Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension announces latest iPod/Bluetooth integration!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen271
For the 997.1 with PCM and inbuilt phone, when using the 500S for handsfree BT, does it use the factory microphone, or do you need to install the mic that comes with the kit?
+1 ....I would also like to know
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

It uses it's own mic. You don't want to start splicing mic wires, they are terribly thin in the factory mic wiring. The mic is small and is far better up high near the rearview, than down at the steering column.

Easy install.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 AM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

bought one from Eric today, fast response....
any link to an installation guide ? taking interior apart is not my specialty..
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric,
I have a 2007 997 GT3 with a CDR24, no PCM/Nav. Sounds like this won't work, is the best solution still the 500? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by consolidated
Eric,
I have a 2007 997 GT3 with a CDR24, no PCM/Nav. Sounds like this won't work, is the best solution still the 500? Thanks.

Yes. We still offer the Gateway 500 for the CDR and non telephone button PCM.

BellW - instructions were in the email we sent you...check it. Not much panel removal required.

And there is a great writeup on another forum I'll send you.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 AM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How does the Dennison compare to Mobridge? I currently have the Mobridge unit and it OK for BT but the iPod function is not that great.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PM sent.

Dension has been around a very long time, and worked with Porsche to develop the technology in these devices. That said, mObridge is a good product, but we like Dension's features, technology (their own, not someone else's that they slap their own label on), and the fact that Dension is an R&D company - so they are continuously in development. Dension has for many years had the dual fiber optic device of choice - allowing Porsche/Audi/BMW/MB and others to connect their iPod, USB and Aux (and phones) AND retain their cd changers if desired.

Plus, the Dension unit applies across many makes/models, and does not have to be 'configured'...whereas the mObridge product is often model-specific. Not a bad thing, just a feature we like in the Dension, allowing customers to later move their Dension to another vehicle with different configuration, or sell the unit upon selling the car, to a wide audience.

The new 500S BT is a very nice package, with the latest in feature-rich iPod and Bluetooth integration, and now a 5th gen BT chip (compared to the 3rd gen chip in the BTA 1500). So we're seeing better sound quality, wider phone compatibility, etc. With the new technology all built into the main unit, the new 500S BT offers so much more for the money compared to other products.

Another great feature is the on-board USB allowing for firmware updates and/or diagnostics quite easily.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
lonertic
4th Gear

Default horrible support from Dension :(

Nothing against you Eric, but I got screwed pretty hard by Dension...

I bought the GW500+BTA1500 package brand new (from another seller) not knowing about the new 500S BT being released (otherwise I would've waited)... only to find out the BTA1500 isn't fully compatible with AVRCP standards along with a few other issues with the GW500 itself..

I logged a support ticket on cerberus the day I found out about the issue and asked for a firmware update only to be told there isn't one! (despite "upgradable firmware" being one of the key selling points of the BTA1500).. then I prioritized my list of issues and asked them to look into just *ONE* issue I had with AVRCP and they couldn't really be bothered...

the support guy was helpful at first and said he could speak to the "relevant department" and get me a swap-out for the new 500S BT when it's available and so I sent him a copy of my proof-of-purchase and waited for his reply.. sure enough the 500S eventually got released and so I asked to follow up on the swap out and surprise surprise, no response at all, and all emails I've sent them have been systematically ignored since!

So yeah I'm sure you're a great guy but just pointing out that these Dension guys don't really seem to give a crap once they get their sale!! No re-investment into existing products firmwares and just poor after-sales support in general!! .. I just sent them another email too.. probably wont get a response to that either!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 AM
yodaman
3rd Gear

eric, i installed this in my 2008 ctt. got it working but unstable. sometimes i get full menu and sometimes i don't. track listing sometimes hangs as well. i hooked this up on the lighter plug power supply beside the cdc.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If anyone has any issues with units they purchased from us, we offer direct support so you don't need to deal with the online support option unless you want to.

Can't speak for the incident lonertic described as we deal directly with engineers at Dension, but understand they are not the sales channel, so they are not likely to get involved in the situation you described. However, a reputable reseller should have been able to work with you if the situation was clear enough that a) there was a feature that should work as claimed but did not, or b) the sale was made without full disclosure on any of your questions. As for 'once they get the sale' remarks, keep in mind they made the sale to the reseller, one time, so that part should not affect the outcome. The issue for you is what were you told by the reseller before purchase (features) and what has the reseller done to resolve? Not here to defend or support what you experienced, but the bottom line is, the reseller is who you need to work through for resolution. Email me if you get nowhere.

The 500S is a vastly different product, but was only released in late July, so it may be that your reseller did not have knowledge it was coming. As Dension's primary US reseller, we are often engaged in many discussions with Dension's corporate office about features, benefits, costs, etc before product release. And as I mentioned, we work directly with Dension. Others may be just resellers without product knowledge nor direct relationships with Dension. That said, I would still suggest your angst be taken out on your reseller, and make them get you the support you deserve. If a feature was mentioned in any questions you raised before purchase, and the reseller claimed the feature was active, the reseller would be the source of the solution.

Yodaman - did you buy from us? We send very detailed installation information to our customers when we ship, so those issues should be clear, but feel free to email me. We always support our customers with first-class service and support, and if we can't answer the issue/question directly, we go straight to our Dension engineering guys.

And FYI the lighter plug is not the best source for power.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM
JohnWalters
1st Gear

Thumbs up Just installed Dension 500S BT

Well...I had it installed. Bought the unit from Eric. He was great and very patient. No way was I going to attempt the install although I've little doubt it can be done. When I saw my head unit removed and also the glovebox I was convinced I did the right thing. Although the menus aren't particularly intuitive with Eric's help it is operating great. I have an iPod hookup, streaming audio from my iPhone and a surprisingly good Bluetooth phone operation.

Many thanks to Eric! Me happy!

2006 Carrera Cabriolet

****NEW INFORMATION****I have an issue with my Dension 500SBT. Works fine if a call is short. If it lasts more than 5 minutes or so I completely lose the Bluetooth connection. The call is not dropped, I lose the connection and it will not restore unless I shut the car down. Eric has been trying to help me and will continue to do so I'm sure, but this is not fun. I have a iPhone 4 with current IOS loaded. Anyone out there with this problem I'd love to hear about it...thanks!

Last edited by JohnWalters; 11-26-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: New information...
Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Hawkeye Driver
1st Gear

I ordered a 500S BT from Eric early Mon AM and had it in my mail box on Wed. I have a 2006 C4 and at first put it in the trunk next to the CDC. Cables (except for the mic) were just barely long enough to reach the pax compartment so ended up putting it behind the PCM. With that I can no longer use the CDC but don't care because I never use it. Install was super easy. If I had to do it again it would probably take about 30 minutes. Works great, sounds awesome and Eric/Bumper Plugs were super helpful.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnWalters
Well...I had it installed. Bought the unit from Eric. He was great and very patient. No way was I going to attempt the install although I've little doubt it can be done. When I saw my head unit removed and also the glovebox I was convinced I did the right thing. Although the menus aren't particularly intuitive with Eric's help it is operating great. I have an iPod hookup, streaming audio from my iPhone and a surprisingly good Bluetooth phone operation.

Many thanks to Eric! Me happy!

2006 Carrera Cabriolet
Where did you place the mic?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still having echo issues reported by my incoming calls. Can others share their Dension settings so i can optimize mine? Although i like playing music from my iPhone via bluetooth, which works great, i should really have an operational bluetooth phone call too. Thanks for the help.

Oh, btw, it's a 2007 C2S without CD Changer... but i don't think any of that matters, and i placed the mic up by the windshield and the rear view mirror.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhody
I'm still having echo issues reported by my incoming calls. Can others share their Dension settings so i can optimize mine? Although i like playing music from my iPhone via bluetooth, which works great, i should really have an operational bluetooth phone call too. Thanks for the help.

Oh, btw, it's a 2007 C2S without CD Changer... but i don't think any of that matters, and i placed the mic up by the windshield and the rear view mirror.
Do you have the new model or the previous one?

Quick Reply: Dension announces latest iPod/Bluetooth integration!