Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for this 997

Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much would you pay for this 997

Saw this 2006 997, Green/Tan, 32K mi, stick, Nav, Bose, and that's about it. Definitely not a garage queen. Looks good from a distance, but some small scratches and nicks on closer inspection. Brake handle, stick shift ****, and steering wheel all a bit worn. A tiny cut in the leather of the passenger seat. Curb rash on a couple of the wheels. Maintenance done at the local P dealer, but minimum required (e.g. no 4000 mi oil changes). Here is the big thing - car was in an accident a few years ago, and the drivers side rocker panel was repaired, and door replaced. The repairs look pretty good to the layman.

KBB (fair condition):

Private Party: $44K
Trade-In: $41K

What do you guys think this car is worth, given the condition and accident?

Last edited by fastm3; 08-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The KBB prices you mentioned in the post are about right. But there are so many well cared for preowned 997 cabs for a bit more money that in the long run are worth the premium. I suspect the owner thinks it is worth more than a low $40K number. And I would pay even less.

My advice is to move on to another car.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what you wanted to do with the car, it could have possibilities. Like if you wanted a cab and a daily driver, the car would be worth looking at and I would offer wholesale (high 30's). If you are not sure how to price it, most large cities have wholesale buyers in lieu of trading a car in. Offer $500 more. But remember, you too are going to have to sell it someday and the next buyer is going to have to look at the same cosmetic defects you are seeing today and then the ones you are going to add. That will slow the sale and detract from the price too. If you were looking for a nicer car and then would have to put money into it in order to make you happy, move on right now because those changes are not going to increase the value. Overall, you still have to think of any mechanical problems that you did not mention. All cars have those issues. However, I never buy cabs because I want the option of tracking the car, so I would not even consider it. Anyway, I think everyone here would think you can (and WILL) do better. All you have to do is be patient. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That cab in excellent condition should be around $55k-60k CPO retail. Deduce $4k for person to person sale, $5k for interio Rimsr, $8k for collision. You can fix all the cosmetic stuff for less than $5k.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
jason74
Instructor

That could be a great daily driver if that's your plan for it. If it's worth less when you sell it, remember that you paid less for it... As long as it drives well and the repairs have been properly performed...

If you want a garage queen, probably not the right car for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Rocco07
Racer

"T-Boned?" Is this in the CARFAX (curious)? if so, I'd walk away.
If it's not, compliments go to the seller for disclosing it. I'd probably still find another. These are not inexpensive to maintain/repair. There could be accident-related issues down the road that have not yet manifested themselves. How hard was it hit?
Too many doubts.

B.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Dude, you need to look at my 2006 911S that i'm considering to sell. Garage queen, in mint condition. Email me at nkkd@msn.com if you have interest. NK
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Limited people buy a car like this. Less again knowing that its been in an accident.

Might be a tough sell when your done with her........personally not a nice clour combo too.

nkelley might have the car your after ?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Mumbles,

My 911S looks identicle to your pic, rims and all. What year and model is yours? NK
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I really appreciate your guidance and expertise.

I can have the car for the mid $30Ks, but even at that price I'm weary. It's obviously not CPO, and any future repairs, either related to the accident or to the minimum maintenance performed, would be expensive. I would obviously do a PPI, just to get a better idea of where the car really stands.

I personally do like the color combo. It's a classic combo, but more in the British tradition than German. Drove the car, and it sounds and drives fine. The CarFax does not mention the accident, but the seller immediately mentioned it. This really calls into question the value of CarFax....

I guess if I can buy it in the low $30Ks, it MIGHT give me some margin of safety. This is assuming the PPI doesn't uncover any big issues. I haven't decided to buy it, so just thinking about the various possible scenarios at this point.

BTW, since I don't have a garage, the car will sit outside in the street in front of my house. It clearly won't be garage queen, and will be used as a daily driver.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Low 30's sounds very low for an '06 cab so I'm suspicious. If the PPI check's out then you should have a good DD on hand especially if the repair was done properly. Find out where the PO had the repair done and ask for the receipts before you pay for a PPI... may help to determine quality of workmanship - run if it's Maaco. Someone on the forum may know of the service shop and their reputation. Carfax is flawed 50% of the time. Good for your resell value later should you want to say sell it to Carmax at a later date. Really all depends on your budget and what you're comfortable with... if you have more to spend and want a pristine example then continue looking. But if you're looking for a DD that may get some more dings(hopefully not) anyways then this may be the perfect ride... especially if the body repair was well executed.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

convertibles hit midrif always scare me...
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nkelley
Mumbles,

My 911S looks identicle to your pic, rims and all. What year and model is yours? NK
Mine is an 09 build "S" PDK, 5k miles
Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't trust carfax. I just went through an issue with carfax when I traded in my CPO Cayenne S for my 997 (i got it yessterday). Bought the Cayenne in October '10. No accidents. I went to trade it in and it shows front and rear accident that occured January 10 but was not shown until Feb of 2011, 13 months later. Just be careful. Glad the owner was honest with you
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If you're going to daily drive it and it's going to live outside, paying more for a cosmetically perfect car seems a waste of money to me. In fact, other than the accident (any niggling doubts you can resolve with a PPI), a "pre-disastered" (a concept explained in the movie: The World According to Garp) 911 seems a great way to get a big discount on a mechanically sound car that is destined to be scratched and bumped anyway.

If it checks out mechanically, that sounds like a great deal to me. Your posts make it sound like you like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much would you pay for this 997