In the meantime the fat ***,fast food eaters while driving,cell phone blabbers/texters,some of them driving moving ' death traps ', without lights,bald tires,no brakes,will continue to be causing accidents...
I believe I read somewhere that the National Traffic Safety Administration(I believe it's called) did a recent survey,stating that only 1% of accidents in the country are caused by freeway speeding. The rest is caused by other reasons,a big percentage of accidents happening at city speed limits.
Give me a break!
End of rant!

Completely agree +1
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I think if you Play you Pay. Down here at the Tail of the Dragon someone alway fly's into the woods and dies. Usually, it's someone on a motorcycle but when that happens the cops are out in full force expecially on the weekend. I've driven the Tail a half dozen times during the week and it's a blast. The cops show up on the weekend and nail people for reckless driving all the time because they are drive like idiots. I think the key is to ride/drive a pace within the speed limits and not get crazy. 318 curves in 11 miles you don't need to go crazy on the Tail.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This road is nothing like the dragon - it's a high speed highway with artificially low speed limits!!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
The interesting thing that I'm seeing as I believe the PO spoke with these same drivers the week before and gave them a warning. This would make sense as I was 2 cars behind them and all of a sudden saw this B&W station wagon cruise pull a u-turn from on comming taffic into our lane, then rush up along side these guys, and then STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE of a the Sea to Sky Hwy with no light s flashing et... This created a potentially dangerous abrupt stop in the traffic flow. He hopped out of his crusier, directed the four cars over, and proceeded to walk up to each one, reach in and pull out the keys, all with 80 km/hr traffic piling up. In my opion he appeared pretty beefed up and set up a potentially dangerous block in the middle of the hwy. Crazy. What people do when they're pissed.
Oh yeah, like the actions of the dumb RCMP officers are NOT dangerous... I've seen this many time, like stop in the middle of the road to *warn/ticket* ppl, creating a much more dangerous situation that the supposed offence!

So, this was on a Bob's Bfast run? Unreal! Those guys are ALL very responsible, and on neither of those runs I've seen anyone do anything stupid. All mature, level headed enthusiasts. Such a shame! I always see idiots and kids speeding at much higher speeds on the same road and crossing the mid lanes, etc...

Boy I hope we get some sense into our government!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
Give me a break!
End of rant!
Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious to anyone, but apparently is not.

I find the do-gooder no speeding guys really annoying, especially when they are on a Porsche or GSXR1000 forum spouting their crap. And often throwing a politically sided arguement on top of it as well as we've just seen. Altghough this one is interesting because Conservatives are supposed to believe in LESS government intrusion, not more. Must be a modern Republican which isn't a Conservative at all.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Oh yeah, like the actions of the dumb RCMP officers are NOT dangerous... I've seen this many time, like stop in the middle of the road to *warn/ticket* ppl, creating a much more dangerous situation that the supposed offence!

So, this was on a Bob's Bfast run? Unreal! Those guys are ALL very responsible, and on neither of those runs I've seen anyone do anything stupid. All mature, level headed enthusiasts. Such a shame! I always see idiots and kids speeding at much higher speeds on the same road and crossing the mid lanes, etc...

Boy I hope we get some sense into our government!
My fear is that BBC gets a bad rap. I'd like to start a yearly September
"BBC Drive for MADD", collect some money, and have the local president of MADD and the Local PO rep attend the Sat meeting for a presentation and pics for the news etc... I think it would chill things out. We'll see what happens when Bob gets back from holidays.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
My fear is that BBC gets a bad rap. I'd like to start a yearly September
"BBC Drive for MADD", collect some money, and have the local president of MADD and the Local PO rep attend the Sat meeting for a presentation and pics for the news etc... I think it would chill things out. We'll see what happens when Bob gets back from holidays.
+1 to that... as I said those guys are the most responsible I've seen, must be an a-hole of a cop jealous of sports cars driving on that stretch at *similar speeds* as 70% of all drivers do.

I like to know what rationale goes into determining *speed limit*? Like if 80% of the people do 100 Kmh+ over there, WHY it should be 80?

I LOVE when I visit Germany, no speed on roads that are deemed safe for high speed driving, then reasonable speed limits (130, 110, etc) around areas where lower speed is required (crossing a town, lots of exits, etc), AND the speed limit is DYNAMIC, meaning that it changes based on weather and traffic conditions... and literally everyone slows down when speed sign says so, as it just makes sense!

When a law doesn't make sense, most people break it, simple as that!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

When a law doesn't make sense, most people break it, simple as that!
i agree with this and I think the genesis of the masses will to "break" a speed limit was the mandatory 55 MPH era. The populous did not agree with that mandate>

I believe speed limits are set by and large with no real science or data behind them. It seems like a government guy taking a swag at what "safe speed" is and then locals refining that based on financial needs. For example at exit 16 south in I95 in CT the speed limit changes to 45MPH! It three lanes wide... There is no noticeable difference except that you enter Norwalk at that point.

There are SO many other ways to make the roads safe and fill the coffers (left lane squatters - you could pull these cars over ALL day long) but it seems speeding is the easiest.

Matt
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, they broke the law. Yes, they deserve to pay for their tickets when they are caught speeding. BUT, this is definitely NOT street racing like others had been caught. I just can not agree with people/media addressing this as street racing.

Quick Reply: Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky