Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preowned 997 Search...What I've learned.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 96 Posts

i like black...but white is just right
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

Have you checked this one out in the Rennlist Vehicle Classified?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-allen-tx.html
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Have you checked this one out in the Rennlist Vehicle Classified?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-allen-tx.html
He wont be able to see those ads because he's not a paying member.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:35 AM
golfpig
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zues993 - you there ???

Hey fellow Canuck. I am a newbie and looking at buying 997.2 C4S down south. Originally from White Rock living in Calgary. Who do you use for your shipping and paper work?

Would be great if you have reliable and trustworthy vendor. Thinking of flying to Dallas and driving home!!!

Cheers

Golfpig
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkts
Thanks...I really had my heart set on a CPO but that car looks clean on the carfax.
I have had pretty good luck with just the opposite. I only look for cars from private owners, then I hire a transport to pick it up. I have found four this way. You might have a wider selection if you are patient and look for private cars too. Good luck anyway.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

The SD vehicle looks to be priced right, especially given the options and CPO. If you could get any movement off of that price, I think you'd be getting a great deal. Like you, I originally wasn't psyched about black on black, but the car looks pretty badass, and the leather interior is rich. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM
pkts
Advanced

Thanks! Going to see the car in a few hours. Can someone weigh in on the CPO question? Does the car need to be recertified after 60-90 days from the last certification? This one is past 90 days but hasn't been certified again but they are selling it as a CPO

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Nope, I'm pretty much exactly split 50:50. C4S has 50K miles which I'm not excited about but ok with (highway miles) but it is in gray and the car looks awesome. And it was built in March 09. However the dealer won't do a PPI and I'd have to fly to it and cross my fingers. The other car has been PPIed and seems very clean but it's black and black is so, no offense to black P-car lovers, blahhhh. There just isn't that emotional reaction when I see pics of it and it was built 9/08...maybe it'll be different when I see it in person.

Still loving your GTS?
It hasn't arrived yet and should be here on Thursday or Friday. I think the day I talked to you was the day I wired the money to the dealer. If I was patient and waited til winter I know I could've gotten a better deal on a C2S or C4S, but that low mileage GTS for just over what I was willing to pay for a C2S/C4S was too hard to pass up. My girlfriend freaked out when she found out how much I paid for it (she wanted me to spend a lot less on my car) but I had just put down 30k for her on her lexus last week so she got no reason to bitch to me about how much I can spend.

I hope you find your car soon but I think that prices should be dropping soon if you are more patient than I am. I am noticing that many cars are being discounted every week.

Last edited by hakaida702; 07-22-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks! Going to see the car in a few hours. Can someone weigh in on the CPO question? Does the car need to be recertified after 60-90 days from the last certification? This one is past 90 days but hasn't been certified again but they are selling it as a CPO

Thanks!
Not to my knowledge. Do you have a concern that someone taking the car out for a test drive may have done some damage to the car?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

8-11k off? I think my dealer would laugh and tell me to try the Kia dealer.

Your idea of $2500- 3500 off of a solid preowned 997 with a no issues PPI sounds more realistic.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BED997
8-11k off? I think my dealer would laugh and tell me to try the Kia dealer.

Your idea of $2500- 3500 off of a solid preowned 997 with a no issues PPI sounds more realistic.
It depends on how much above true market the dealer has listed the CPO'ed car.

My 09' .2 was CPO'ed and listed at an Omaha, NE Porsche dealer in Jan. of this year at $72K. They immediately rebuffed my first offer so I went dark but restated my offer by email every 3 weeks. It's all about timing. By late Feb. I bought the car at $61.5K.

Realisitcally it should have been listed at about $64-$65 but who can blame them hoping an uneducated buyer would see the $72K asking price and offer $67K thinking they got a great deal. I'm sure it happens.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM
pkts
Advanced

Originally Posted by hakaida702
It hasn't arrived yet and should be here on Thursday or Friday. I think the day I talked to you was the day I wired the money to the dealer. If I was patient and waited til winter I know I could've gotten a better deal on a C2S or C4S, but that low mileage GTS for just over what I was willing to pay for a C2S/C4S was too hard to pass up. My girlfriend freaked out when she found out how much I paid for it (she wanted me to spend a lot less on my car) but I had just put down 30k for her on her lexus last week so she got no reason to bitch to me about how much I can spend.

I hope you find your car soon but I think that prices should be dropping soon if you are more patient than I am. I am noticing that many cars are being discounted every week.
I agree about waiting. I woke up on Sat thinking I'd be driving the car home but the cosmetic condition was just not there. I swear my eyes couldn't travel 2 inches without seeing a scratch or a weird little bit of damage. Nothing was egregious but all combined it was. My thought was "WTF was the previous owner doing to this car?". It looked like about 10 years of wear and tear and it has completely made me lose interest in a black P car. Frankly, I'm doubting my interest in a 997 based on this car (I know that is stupid and illogical...just a gut feeling I can't shake).

Mechanically it was excellent which is funny since that was the thing I was fixated on and worried about. I drove the car for about 45 minutes and then took it to Black Forrest to check the codes and none were generated. I have come across two cars with these faults and it seems they are just generated by a low battery from the car sitting on the lot. Have to praise the sales guy (Justin Lopez)...he was really helpful throughout the process and def low pressure. I'd use him again if could.

In addition to this car souring me on the experience, I kind of feel that the 911 is too much car for me I guess I'm just a ***** driver. I'm thinking a more underpowered Cayman (or new Boxster) might be more my style...just don't think I can use 50% of the 911s power. I apologize for making this comment on the 997 side

Thursday/Fridays going to be an amazing day for you. I've learned to leave my girlfriends in the dark about my finances...now a wife....you're stuck there
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
pkts
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast1
Not to my knowledge. Do you have a concern that someone taking the car out for a test drive may have done some damage to the car?
No, it was just something I read on here. I asked the sales guy and he said that after 60-90 the paperwork just has to be resubmitted but they don't have to do the certification process again.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

When I bought my 07 C2s Cab, about 2 months ago, I was in a similar position of wanting to stay within 100 miles, and also wanting to trade an 05 987. I found one on a lot that had been there for a couple of months, and made an offer. I walked away several times, and finally bought it after 6 weeks of negotiating.

I got the dealer to come down by $5K from the asking price, and $2K better than his initial walk away price.

Once I decided on the car, I dealt with the sales guy via email, since it took out the emotion, and I feel I got a better deal. I aslo think I got a pretty good price on my 987.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I agree about waiting. I woke up on Sat thinking I'd be driving the car home but the cosmetic condition was just not there. I swear my eyes couldn't travel 2 inches without seeing a scratch or a weird little bit of damage. Nothing was egregious but all combined it was. My thought was "WTF was the previous owner doing to this car?". It looked like about 10 years of wear and tear and it has completely made me lose interest in a black P car. Frankly, I'm doubting my interest in a 997 based on this car (I know that is stupid and illogical...just a gut feeling I can't shake).

Mechanically it was excellent which is funny since that was the thing I was fixated on and worried about. I drove the car for about 45 minutes and then took it to Black Forrest to check the codes and none were generated. I have come across two cars with these faults and it seems they are just generated by a low battery from the car sitting on the lot. Have to praise the sales guy (Justin Lopez)...he was really helpful throughout the process and def low pressure. I'd use him again if could.

In addition to this car souring me on the experience, I kind of feel that the 911 is too much car for me I guess I'm just a ***** driver. I'm thinking a more underpowered Cayman (or new Boxster) might be more my style...just don't think I can use 50% of the 911s power. I apologize for making this comment on the 997 side

Thursday/Fridays going to be an amazing day for you. I've learned to leave my girlfriends in the dark about my finances...now a wife....you're stuck there
The biggest problem about owning a cayman or new boxster is depreciation. I thought about different porsches when I first started looking and figured that if I hold on to this car for a long time then the 911 will not depreciate as much as the other cars. Plus many here think the 997 will be a classic unlike the 996. And when you get a car with power you are not used to you will get used to it quickly and want more.

Quick Reply: Preowned 997 Search...What I've learned.