Sponsored by:

Arrest me Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Arrest me Red

Got a taste of what it really means to be driving "Arrest me Red". I've heard about red p-cars getting speeding tickets while parked. And for the past 18 months of ownership I've kept it in check below the speed limit... for the most part. Today I got a taste of why they call it "Arrest me Red".

Everything was good as I was pulling away from a stop light with two cars blocking both lanes in front of me. The traffic opened up a bit and I had an opportunity to speed past a few of the cars in front. Although I like to accelerate I always make a point of not going over the speed limit... this time it was 65mph. In fact, I noticed a blue BMW 335i screaming past me... I did not pursue as I notice a Sheriff's car way in back of the pack taking up the pursuit. At 1st I thought he was going for the speeding BMW. Haha... that should teach the bimmer a lesson. But as I turned off the interstate into my neighborhood the patrol car closed in on me instead! In fact, he was tailgating me for the good part of a mile as I crawled thru the neighborhood's 40mph speed limit. The lights and sirens eventually came on. I pulled over expecting the worst with ID and insurance card in hand.

But over the next 15mins we talked about cars. He has a 2012 Corvette. Are RADAR detectors legal in TX - he pointed out the Redline on my windshield and recommended that I get one that was hidden. Was my car turbo charged - he noticed the exhaust note of my new FVD exhaust "sound" system. What type of cigars were the best - he notice the Montecristo baseball cap on my head. We ended up exchanging business cards with tentative plans to have him come join my smoking buddies and I next week for a few Cuban cigars. I guess that was a warning... I love this car!

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-28-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first moved to this area, I had heard horror stories about the local police. But truthfully, I have to say that they appear to be a pretty good bunch of folks. Fair, reasonable.
Now, the DPS is a bit more aggressive IMO.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Holy crap! That is way too funny. LOL. On a slightly similar note, our local PCA club early am run up the coast and back usually has 3 or more police officers of some sort or another driving their Porsches. We drive, uhhhh... enthusiastically... and there are never any speed traps. Many are great guys who love cars.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Dude, go buy a lottery ticket. That's an awesome ending to what could have been a sucky day. Congrats.

I'd leave the cubans in the 'dor when the Sheriff comes by. Just give him time to ease into things before you admit to contraband.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Dude, go buy a lottery ticket. That's an awesome ending to what could have been a sucky day. Congrats.

I'd leave the cubans in the 'dor when the Sheriff comes by. Just give him time to ease into things before you admit to contraband.
proceed with caution. It is LEO after all.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Nothing like a traffic stop with a happy ending. I have a few friends that are PO's and they're all car guys. One even owns a 95 993!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocking. I had a new red BMW and received 5-tickets right before I transferred from Chicago to Washington. Got pulled over tow times. I ended up paying a lawyer $250 and he got me out of all of the tickets.

Great story.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Some of the cops are like this in the Destin/Navarre beach area. I had ripped past a Prius in my Shelby, well the Prius called the Police to report 'someone driving too fast.' Fast forward about 10 minutes, i'm getting a cup of coffee and I notice a cop waiting across the parking lot in a vehicle. So I proceed out of drive-thru and sure enough he follows me and turns on the lights. Told me about a driver reporting the car driving fast. We both laughed, then chatted about engines for a good 15 minutes.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

About 3 years ago I got pulled over by this State trooper for talking on my cell phone and he was very curt with me.

Asked for my liscense and registration and went back to his car. He was also very big (the size of a doorway!!) and serious looking and told me he would have given me a break but he was next to me for many miles and I never even looked at him so there went my break!

He came back after a long time and told me he was giving me a warning on one condition. I smiled very widely and said anything....what is it?

He says "In the spring time (this was winter) on a Friday night, come to the police barracks and drop my car off for him for the weekend! Now he smiled a mile wide! I shook his hand and said thanks and we went our seperate ways.

My experisnce in the many years I'm driving Porsches is that the cops love the cars!

Good Luck to you my friend!

Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default "I'm kinda qbusy..."

Pre-2010, before the speeding laws got nasty here (tow and impound your car for a week if caught speeding > 40kms over the limit, license lost etc...) I was pulled over doing 126 in a 60 zone. The young PO walked up did the standard license, registration etc... then asked if I knew what the speed limit was? I responded with a lame "30 kms / hour” (I had NO idea) and was informed of the 60 kms etc... He then proceeded to compliment me on my car but that he was ”kinda busy" and let me off with a warning! "Kinda busy"! ? Those were the days...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

It is all about your attitude. Don't be an asshat and be respectful and polite. That goes a long ways.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cairo94507
It is all about your attitude. Don't be an asshat and be respectful and polite. That goes a long ways.
1+. I always address PO's with 'Hello sir / Hello mam". It's gotten me swiftly across borders, out of speeding tickets etc... An old Tae Kwon Do habit.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Common sense....right?

Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Common sense....right?

Tom
+1 Absolutely. Kind of reminds of Chris Rock's hilarious bit on how not to get busted by the Po-Lice.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Got a taste of what it really means to be driving "Arrest me Red". I've heard about red p-cars getting speeding tickets while parked. And for the past 18 months of ownership I've kept it in check below the speed limit... for the most part. Today I got a taste of why they call it "Arrest me Red".

Everything was good as I was pulling away from a stop light with two cars blocking both lanes in front of me. The traffic opened up a bit and I had an opportunity to speed past a few of the cars in front. Although I like to accelerate I always make a point of not going over the speed limit... this time it was 65mph. In fact, I noticed a blue BMW 335i screaming past me... I did not pursue as I notice a Sheriff's car way in back of the pack taking up the pursuit. At 1st I thought he was going for the speeding BMW. Haha... that should teach the bimmer a lesson. But as I turned off the interstate into my neighborhood the patrol car closed in on me instead! In fact, he was tailgating me for the good part of a mile as I crawled thru the neighborhood's 40mph speed limit. The lights and sirens eventually came on. I pulled over expecting the worst with ID and insurance card in hand.

But over the next 15mins we talked about cars. He has a 2012 Corvette. Are RADAR detectors legal in TX - he pointed out the Redline on my windshield and recommended that I get one that was hidden. Was my car turbo charged - he noticed the exhaust note of my new FVD exhaust "sound" system. What type of cigars were the best - he notice the Montecristo baseball cap on my head. We ended up exchanging business cards with tentative plans to have him come join my smoking buddies and I next week for a few Cuban cigars. I guess that was a warning... I love this car!
Now thats a great story!

Quick Reply: Arrest me Red