Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open the engine lid or let the fans kick in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in PHX, in the summer, we're pretty much over 100 every day.
I've noticed that after parking the car in the garage, a few minutes later, the engine fan is running every time I've gone back out there.
I've opened the hatch, and when I do, the fan turns off. I don't think you can do both, as someone indicated.
I've left the hatch open overnight, and didnt think of locking the car turning the hatch light off, so I appreciate that little nugget of wisdom!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
After seeing the fan run with the lid open, I now leave it closed.
If it runs with the lid open, something is wrong with the cut off switch.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

I actually just open the lid and run a stand fan to cool the engine. Engine is cool to the touch in 15 min and then i close the lid. Best option i think.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

at DE after session i always open it up. you do not want water to boil.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I pour a tub of ice water over the louvers via trip wire in my driveway....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If opening the door rather than running the fan was a better way of cooling the engine, Porsche may have made that the automated solution connected to the thermal switch.

Picture it, after a drive, you park the car and the door pops open all by itself to cool the motor
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

A bunch of really smart German engineers put a fan in there for a reason - let it do its job.

Of course, they also put the engine in the wrong place, so maybe it would be prudent to open the hood!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I live on a pretty serious ridge line and getting home works the engine pretty good. I'm usually in 1st gear for a good portion of the end climb before my house. Sometimes after I park the fans kick on.

I usually open the engine lid to let the heat dissipate but should I just be letting the fans go to work? It seems like letting the heat swell with no ventilation isn't ideal long term.
Put me down on the side that says let the fans work, leave the lid closed.

I have not read all posts so pardon if this is a repeat of what someone else posted.

The fans drive the hot air down and out from the engine compartment.

This is for a very good reason: The hottest parts are the exhaust hardware and these are the bottom of the engine/engine compartment.

If the lid is opened, the hotter air rises and "bakes" the cooler engine parts, the wiring and hoses mainly, which are more affected by higher temps.

Let the fans blow this hot air away from those critical wiring/hoses as the good engineers at Porsche intended.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

These kinds of threads make me laugh.

We buy a Porsche because we regard it so highly, which means some pretty smart engineers must have designed it, then we start to second guess those same engineers feeling that somehow they got it wrong.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight

We buy a Porsche because we regard it so highly, which means some pretty smart engineers must have designed it, then we start to second guess those same engineers feeling that somehow they got it wrong.
There's a video on YouTube that some member suggested watching on another thread. You will find it if you search ' Porsche 911 Documentary ' . It has 5 parts. I found it AMAZING! Best video I've watched in a long time. It's showing Porsche's assembling line in Stuttgart.
For those that doubt Porsche's engineering...
Here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8muMYEVOQ
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
A bunch of really smart German engineers put a fan in there for a reason - let it do its job.
Yeah, but remember...

These are the same guys that put the battery in an electrically-operated compartment.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I converted part of my garage to an air conditioned wind tunnel and I just turn that on for about 30 minutes at 65 degrees. Car is crisp and cool for the next drive.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight

The same engineers that also took what 10 years to get rid of the IMS issue.

Manufacturers have to take into account that most people won't buy a car that should, for long term enthusiast ownership, have the engine lid opened while parked.

My manual says change the oil every 10k miles but I still do it every 5k because it's better for the car.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Put me down on the side that says let the fans work, leave the lid closed.

I have not read all posts so pardon if this is a repeat of what someone else posted.

The fans drive the hot air down and out from the engine compartment.

This is for a very good reason: The hottest parts are the exhaust hardware and these are the bottom of the engine/engine compartment.

If the lid is opened, the hotter air rises and "bakes" the cooler engine parts, the wiring and hoses mainly, which are more affected by higher temps.

Let the fans blow this hot air away from those critical wiring/hoses as the good engineers at Porsche intended.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Thanks for the response macster. This is the kind of details I'm looking for.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Years ago when I lived in a really hot part of the country (Oklahoma) I drove air-cooled 911s, and I got myself a very large box fan and used to pop the decklid, and prop the box fan in there, forcing the air down.

The answer is simple. Do you plan to keep the car awhile? If you plan to keep the car for many years then you want to keep the components from getting ultra hot which will ultimately shorten the life of those components. Wiring looms and other soft material will dry out and crack. So many plastics are used in these cars today that I would expect them to be taking a significant hit due to heat.

Fortunately, if you're in SF and I'm in SB, it just doesn't get THAT hot where we are so any special effort on our part is not necessary. If I were in Oklahoma or Texas I would routinely do the box fan thing again.

Quick Reply: Open the engine lid or let the fans kick in?