Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window/dash area whistle at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window/dash area whistle at high speed?

Finally had an unoccupied stretch of newish, smooth open highway and decided to make a little trip near the upper end of the 5th gear. Around that point I started to hear what sounded like a whistle or whistling howl from what sounded like the dash area and windshield, but I had to slow down rather soon and of course it then stopped.

Anyone experience this? Only at very high speed. And I never had it in years past when I would get the car up this fast.

Convertible top was up of course and my seal has always been fine.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have that in my coupe!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There must be a breach in the hull.

Last edited by Spokane5150; 07-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that on my car. Took me a while, eventually I found that mine was caused by the three-pieces plastic covers in the frunk right under the wipers (those covers that we remove to access the battery, cabin filter, etc.)

The three plastic covers were not screwed down tight enough by those flimsy plastic screws, hence they didn't align well and created the whistle during high speed driving.

I took my time to remove all three covers, reinsert them, make sure all latch well, tighten the plastic screws, double check; and that solved my problem.

Not sure if it is applicable to the case of OP, yet worth a try.

With best regards,
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, will try that.

Don't have these open stretches very often when the road is great & smooth and a lack of other cars around me. I envy those who see the top of 5th gear more than I do.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Another area that was long known as a problem is the side mirrors. The very first test drive I took in 2005 of a 997 revealed that as a major league irritant. They sometimes need to be sealed up. Mine was good from the factory but over time (or heavy-league bug strikes) it had to be played with.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Another area that was long known as a problem is the side mirrors. The very first test drive I took in 2005 of a 997 revealed that as a major league irritant. They sometimes need to be sealed up. Mine was good from the factory but over time (or heavy-league bug strikes) it had to be played with.
I have the same issue with my 05 997. When I have the sunroof cracked open I get the wind whistle at the drivers mirror area of the door. Any idea how I can fix it?
I applied electrical tape on all the outside seams of the mirror and still got the whistle so I am wondering exactly where the noise is coming from.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:37 AM
GlockandRoll
6th Gear

My 986 Boxster S does this, any idea what it could be?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by GlockandRoll
My 986 Boxster S does this, any idea what it could be?
I had a 2000 Boxster S that had that problem.... common with this body style. It came from the hood alignment and can be addressed by adjusting the two posts on the leading end of the hood. Way to long ago to remember what worked for me, but before you start adjusting, you must ensure that is where the noise is coming from. Get a roll of blue painter's tape and tape across the hood-bumper gap and go for a drive. It that is not it, then remove the tape and place it in other places such as the windshield-frame gap... and on and on and on. You will find it.

I also got wind noise from my driver's side window. For that, the tech at the dealer moved the window OUT (not in the direction intuition dictated) by popping the rubber plugs under the door, lossened to bolts up in there, pushed the window to cant OUT. Only about 1/4" was needed.... took him a total of three minutes to adjust.

Sometimes the solution is counter-intuitive where pushing something OUT into the wind will work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-05-2019, 11:28 AM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
I have the same issue with my 05 997. When I have the sunroof cracked open I get the wind whistle at the drivers mirror area of the door. Any idea how I can fix it?
I applied electrical tape on all the outside seams of the mirror and still got the whistle so I am wondering exactly where the noise is coming from.
If you search there's an old thread on here or 6speed about it. Basically just a little bit of clear silicone along the seam in the mirror housing. Did the trick for me.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:27 PM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a noise on my 2006 that sounded almost like a kazoo at highway speeds. Annoying as hell. I found that there was a bit of gap between the windshield and seal. You could move it around with your fingers and I think it vibrated in the wind at speed. I ended up buying some very sticky black rope stuff and stuffed it int he gap and that fixed it right off. I think there was actually a service bulletin out on it and gave the product name to use.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:12 PM
GlockandRoll
6th Gear

Originally Posted by halsyknox
I had a noise on my 2006 that sounded almost like a kazoo at highway speeds. Annoying as hell. I found that there was a bit of gap between the windshield and seal. You could move it around with your fingers and I think it vibrated in the wind at speed. I ended up buying some very sticky black rope stuff and stuffed it int he gap and that fixed it right off. I think there was actually a service bulletin out on it and gave the product name to use.
Interesting, I'll check that out and get my son to help while driving.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM
GlockandRoll
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I had a 2000 Boxster S that had that problem.... common with this body style. It came from the hood alignment and can be addressed by adjusting the two posts on the leading end of the hood. Way to long ago to remember what worked for me, but before you start adjusting, you must ensure that is where the noise is coming from. Get a roll of blue painter's tape and tape across the hood-bumper gap and go for a drive. It that is not it, then remove the tape and place it in other places such as the windshield-frame gap... and on and on and on. You will find it.

I also got wind noise from my driver's side window. For that, the tech at the dealer moved the window OUT (not in the direction intuition dictated) by popping the rubber plugs under the door, lossened to bolts up in there, pushed the window to cant OUT. Only about 1/4" was needed.... took him a total of three minutes to adjust.

Sometimes the solution is counter-intuitive where pushing something OUT into the wind will work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:08 AM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by halsyknox
I have a 2011 that needed a replacement for a cracked windshield. I noticed that the new one moved a bit on the upper passenger side and sounded like a jet taking off above 40 mph. The tech insisted that it must have been misshapen from the supplier. He exchanged it for another at the dealer and that one was fine. At any rate, they can get very noisy if the seal is bad.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
I have a 2011 that needed a replacement for a cracked windshield. I noticed that the new one moved a bit on the upper passenger side and sounded like a jet taking off above 40 mph. The tech insisted that it must have been misshapen from the supplier. He exchanged it for another at the dealer and that one was fine. At any rate, they can get very noisy if the seal is bad.

Who did the work? Do you know what the glass maker was and is in your car now? In short, I will only accept OEM glass installed by a dealer... I got stories. SafeLite is famous for using cheap glass, much of it Chinese and while it may meet saftey regulations, I have multiple windshields with warps and other nasties.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Window/dash area whistle at high speed?