997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V1 False Laser Detection

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The following is from the Valentine One web site. In additional to tail lights on certain models, the laser equipped cruise controls of Infinity models will also cause the problem. I have 3 V-1's of different vintages in my 3 cars and none false laser very often. Maybe the very newest models are more sensitive.....

Red neon is occasionally used for the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) on new cars. We know of these models: GM Trailblazer and Envoy, the Lincoln Mk VIII and the latest BMW 3-series convertible.

These lights use a neon-plasma light source. The red lens allows red visible light to pass, and also invisible energy near infrared. The source is powered by a pulsating voltage on a frequency that happens to be similar to the repetition rate of legitimate laser-gun pulse trains. In other words, the CHMSLs have an invisible energy leakage that’s nearly identical to the beam used by traffic laser. If we suppress the interference, we’re likely to damage laser sensitivity.

Another source of alarms: a few new cars have cruise controls that use laser to measure distance to the car ahead. This feature is available on the Lexus LS430, Infiniti FX35 and FX45. This, of course, is real laser, not a false alarm.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/answeredalready7.asp
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will also get false alarms at some automatic toll booths and highway overpasses that measure traffic flow/congestion.

Agree that laser jammers are the way to go for real LIDAR threats. It's just difficult to mount the sensors on the frt of a 911 to ensure they are functional without them looking unsightly.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Watch it if you are behind some BMW's, some 700 series set off detectors.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I get laser hits too from the newer cars. They seem to be real laser hits but not lidar - leo hits. Mainly from the rear antenna so I presume it is an adaptive control. Frequency has definitely increased from a year ago. May be a sign of the times to come ... I am not sure if the laser part of the V1 can be programmed to exclude auto laser since auto laser and lidar is probably too close to the same frequency.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by A4EP
I have had my new V1 for about 2 months now and I am finding that I am picking up a huge number of false laser signals daily. I haven't had a V1 since I sold my 986S in 2009 and I only remember the false signals coming from Infiniti SUVs. Now it seems to come from everywhere.

Have more cars started using the same tech as the Infiniti which causes the false signals? Also, I find that I get hit even when no modern cars are around, are the new V1s just more sensitive? I have yet to be hit by an actual police laser gun but I get the reading at least 3 times a day.
Added: I messed up. The radar detector is the Valentine One. The company that makes the radar detector is called Valentine Research.

I won't correct the numerous places I goofed up and used Valentine One to refer to both the detector and the company, but will depend upon the reader to make the corrections mentally.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Doesn't sound like the laser alarm is being triggered by real (though not speed enforcement related) laser.

Sounds like the unit is acting up.

While some vehicles and some roadside signs can trigger laser on the V1 my experience is I do not encounter these sources of laser that often and they are short lived alarms as the vehicle passes by, or I pass the sign.

The one time my V1 started generating a lot of what I believed to be false laser signals the unit was defective.

I called Valentine One and was told to send the unit it and with a check made out to Valentine One for $45.

A few weeks later I received the unit back with the check in the box.

The unit was fixed and Valentine One didn't cash the check. I called in case there was a mix up but I was assured the repair was free.

Now that was some years ago, back in .. well, some years ago.

Recently, within just the last few days, the same V1 now constantly alarms on what's the radar band LED at the bottom of the unit? I can't recall and I oh wait I have thing thing handy... The X Band.

Anyhow, the X band.

When I turn the unit off then back on shortly after it goes through is start up steps it alarms from a X band signal either from ahead or behind then sticks on the side alarm.

The unit appears to have another problem, this time with the X band.

I'm going to call in and arrange to send it for repair.

The V1 has been a very reliable radar detector and has been exposed to high heat and cold for years in my cars and has worked just fine save these two times.

In the meantime, is saved me untold numbers of tickets.

I can easily forgive V1 having to go into the shop just twice in the 12+ years I've owned the thing.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-23-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can disable certain bands such as x to avoid false alarms. if you find laser false alarms to be too much on the freeway due to adaptive cruise control, you can disable the laser band too. if the laser false are in parkin lots, try getting a valentine savvy.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I basically don't remember any false laser alerts or at least its very rare. My V1 is always on (tied to switched power) and I'm a big fan of V1. But I probably need to drive faster to make it earn its keep.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my V1 for 8 years and no complaints. Perhaps contact V1?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get laser alerts all the time, I think it's pretty normal. This might help ... http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/?ex=...-mie6t5-3nbc1t
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in CA most real alerts are from the Ka bands and laser, so I programmed my V1 to auto mute X and K bands, which usually come from non-LEO sources. If you haven't programmed your V1 yet, I can see why you're frustrated with the falses, V1 detects everything!

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/techreport3.asp
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my V1 back in 1994 within 2 weeks of buying the 95 M3. The bimmer was so darn smooth at any speed that highway driving at 65-70 was not possible. But I digress.

At the time, Valentine furnished both a coiled and flat power cord. Perhaps they still do. I have always used the coiled cord as I put the V1 in the glove box when parked and want to present no evidence of its existence to passersby. The coiled cord and visor mount worked better for me.

Fast forward to the GTS. Early this year I experienced intermittent laser alert noise, even after powering up in the garage. I was about to fork over $400 for a new V1 and decided to try the flat cord. Voila, no more V1 performance problems; it was simply a cord integrity power supply problem! I guess 18 years was enough time for flexing to break the electric continuity, though intermittently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V1 False Laser Detection