Sponsored by:

Oil Leak....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
By the time we finish guessing your tech will have it fixed Please post what they find
Will do.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Update....

There are 4 issues, here's an update from the dealer.
1. Oil Leak
2. Ignition Switch
3. Misfire
4. Slow crank A.K.A alternator-starter-battery harness damage at starter terminal.

Car is CPO'd until Jan 2013, i told the service guy that i want all these things taken care of before warranty runs out. I do not want to have this discussion 6 months passed the warranty.

1. Regarding the misfires – we have misfires stored for 1 bank on the engine. Engine is not currently misfiring. We believe there is a failed camshaft adjustment solenoid that is faulty, however without the engine misfiring right now, what we did was swap this sensor from bank 1 and bank 2, currently running the engine to see if the faults stay the same or change. If the fault comes back for the same bank after the sensors were swapped, we know it’s not a sensor. If the fault moves to the other bank, we know we’ve moved the problem by moving the sensor.

2. Oil leak – there was a damp spot on the back of the passenger side of the engine. Currently not leaking or dripping however there is a crank case valve (vents crank case pressure) that may be to blame for the oil leak. Prior to swapping the above sensors and running the engine, we cleaned/degreased the area that was wet and will check to see if this valve appears to be leaking to any degree.

3. Ignition switch – unable to verify this also, however there is a fault for the steering lock control module. This is being diagnosed currently, I will update you with these findings when I have them available.

4. Lastly, the voltage drop check has to be done after everything is up to temperature. Once the car gets done running, and gets to a certain temperature, we will check this. Also, per the bulletin, we will check the starter-cable crimp to make sure that this is OK or not.

I am more concerned with the slow crank. I also own a VW TDI and even that starts better than my Porsche. The 997 is 2007 C4S with 31,000 miles on the clock.

Thank you,

John
Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rerlax. They will get it put right. The cranking thing is a known problem on early cars. I keep my 06 on a trickle charger and it's fine. Replacing the cable is labor intensive buit you should not have to pay. Someone here fixed it by recrimping the end as I remember. The rest of it sounds like a piece of cake

Quick Reply: Oil Leak....